Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I level my Progressive Reloader

+6
dronning
james r chapman
DavidR
expendable
weber1b
JayhawkNavy02
10 posters

Go down

Should I level my Progressive Reloader Empty Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Finally got my 650 installed and it is not perfectly level on my work bench.  Should I buy some washers and chin the 650 for 9mm or 5.56 or is this beyond OCD.  Just trying to make sure it's down right the first time.

Derek

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Should I level my Progressive Reloader Empty Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by weber1b Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:00 pm

I don't know that it would have a negative effect....but I would level it.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Should I level my Progressive Reloader Empty Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by expendable Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:40 pm

I don't know how out of level your press is, but I would think it would have to be awful bad to cause a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you need to tilt your head to the side to use it.

Kurt

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:31 am

only if it bugs you,
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:57 pm

if the primer doesn't fall out, the case slide out, or the powder miss the case, don't worry about it...

If you've got one of those old Knott's Berry Farm houses where water flows uphill, yeah, worry about it...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Nope, none of the above.  Sounds like I'm set.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:38 pm

What are we talking about here?

1/8" in 1 foot - no need to level
1/4" in 1 foot - maybe a couple of washers under the mounting plate
> 1/4" in a foot - you need a new bench or at least shim or cut the legs to level it.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:39 pm

About a 1/4" over the distance of the base
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't think I would worry about that, but you might want to secure your bench to the wall and/or floor. The 650 seems to like a rock solid bench.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Quarter inch?  I always thot Dillon was on the level Ha ha.  Is the base of the 650 not machined flat?  Would it not fit their Strong Mount square?

(I do recommend the Dillon mount.  Or better, this: http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/dillon/products/ultramount-press-riser-system-for-the-dillon-650

The Inline people live very near me.  Wonderful folks.  Great products.  (And the usual disclaimer: I have no skin in their game)
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:18 am

OCD is a terrible disease and should be treated.
Does the instruction manual emphasize the need to level the press?
I have certainly never seen or heard of a reason to do so.
The important thing is that there is little to no flex in the bench and the press is rigidly mounted.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:07 am

noylj wrote:OCD is a terrible disease and should be treated.
Does the instruction manual emphasize the need to level the press?
I have certainly never seen or heard of a reason to do so.
The important thing is that there is little to no flex in the bench and the press is rigidly mounted.

Nope, nothing in the manual, but I didn't think the manual was perfect either.  It was pretty terrific for setup, no doubt.

Jack H wrote:Quarter inch?  I always thot Dillon was on the level Ha ha.  Is the base of the 650 not machined flat?  Would it not fit their Strong Mount square?

(I do recommend the Dillon mount.  Or better, this: http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/dillon/products/ultramount-press-riser-system-for-the-dillon-650

The Inline people live very near me.  Wonderful folks.  Great products.  (And the usual disclaimer: I have no skin in their game)

Everything seems machined perfect, my workbench isn't.  I used the Dillon strong mount, I wish I had seen that mount, I would have bought it.  Looks like a great product.

BE Mike wrote:I don't think I would worry about that, but you might want to secure your bench to the wall and/or floor. The 650 seems to like a rock solid bench.

I've secured the bench to the wall, and I'm 100% onboard with a solid bench, after seeing how much movement there is.  I need to reinforce under the bench where the boards are flexing.  The biggest issue I have is the shell plate is indexing/kicking pretty hard and spilling powder.  From using google it looks like I might need to trim the detent ball spring, tighten the shell plate, adjust the index block or all three.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:55 am

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:  The biggest issue I have is the shell plate is indexing/kicking pretty hard and spilling powder.  From using google it looks like I might need to trim the detent ball spring, tighten the shell plate, adjust the index block or all three.

Check out the link over at Brian Enos forum.  I've installed the bearing fix on both my 550B and 1050 and it does make a big difference and instead of cutting the detent ball spring some have changed to a stainless 9mm ball bearing (.354) verses the .375 one that's in there.

Fix for the snapping shellplate on a 650 
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Do you have to tilt your bullets to make em straight if the table is not level? 

(Satire)
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down