Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max 9mm Load Question

+3
Wobbley
LenV
Bigtrout
7 posters

Go down

Max 9mm Load Question Empty Max 9mm Load Question

Post by Bigtrout Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:40 pm

I've seen Hogdon's published max load data that describes 115 JHP Titegroup as 4.8 grains, 4" bbl.   My Speer manual has its max at 4.5 grains, same bullet, COL and bbl. length.  I know I must err on the side of caution, but is there a reason for such a large discrepancy?   My 986 likes the hotter loads but I hesitate to exceed 4.5.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Max 9mm Load Question Empty Re: Max 9mm Load Question

Post by LenV Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Bigtrout wrote:I've seen Hogdon's published max load data that describes 115 JHP Titegroup as 4.8 grains, 4" bbl.   My Speer manual has its max at 4.5 grains, same bullet, COL and bbl. length.  I know I must err on the side of caution, but is there a reason for such a large discrepancy?   My 986 likes the hotter loads but I hesitate to exceed 4.5.

Lawyers: Grab an older re-loading manual and all of the "safe" loads will be higher. They really are safe loads but lawyers started getting involved and the new SAMMI/CYA loads are all that they will publish.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Not just the lawyers.  Some of those old loads were stout.  When they finally tested them they were found to be just way too hot.  Also powders have changed through the years.  The Unique we get today isn't quite the same.  It isn't even made in the same plant anymore.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Elmer Keith just rolled over....

sheesh...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Lawyers yes but todays pressure reading equipment is sooo much better than the old pressure cup method...

Ken Waters is also rolling his eyes.

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Not lawyers. Old data was done with a copper plug and the amount the plug was crushed determined the pressure. Not that accurate, but it was all they had.
Now, the labs get a real-time pressure trace showing every spike and anomaly. SAAMI has now defined at least three different statistical pressure measurements loads have to meet.
Using current test procedures, it was found that many of the old "pet loads" were 10-25ksi over pressure limits. 
Next, unless you have the same gun, the same lot of powder, the exact same bullets (manufacture and, often, the same lot number off the same swaging die) at the exact same COL, using the same cases and primers, how can you expect to get the same performance?
It's in the details, and the details aren't the same.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:36 pm

You might be able to get more velocity with Alliant Power Pistol, if you can find some. You can get over 1,200 fps with some loads in 9mm. My 9mm pistols like a velocity of about 1,140 fps.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:31 pm

BE Mike wrote:You might be able to get more velocity with Alliant Power Pistol, if you can find some. You can get over 1,200 fps with some loads in 9mm. My 9mm pistols like a velocity of about 1,140 fps.

My velocity increase is obtained with BE-86 giving 1200+ fps slightly above mid-range.  I believe the max published by Alliant is 6.3 for 115 GD JHP yielding 1238 fps.  The max TG load I have used in my 986 is 4.6 resulting in 8 of 10 rounds grouping 3/4" c to c at 25 yds. (manual rest, no chrono), and never hotter than 4.4 in my RO9, which prefers TG's lower velocity.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down