Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials

+5
AllAces
Jon Eulette
jmdavis
mspingeld
JayhawkNavy02
9 posters

Go down

Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials Empty Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm looking at picking up some instruction material.  The Advanced Pistol Guide is great and I plan on picking that up, but what about the Bullseye Pistol Competition DVD set from DVD?   Has anyone used it and is it worth it?

Thanks,
Derek

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=778&item=&sfv=&cat=BKS

Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials ViewImage.aspx?type=jpg&path=%5c%5cELI1%5cACCT%5celliott7%5cIMAGES%5cNLUs%5c778_s

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=771DVD&item=&sfv=&cat=BKS&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=¬e1=¬e2=¬e3=¬e4=¬e5=&max=

Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials ViewImage.aspx?type=jpg&path=%5c%5cELI1%5cACCT%5celliott7%5cIMAGES%5c771

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials Empty Re: Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials

Post by mspingeld Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:25 pm

See if you can find a used copy of A. A. Yur'Yev's book but my go to references have been Ed Hall's articles. I get more out of them every time I re-read them. (Free but priceless) http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/12PPC01.html

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials Empty Re: Pistol Marksmanship Training Materials

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:30 pm

Very Cool!  Ed is a class act and it's been a pleasure to shoot next to him and his Team.  I didn't realize he had such great articles, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.  Thank you for the link.  I will be printing these off.

Have you seen the AMU videos?
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:31 pm

No but I've read the manual. Good info but a little dry.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 pm

You've got the Marine corps workbook, already? Oh, and Pistol Shooters treasury. It's old, but it's still valuable. Finally, look for the Keith Sanderson videos on YouTube.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:55 pm

http://www.bullseyepistol.com
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:17 pm

jmdavis wrote:You've got the Marine corps workbook, already? Oh, and Pistol Shooters treasury. It's old, but it's still valuable. Finally, look for the Keith Sanderson videos on YouTube.

Yes, I have the AMU Basic Pistol Marksmanship Book, Pistol Shooters Treasury and the USMC Workbook.

The Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Book is very good, but wasn't sure about their videos.  I didn't even realize Keith Sanderson had YouTube videos.   Very cool.

Looks like nobody had seen the videos...I may need to buy it just to check it out or call Froneck and see if he can ask if his son knows anything about it.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:35 am

I wouldn't spend the $$$ on the AA YurYev book until you're pushing high master. It's too much information in my opinion for the newer shooter. The other references are enough. Think of YurYev like getting your Doctorate.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks Jon, as always sage advice from a HM.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:03 am

I have the pistol and rifle dvds. I felt like I got more from the rifle than the pistol and I'm not sure why. As far as advice on exercises and mental techniques, there wasn't much. Pm me your information and I will send them to you this week.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 am

Very cool.  Thanks.   I went through Ed Hall's articles and I'll combine that with the AMU Advanced Book.  Hopefully that will be a good start. PM sent Wink
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 am

Anyone have a PowerPoint presentation on handgun safety and marksmanship they can share?
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:37 am

I highly recommend finding a master level competitor to mentor you. You will make the biggest gains having someone watch you shoot and make corrections to your fudamentals as you perform them. One on one instruction is not replaceable with a book. That's why the military teams are so good. You'd be surprised at many military shooters who have broke 2650 and never opened a book.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 am

Jon,

Completely agree.  I'm new to the San Diego BE scene after a PCS move and looking for a mentor, which I was lucky enough to have while stationed in Virginia.  I'll be shooting in the Escondido and Southbay leagues and looking for someone to do just that.  The study materials are a nice augment in the interim.

Derek
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:11 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I highly recommend finding a master level competitor to mentor you. You will make the biggest gains having someone watch you shoot and make corrections to your fudamentals as you perform them. One on one instruction is not replaceable with a book. That's why the military teams are so good. You'd be surprised at many military shooters who have broke 2650 and never opened a book.
Jon

+1000 to that one. Is not easy o find them sometimes but they are out there.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:47 am

JayHawkNavy has the right idea:
Join as many leagues as possible and travel to as many matches as possible.  You WILL find good mentors and coaches that way.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Jon Eulette wrote: You will make the biggest gains having someone watch you shoot and make corrections to your fudamentals as you perform them. One on one instruction is not replaceable with a book. That's why the military teams are so good. You'd be surprised at many military shooters who have broke 2650 and never opened a book.
Jon
This was really brought to my attention at Perry this year during the team matches. 

I've been struggling the last couple years trying to maintain an Expert level.  I had rotator cuff surgery 4 years ago and my scores tanked.  I've been slowly working my upper body back to about 90% of where I was, and forgot to keep my mind on the whole picture.

He noticed that I was relaxing my back knee when at the line.  The sponginess in my stance was wrecking my ability to minimize my left & right sway.  Now I make a conscious effort to lock in my "Foundation".  Rick, one of my teammates, noticed the leg relaxing/collapsing and brought it to my attention.  Now Perry probably isn't the best place to try and correct flaws, but it helped a bit at the time and I've been working on keeping my foundation more at the top of my shooting plan until it again becomes second nature.

Thanks Rick!

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I highly recommend finding a master level competitor to mentor you. You will make the biggest gains having someone watch you shoot and make corrections to your fudamentals as you perform them. One on one instruction is not replaceable with a book. That's why the military teams are so good. You'd be surprised at many military shooters who have broke 2650 and never opened a book.
Jon

I thank Steve Reiter for my master card.
In his own way he mentored me.
One hell of a guy with some of the most dry assed  humor you can imagine Smile

I need to give Steve a call.
Have not touched base since the move out east.

Clarence

Update;
Just got off the phone with Steve, great catch up conversation.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 pm

The military teams have an advantage I have never heard mentioned. There is a lot said about how they deveolop shooters and desevedly so, but, they identify the shooters with the potential and develop them. I was a 2585 shooter.  I tried a long time to improve but didn't. They would have either forced my scores higher or dropped me. If you don't progress per their req. they move to another shooter.

Over the yrs I took quite a number of of new candidates to the range and recall 4 that hadd potentia

l to be good shootres. I was unable to talk any of them into buying guns and continuing. 2 had very good jobs with time demamds, 1 thought I tried to push him into competition before he was ready, and the fourth had way too many other interests.
This exp is likely typical of yours.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down