Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend

+7
Dave C.
jglenn21
james r chapman
Wobbley
kwixdraw
Fire Escape
DonBrummer
11 posters

Go down

What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend  Empty What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend

Post by DonBrummer 10/7/2015, 10:09 pm

I need a good solution.  Any recommendations?
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend  Empty Re: What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend

Post by Fire Escape 10/7/2015, 10:31 pm

I have not tried them all but never found any to be all that effective. I generally resort to a 'Lewis Lead Remover'.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend  Empty Re: What Lead Cleaner Do You Recommend

Post by kwixdraw 10/8/2015, 12:20 am

Shooters Choice for me
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/8/2015, 12:35 am

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Cleaning-Maintenance/Lead-Remover-and-Polishing-Cloth-6-x-9.aspx has worked OK for me especially for mild leading.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw 10/8/2015, 12:46 am

Some of those lead cloths work well on the face of revolver cylinders if you shoot those.  You can cut strips to use as patches too.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/8/2015, 1:24 am

Any of the Foul Out systems.  They pretty much get rid of all of the lead in barrels.  The Cop-Out works great for copper fouling as well.

Issues:

1.  IF you can find the kits and the solutions.  There are recipes to make similar solutions posted on the web and apparently sources to buy the ingredients.

2.  IF you are prepared to grow a 3rd eye or a tail or worse if you don't take the necessary precautions using them.  

Like DDT, Carbon Tet, etc.  There are pretty good reasons why those kind of things are not used or available anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/8/2015, 6:03 am

Used to use mercury,  affraid now I use a lewis lead remover....
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 10/8/2015, 9:31 am

kwixdraw wrote:Some of those lead cloths work well on the face of revolver cylinders if you shoot those.  You can cut strips to use as patches too.

Good reminder, I have had very good luck cutting patches from them as well. They are great for removing the black rings on the front of stainless cylinders.

They do carry (at least the ones I have used) a warning about potential damage to nickel finished guns if you are shooting one be forewarned.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/8/2015, 11:56 am

james r chapman wrote:Used to use mercury,  affraid now I use a lewis lead remover....

Ah yes... always worked like a champ 

just dangerous as all get out...still have some but don't use it any more.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/8/2015, 12:00 pm

if you are getting serious leading I'd look hard at your bullet lube.

the only thing I still have an issue with is my wife's 52 shooting swaged  HBWC bullets and it's very mild.

In addition to the Lewis unit I will also use copper Chore-Boy scrubbers  that you can get at any grocery. Wrapped around a brass brush they will do a great job of getting the lead out
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 10/8/2015, 6:54 pm

For the 45 I use a 50 cal brush. 
And remember FIT IS KING!  If the bullet is under sized it will lead.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 10/9/2015, 10:13 pm

White vinegar & peroxide mixed 1:1 will dissolve lead if soaked over night.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/9/2015, 10:48 pm

igolfat8 wrote:White vinegar & peroxide mixed 1:1 will dissolve lead if soaked over night.

From what I've read, it works very well! The problem is the highly toxic compounds remaining after cleaning.
something you wouldn't want to toss randomly out, but, best handled by a waste facility...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 10/10/2015, 10:19 am

jglenn21 wrote:if you are getting serious leading I'd look hard at your bullet lube.

the only thing I still have an issue with is my wife's 52 shooting swaged  HBWC bullets and it's very mild.

In addition to the Lewis unit I will also use copper Chore-Boy scrubbers  that you can get at any grocery. Wrapped around a brass brush they will do a great job of getting the lead out

I feel, the old soft lead myth is the culprit with 38 ammo..I get zero leading from PENN 45 cast projectiles.  I recently talked with Zero about their 38 HBWC projectiles. They have added alloy to bring the hardness up and counter the leading issues in 38.. Even back in my PPC revolver days, I would pull a Lewis screen thru the bore during the prep period at the 50 yard line. Star bullets were terrible... I switched to Remington, which were much better.
Also, alloy is expensive.. Note the cost of tin lately..??
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinB 10/10/2015, 11:37 am

Leading in revolvers is usually undersized cylinder throats, several gunsmiths offer throat honing to match up throats to bore size.  Had it done on a 45 colt blackhawk and it worked well.

KevinB

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 10/17/2015, 4:15 am

igolfat8 wrote:White vinegar & peroxide mixed 1:1 will dissolve lead if soaked over night.
Tried that on a bullet mould and got some pitting of the iron! Lucky none were in the cavity itself.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw 10/17/2015, 4:33 am

I have use a Q-tip with vinegar to clean molds but not with peroxide. Talking about a quick scrub and a wipe out with alcohol afterward, not a soak. Melt the lead off of molds.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down