Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership

+6
DavidR
Wobbley
Fire Escape
DeweyHales
jmdavis
Schaumannk
10 posters

Go down

USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership Empty USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership

Post by Schaumannk Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Folks, it has tuned nasty.  

You can read about it here.    Not our fight I know, but could be a precursor of our possible coming battle with the NRA.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/sports/olympics/legal-dispute-roils-usa-shooting-team-as-rio-olympics-approach.html?_r=0

There is also a go fund me web site to support the athletes in their fight.  

I donated ( in place of rejoining USA shooting which I am due for.). Hope some of you will contribute too.  Lots of cross over between Olympic shooting and bullseye.  

Here is the donation web site

https://www.gofundme.com/a4usascompliance

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership Empty Re: USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership

Post by jmdavis Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Definitely nasty and indicative of the kind of toxic environment that the athletes are protesting. Will make donation.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership Empty Re: USA shooting athletes and some board members in a fight with the leadership

Post by DeweyHales Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:09 am

The situation sounds pretty shady.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:13 am

I thought that I could 'hold my tongue' and stay away from this topic, didn't work.
I will start by saying that I do have great respect for the athletes and their efforts.
That said, it sounds as though (from our one sided information) USA Shooting has chosen to emulate their 'superiors' and act like Olympic Officials. Arrogance and self importance has long appeared to be mandatory 'qualities' for those in charge of such events. The concept of fair and equal was lost long, long ago. We are a fairly 'long in tooth' crowd here, who does not recall watching the Olympics and hearing 'well that was a great routine, performance, jump, etc. but it only scored a 7 from the Russian judge?'
Venues chosen based on what city could produce the highest bribes? Full time, paid amateur athletes? What is considered to be an Olympic 'sport' is based almost entirely on what revenue it can produce.
I will shut myself off now by saying that I stopped paying attention to USA Shooting when they decided that they could generate more income (or keep more for themselves) by distancing themselves from the NRA.
Certainly a sad situation for the athletes, they have to choose whether or not to compete in an atmosphere that exemplifies the adage that "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:04 pm

I think Shooting USA was set up because the busybodies at ISU and maybe the Olympics didn't like the political posturing of the NRA at the time.  Probably still don't.  

The current troubles Shooting USA find themselves are more typical of national governing bodies in other sports and countries.  Seems to be human nature. Sad tho it is.

Last edited by Wobbley on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : autocorrect)
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:16 pm

If an organization refuses to follow it's bylaws, sues its athlete board members when they attempt to get redress from the USOC, and attempts to ruin careers via malicious claims, it has reached a point where it is toxic to its purpose and it's members.

Last edited by jmdavis on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Link to documents about this issue.

http://www.vc4hss.com/__USAS_Sec10_Complaint/index.htm
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:42 am

As with most things, follow the money if you want to find the wrongdoing. Sounds like the hierarchy responded in the most dramatic way they could to try and back down the athletes and continue as before. Hopefully a good house cleaning and removal and replacement of all shooting sports officials will be the outcome. just my personal opinion.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 pm

I may be a lot in ignorance of what goes on at USAS even though I joined several years ago.  Bottom line.  Why do the athletes and others have a beef about the three of Lally, Mitchel, and Anderson.  Do they not want them on the board for some reason?

OK.  Went back and re-read and read the newer entries.  What a cluster the whole mess is.

Last edited by Jack H on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:25 pm

You need to read the Grievance for that information. There are specific issues that violate the bylaws of USAS. Check the link that I posted above which includes the Grievance and updates.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Looks like the athletes are up against "the good ole boy system". That system thrives in government and industry, as well as, clubs. It'll take some doing to chip away at it.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Blsi2600 Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Follow the MONEY.  Power is money.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:50 am

donate some $$

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 am

Just got my request to donate money to USA Shooting. It isn't likely to happen (for reasons expressed earlier) but if one does donate are you helping the athletes or funding the administration that appears to be fighting them?

Bruce

Last edited by Fire Escape on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:22 am

The gofundme link above as an update concerning the mediation that both parties submitted to. The case against the athletes has been dropped, a committee formed by athletes, USAShooting and the USOC, and good change seems to be on its way.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down