Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning?

+17
Dipnet
davekp
Chris Miceli
rich.tullo
BE Mike
s1120
jglenn21
desben
Fire Escape
LenV
AllAces
bdas
dstates
Rob Kovach
james r chapman
SW-52
JoeW
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning? Empty .22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning?

Post by JoeW 3/10/2016, 1:56 pm

I've greatly appreciated all of the recommendations to date in this forum on .22 pistols along the lines of accuracy, price, ammo considerations, etc., but one aspect I haven't seen addressed as much is ease of disassembly/cleaning. I know that's a common complaint among BE newbies like myself for the Ruger MK II/III, and it's something I don't love about my Buckmark. It's a fantastic price point for it's accuracy--I went from Marksman to Expert scores two weeks ago after incorporating a red dot, and it's still shooting better than I can--but I'm not a fan of having to remove the rear sight/red dot every time I clean it (every 1,000 rounds or so). How do the other .22 pistols compare in this regard?

JoeW

Back to top Go down

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning? Empty Re: .22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning?

Post by SW-52 3/10/2016, 2:02 pm

JoeW wrote:I've greatly appreciated all of the recommendations to date in this forum on .22 pistols along the lines of accuracy, price, ammo considerations, etc., but one aspect I haven't seen addressed as much is ease of disassembly/cleaning. I know that's a common complaint among BE newbies like myself for the Ruger MK II/III, and it's something I don't love about my Buckmark. It's a fantastic price point for it's accuracy--I went from Marksman to Expert scores two weeks ago after incorporating a red dot, and it's still shooting better than I can--but I'm not a fan of having to remove the rear sight/red dot every time I clean it (every 1,000 rounds or so). How do the other .22 pistols compare in this regard?
 i hate rugers for this reason,i had one in the past. i prefer High Standard supermatics,victor,smith wesson 41.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning? Empty Re: .22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning?

Post by james r chapman 3/10/2016, 2:18 pm

Once you learn it, the Ruger isn't anymore difficult than any other.

james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/10/2016, 2:48 pm

Why are you cleaning your .22? I wait years between disassembly cleanings....

You can get most .22s clean enough by wiping a paper towel through the chamber and the top of the magwell.

High standards are super easy to break down for cleaning, if you are into that sort of thing.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates 3/10/2016, 3:36 pm

It is not necessary to remove your red dot or rear sight to clean a Ruger MK II/III.  Once you take it apart once or twice with the help of a video on youtube (there are many), it is pretty easy.  It was my first pistol and it really isn't bad.  If I'm remembering right, guntalk-online.com has some great Ruger assembly/disassembly instructions.

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 3/10/2016, 3:51 pm

JoeW wrote:... ease of disassembly/cleaning. ... it's something I don't love about my Buckmark. It's a fantastic price point for it's accuracy--I went from Marksman to Expert scores two weeks ago after incorporating a red dot, and it's still shooting better than I can--but I'm not a fan of having to remove the rear sight/red dot every time I clean it (every 1,000 rounds or so).

I'm not sure which Buckmark you have, but on mine (an old Target 5.5 with the full-length rail), I can remove the rearmost top screw (behind the rear sight), and the barrel screw (in front of the trigger guard), and the barrel + rail + red dot come off as a unit.  It might be worth checking to see if you can do that with yours, too.

I also bought Rusty22's "Buckmark Maintenance Tool" (http://www.rusty22.com/Projects-BMT.htm), so getting the recoil spring assembly out is painless, too. So, maybe I'm just lucky with the model I have, but taking my Buckmark apart to clean it every couple thousand rounds isn't a huge hassle for me.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 3/10/2016, 3:53 pm

Ruger MK II, once you've disassembled and reassembled it a couple hundred times. Even a complete strip of the frame is easy after a few hundred times.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/10/2016, 5:30 pm

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning? 120%20WEB

THE "SECRET"
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/10/2016, 8:57 pm

The "Secret" is to get a model 41.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=model+41+disassembly&qpvt=model+41+disassembly&view=detail&mid=08FF2E9CD7529903D32908FF2E9CD7529903D329&FORM=VRDGAR
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/10/2016, 9:39 pm

Got me!!  Rolling Eyes
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeW 3/11/2016, 6:19 am

OK, you got me. What's the secret behind the orange twist tie?

JoeW

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/11/2016, 7:16 am

Releasing the back strap on a Ruger..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 3/11/2016, 8:29 am

james r chapman wrote:Releasing the back strap on a Ruger..

While keeping your fingernails attached and without scarring the backstrap by using a prybar!

Of course there IS the Ruger Takedown Tool, got mine from Brownell's.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 3/11/2016, 9:02 am

I can take down and reassemble my Ruger without tools... Can't say the same about a Buckmark! Just sayin'
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 3/11/2016, 10:03 am

Easiest

Smith 41 and high standard
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 3/11/2016, 11:24 am

Hard to get much less effort then a old High Standard. Push a button, and the barrel comes of, then slide the slide off.. More to get to the trigger/hammers and stuff, but frankly you can go a lifetime without touching them on a HS.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 3/11/2016, 4:34 pm

desben wrote:I can take down and reassemble my Ruger without tools... Can't say the same about a Buckmark! Just sayin'

Me too, but only one of the two. The other requires a punch and hammer.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/12/2016, 10:01 am

No offense, but I've heard of match .22 pistols being considered for their cost, availability of gunsmithing/ aftermarket parts, durability, accuracy, reliability, quality of sights and quality of trigger pull, but I've never heard of someone comparing them for their ease of disassembly and cleaning.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeW 3/13/2016, 10:49 am

No offense taken, BE Mike. I've read all those though, and agree there's not much out there for newbies like me on ease of disassembly, hence my question. No argument here about accuracy and other considerations being of greater relative importance, but if those other aspect are close (e.g., pardini vs. hammerli vs. model 41--sure, there are still some differences there, but they are all top-shelf choices), I'm inclined to let ease of maintenance be the deciding factor.

JoeW

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 3/13/2016, 11:45 am

Shooting expert Scores with a Buck , that is Fantastic and its a god gun. I had one and I liked it. Suggestions: 

Get a .243 brush and bend into an L and clean the chamber. 

Don't use a lot of oil just a drop or two on each side of the slide that is all you need. 

If memory serves me correctly the trigger bar is under the grips so there is no reason to dissemble other than to clean the barrel. I would use a bore snake every 300 rounds give or take, clean the action and breach face with Qtip, and clean the chamber and you should be good to go. 

22LRs have very fins groves and cleaning the barrel in general is something to be avoided. Losing accuracy with wild shots or tumbling bullets are signs the barrel needs cleaning.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 3/13/2016, 1:09 pm

Pardini 22 is easy to takedown

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 3/14/2016, 8:34 am

I don't have the fetish to clean that many seem to have. I never clean a 22 barrel. A member of my club ruined a Pardini barrel by overcleaning. I'd never use a bent brush or bore snake, either.
Not necessary!
Occasional chamber cleaning only.
I don't have a fetish to sweep the range either, especially after having a bout with high lead levels.
Oh, and my 45 brass is clean, but not shiny bright. Also not necessary.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/14/2016, 9:28 am

JoeW wrote:No offense taken, BE Mike. I've read all those though, and agree there's not much out there for newbies like me on ease of disassembly, hence my question. No argument here about accuracy and other considerations being of greater relative importance, but if those other aspect are close (e.g., pardini vs. hammerli vs. model 41--sure, there are still some differences there, but they are all top-shelf choices), I'm inclined to let ease of maintenance be the deciding factor.
I started out with a Ruger Mark I. For the little one really needs to clean it, I didn't find the disassembly that difficult, after I had done it a few times. Most of the time, I'd just use a tooth brush and solvent on the face of the chamber and front of the slide, wipe down the mags, and mag well and I was ready to go. Until I got a Hammerli 208s, it was the most trouble free .22 I have ever owned. Now with all the accessories, including this: http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html To be fair, I've heard that the newer versions of the Ruger Mk aren't as good as the older MK I and MK II, but I have no first hand experience with them.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning? Empty Walther GSPs shun cleaning

Post by Dipnet 3/19/2016, 1:04 am

As I recall, the Walther GSP manual suggests regular cleaning is not necessary and actually, should be avoided. Hard to beat that. Dipnet
Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

.22 pistol recommendations based on disassembly/cleaning? Empty And the winner is . . .

Post by Mac2 3/20/2016, 5:43 pm

Starting with the conclusions that indeed one should clean a 22 Bullseye pistol, and that one is going to buy a newly manufactured pistol that can receive a red-dot sight without fuss with a cost under $1500: 
The candidates are:  (1) a better Buckmark   (2) S&W 41 from custom shop  (3) S&W SW22  (4) a better Rugger  (5) "Marvel" type conversion from AA (or other) on a 1911 frame  (6) Beretta 87 (Target)  (7) better Beretta NEOS (Cool High Standard if it is still being made  
Low cost, high value, and easy to clean is the SW22 and NEOS.  So: what is missing from list?  What are your rankings based on whatever?

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next