Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training for long line

+10
45 MIKE
SteveT
rich.tullo
Froneck
sixftunda
Rob Kovach
jmdavis
Ghillieman
dronning
T.Mac
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Training for long line - Page 2 Empty Training for long line

Post by T.Mac 6/15/2015, 8:41 am

First topic message reminder :

What are your thoughts on how to train for the long line?  I'm quite new to bullseye, and am loving it, but I struggle at 50yds. I've heard some say to start shorter and focus on getting the group size down, and translate that to a greater distance over time.  Others preach the "train how you fight" mentality and suggest pushing through the struggle at 50 to see what works and what doesn't.   What worked for you when you were first starting out?

T.Mac

Back to top Go down

Training for long line - Page 2 Empty Re: Training for long line

Post by T.Mac 6/19/2015, 8:00 am

Thank you all for your replies.  I'll keep upping the dry-fire.  I think I've finally had a good epiphany moment with my grip to get it the same every time and keep it strong throughout slow and timed/rapid fire strings.  I just downloaded a copy of the Marine Manual and will try some of those drills.  

See you on the line

T.Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/19/2015, 9:57 am

A lot here that has been posted about how to shoot a long line good score, all good info. However first before doing any training be sure the gun will shoot at least a 3" group at 50 yards. Smaller group is better. If the gun will not shoot a good group no amount of training will help! It may even cause poor shooting techniques.
 Bad shots are forgotten concentrate on the good! Adam would mention the Sutherland's phrase in Kelly's Heroes "No Negative waves" often.
 Also develop your own style. You can shoot a gun, hold the gun, put your finger on the trigger and stand exactly like Zins but your not going to shoot like him simply because you are Not Him! We are all different, however master the basics! Understand what they mean and why they are used!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 6/19/2015, 2:06 pm

Froneck wrote:
s1120 wrote:I went into this fearing the 50yd shots. My range is only about 20, so I was really shooting that 50yd shots for the first time at my first meet. What did I learn? Frankly bolth the 25, and 50yd targets were tough for this newbie, but really the 50 was really not any harder. At my limited skills anyways is showing the work I do at 25 is working toward the 50 also. I no longer worry about it. Not harder for me.... just different.
 That's quite interesting, may I ask the score you are shooting and what guns your using?

Sure..  My pistol is a early 60's High Standard 103, that in much better hands [my late Dads..] had shot in Master levels. Im nowere near that level, and am only shooting sharpshooter level. Ive learned that a lot is a mind game, and once I stopped fearing the tough shots, Ive seen my groups tighten.  For me anyways, at my level, All I do at the short line will help. I stopped fearing the long line. I guess when I advance in the sport, It might because a factor more, but for now its different... but not harder.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/20/2015, 8:55 am

Hi Paul; You should test the gun, any gun may develop problems with use, Something could have hit the muzzle and put a burr on the crown or who know what else may have happened over the years. Test the gun to be sure it's shooting great.
 I'm sure your Dad was a good shot and may have rated higher than Master by today's rating since Master was as high as there was a while ago.
 To practice at your 20 yard range get the reduced slow fire targets. I think the B-4 is s slow fire target for 20 yards and B-16 for 25 yards.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2