Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sun Shade Removal

3 posters

Go down

Sun Shade Removal Empty Sun Shade Removal

Post by messenger Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:51 pm

What is the best and mainly safest way to remove the sun shades from an Aimpoint Micro? I had one fall off during shooting but the others seem to be pretty tight. Would it be safe to give them a little heat from a small torch? The one that fell off didn't appear to have any adhesive residue. I think they were pressed on.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Sun Shade Removal Empty Re: Sun Shade Removal

Post by Jerry Keefer Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:08 pm

I don't use adhesive on mine.. It takes .005 press to secure the adapter..even at less press, which some makers use, the adhesive is squeezed out and basically non effective.   If I need to remove it, I machine it off.. I'd rather make a new adapter than risk damage to the Micro unit.  The adapters should be short and internally threaded, then the press  can be tight. The extension shades can then be screwed in..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:20 pm

I tried to unscrew one and I unscrewed the lens. I do not have the equipment or expertise to machine it off.
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:45 pm

messenger wrote:I tried to unscrew one and I unscrewed the lens. I do not have the equipment or expertise to machine it off.
If you are very careful you can split the ring with a dremel tool. As the cutting tool nears the final inside dimension of the ring, it will split under the press on pressure .
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:21 am

Probably bad for many reasons but a Rubber hammer a wooden dowel applied at 3 oclock and then 6 oclock and a gentle tap or two and It may pop right off. 

Worked for me twice already.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:40 pm

I went ahead and used the dremel. It sure tightened a certain body part. Got it off though. Thanks for the advice.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:27 pm

messenger wrote:I went ahead and used the dremel. It sure tightened a certain body part. Got it off though. Thanks for the advice.

Bill
Better safe than sorry... glad it was trouble free..
There was a definite learning curve to this process.. The first few were problematic.. and would vibrate off/loose.  The epoxy thing doesn't work..The press has got to be tight.. To do that the wall  thickness of the adapter was increased.. Then a very small taper is machined to facilitate and assist the initial alignment between the scope ring and the adapter as the press is performed..A gauge was made to machine the proper ID of the adapter.  Internal threading, 0.6 metric is the final step. That is the same thread as the Ultra Dot, and enables interchangeability of extensions and filters..  The ring should not be held in a chuck.. Even a six jaw exerts to much pressure.  Collets work best.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down