Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices?

+5
C.Perkins
AllAces
Fire Escape
jmdavis
tschiemer
9 posters

Go down

S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices? Empty S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices?

Post by tschiemer 7/2/2015, 8:47 pm

Is each one really different, so you cannot say the best for accuracy?

You have to sandbag your gun and test each to find what shoots most accurately? This is always what I have read. I have not had a model 41 in over 20 years. I bought: CCI Green Tag, Norma 22 Black and White Box-- Tac 22 and Match 22. Tomorrow have Ely arriving. Any others?

My gun: PS Ignore the fingerprints, oil and shadows! I struggled to raise money to get it at $850 but am so glad as it and my 52-1 S&W are heavily favored of all the guns I have shot at a target.

S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices? 0181A053-0B8E-4031-888C-491FF8AB355E_zps4pc7bqaa

Thank you. robert

Last edited by tschiemer on 7/2/2015, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

tschiemer

http://www.tschiemerlegalbriefing.com

Back to top Go down

S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices? Empty Re: S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices?

Post by tschiemer 7/2/2015, 9:07 pm

PS The latter arriving tomorrow from a trade is Eley tenex ultimate eps ...

tschiemer

Back to top Go down

S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices? Empty Re: S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices?

Post by jmdavis 7/2/2015, 9:16 pm

It's a good looking gun. Good luck with it.

I've shot 2000 rounds of Norma Match out of a Pardini and a Benelli. It shoots well and is first choice for the benelli. Eley Club shoots best out of the pardini. Practice ammo is cci std for the benelli and Norma TAC for the Pardini. The Cci is almost as accurate in the benelli as the Norma, but it tends to jam once per box.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 7/3/2015, 9:06 am

I am anxiously waiting to see what you get for responses although I expect that I will have to test for myself. After 40+ years of always needing something else more, I bought my Model 41 yesterday. It was sitting on the (used) shelf at my LGS the day before when I went in for powder (they had Bullseye!), I had not seen one in years (sitting out for sale) but passed it by with the usual 'should not spend the money' thought process. After brooding about it overnight I decided there were only so many years left to put it off and went back and bought it. So now I need to take it out and see if I got one of the miracle guns I read about most of my life or one of the ones that won't cycle and can't hit a barn from the inside that I have heard mention of on occasion.
Enjoy your new 'toy'!

Bruce

Well, my first concern is no longer a question, I ran a box of CCI-SV through it this afternoon and it functioned 100%. So far so good. I was not on a 'real' range, just the gravel pit down the road so I can't say that I tested the accuracy (I don't hold that well). I was hitting left as I always do with a new (to me) gun and very low. Lost track of how many clicks I came up. Initially the sight would only move right (some previously hidden rust on the blade says it had not been moved in a long time and I suspect that it was cranked all the way down to clear some type of optical sight. A little finessing and the sight moves left and right now, still a little low for my 6 o'clock hold but I will get there.
I have a pile of odd lots of ammo to try, of course when I figure out what it prefers I will be screwed because I won't be able to get more.

Last edited by Fire Escape on 7/3/2015, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : first 'test' results)

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 7/3/2015, 6:23 pm

I have tested lots of different ammo in my M41 and they all grouped in the X ring at 50yards.  CC I std vel was the largest group and eley target the smallest. At 25 yards the M41 can group half inch.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 7/3/2015, 7:06 pm

When I was shooting an M41 CCI-SV did very well.
Of coarse the premium stuff was a bit more accurate but the 10 ring is the 10 ring Smile
IMHO the CCI-SV can take you to Master out of the M41.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by tschiemer 7/3/2015, 7:29 pm

I worked a trade with a competitor for 52 mags and got the second shipment of this today! I have never shot any of this and look forward to trying!

S&W 41 standard barrel- best ammo choices? 726C7866-5233-45E0-9AEE-52BA35BB191C_zpsgl9j03ol

tschiemer

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/4/2015, 8:47 am

Don't shoot it all up in the gravel pit! Laughing
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by tschiemer 7/4/2015, 8:54 am

The trouble with trading is you get nice stuff you would not be able to buy so you are almost reluctant to shoot -- but still -- it is cheaper than shooting factory 1911 ammo, will probably slowly shoot this.  Shooting freehand, the Norma match- 22 white box seemed more accurate than my CCI Green tag in my pistol.

tschiemer

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 7/12/2015, 6:20 am

I also recently bought a early 80's M41. Wow, what a step up from my MKIII as far as trigger. I've put about 1000 CCI SV rounds through it, no malfunctions. Plenty accurate for this sharpshooter.....
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 7/12/2015, 7:50 am

Don't waste your money on Green Tag unless it's the only thing you can find.  Every gun is different, but I have Ransom Rest tested my Marvel with Green Tag, CCI SV, Eley Target, Wolf Match Target, and SK Pistol Match Special.  The Green Tag was the worst and was significantly poorer than the cheaper CCI SV.  I think others on here have had similar experiences.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 7/12/2015, 10:37 am

Dr.Don wrote:Don't waste your money on Green Tag unless it's the only thing you can find.  Every gun is different, but I have Ransom Rest tested my Marvel with Green Tag, CCI SV, Eley Target, Wolf Match Target, and SK Pistol Match Special.  The Green Tag was the worst and was significantly poorer than the cheaper CCI SV.  I think others on here have had similar experiences.
I agree.. I have tested a lot of 22s and 22 ammo.. Nothing has ever out shot Eley red box.. Some come close, but never equal..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down