Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Recoil Springs

+2
james r chapman
Windlogik
6 posters

Go down

Help with Recoil Springs Empty Help with Recoil Springs

Post by Windlogik Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 pm

I have a Les Baer Hardball and a Series 70 (from the 70s) Gold Cup that I'd like to use for BE. I'd like to shoot 185 LSWCHP and 200 LSWC in both and also shoot Zero 185 JHP in the Baer. I'd like to replace the factory recoil spring in the Baer (likely too heavy, made for 230 ball). I'd also like to replace the factory recoil spring in the colt (it's 40 years old).

Can someone offer some guidance on spring weights? Neither will be using a dot sight, so irons for both. Most of the information that I have found on here has been specific to slide mounted dot sights. Any input appreciated. I'd like to avoid having to buy complete calibration packs to get this nailed down. I'm considering using Wolff variable power springs.

Windlogik

Back to top Go down

Help with Recoil Springs Empty Re: Help with Recoil Springs

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:05 pm

I believe if it ejects 4-6 feet it's good, but, the experts should be along anytime now.. Smile 

Jim
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Regular_Guy Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:58 pm

I have a 14lb spring in my iron sights Range Officer right now, shooting both the Magnus 185gn JHP and the 200gn LSWC. The stock one did not always lock back the slide with my loads. I also have a 12lb I was going to try, but the 14lb feels pretty good in the gun.

It will definitely depend on how you load the bullets up, ie how much and what powder.
Regular_Guy
Regular_Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:57 pm

I run 19 lb mainspring and 19 lb recoil spring. Iron sights only. 3.8 gr bullseye under 200gr LSWC
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 am

you will get answers all over the board cause different guns act different, iron sights, 13-16 but it could be higher as you didnt say what powder or charge you use
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:13 am

If you are going to fool around with 1911's for very long, it is going to pay you to get recoil springs in at least 12, 14, 16 lb tensions.  The intermediate springs in 11, 13, 15 lbs will be useful if you want to tune more precisely.  Bullseye 45 for most of us is a process of finding the most accurate load with the least recoil for the short line, and then tuning the gun to function reliably with that load.  Swapping springs around is a key element of that, and over time you will be glad you have the various springs on hand.  To a lesser degree the same comments can apply to the mainsprings.

Wolff are good springs and Brownells sells them.  Personally I see nothing useful in the variable power springs for bullseye.  The issue in functionality for bullseye is how much pressure is required to achieve full compression (end of slide travel).  A 12 lb spring takes 12 pounds to fully compress it, but a 12 lb variable still takes 12 pounds to fully compress yet exerts less force to hold the slide in battery and hence will unlock sooner.  That isn't particularly good for bullseye in my opinion.

Last edited by Dr.Don on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info.)
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down