Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pistol Shooter - Looking for Guidance on Handloading

+7
LenV
dronning
STEVE SAMELAK
davekp
kwixdraw
Wobbley
Windlogik
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Pistol Shooter - Looking for Guidance on Handloading - Page 2 Empty New Pistol Shooter - Looking for Guidance on Handloading

Post by Windlogik 8/6/2015, 10:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Greetings everyone. I'm starting to shoot pistol and have mainly shot 22s. I have a 45, and want to start working with that. I am an experienced, competitive rifleman, so I have a basic understanding of handloading. I have also loaded a lot of .40 SW in the past. I understand the basics pretty well. As I have begun to research loads for bullseye, I haven't found a lot of material available for loads. And, of course it is preferable to use light-recoiling loads which aren't necessarily those listed in manuals. I will be shooting the 45 for centerfire and 45, and a Smith M 14, 38 special for revolver matches.

One thing I can't figure out, how do I determine the best OAL for a pistol load? It seems that there are some rules of thumb for this, and I don't know what they are or how to do this right. The manuals don't seem to be all that helpful with this. How do I figure this out for both the 45 auto and the 38 revolver?

I will be shooting 185 lead semi wad cutters and 185 jacketed hollow points in the 45 with bullseye. What is a good target velocity? Is there any benefit to using a lead hollow point wad cutter? What are typical loads, with bullseye powder, for these bullets?

I will be shooting 158 lead semi wad cutters in the 38. What is a good target velocity? What are typical loads with bullseye powder?

Thank you in advance. What a Face

Windlogik

Back to top Go down

New Pistol Shooter - Looking for Guidance on Handloading - Page 2 Empty Re: New Pistol Shooter - Looking for Guidance on Handloading

Post by james r chapman 8/7/2015, 6:05 pm

New Pistol Shooter - Looking for Guidance on Handloading - Page 2 56aa29ce-02c7-4e9e-80f6-cff9d9d31d83_zps0qojkp32

This is a factory Magtech 158 gr lead rn cartridge of current manufacture. Bs0324 L-1038

The measured OAL is 1.530 inches.

The factory specs as printed on the box are MV=754 fps velocities from a 4" vented bbl.

My chronographing of these cartridges has put them in the 825-850 range.

Last edited by james r chapman on 8/8/2015, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dimensions added.)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2