Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Competitor Numbers

+19
rvlvrlvr
Outthere
s1120
sixftunda
weber1b
KenO
Rob Kovach
AllAces
carykiteboarder
dronning
CR10X
LenV
Wobbley
dstates
john bickar
Blsi2600
DavidR
Chris Miceli
DirComp
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Competitor Numbers - Page 2 Empty Competitor Numbers

Post by DirComp Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

I had these numbers run this afternoon.  FYI, these are the number of classified competitors in our files.  Any other numbers that you care to see?

Indoor Pistol  8297
Indoor 22 Only  851
Indoor Metallic  20
Indoor Production  0

Outdoor Pistol  7696
Outdoor 22 Only  331
Outdoor Metallic  117
Outdoor Production  3

Denny

Last edited by DirComp on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error)

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Competitor Numbers - Page 2 Empty Re: Competitor Numbers

Post by KenO Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:27 pm

DirComp wrote:

I had these numbers run this afternoon.  FYI, these are the number of classified competitors in our files.  Any other numbers that you care to see?

Indoor Pistol  8297
Indoor 22 Only  851
Indoor Metallic  20
Indoor Production  0

Outdoor Pistol  7696
Outdoor 22 Only  331
Outdoor Metallic  117
Outdoor Production  3

Denny

How does outdoor break down for classification (MK, SS, Expt, M, HM) ?

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:41 pm

DirComp wrote:I'm not sure how many clubs host 2700 matches but can probably find out when I return to work on Monday.

Field Reps did work with the clubs and did a lot of good.  Even some members of the Board of Directors lament that they now are focused on Friends of the NRA stuff.  That has been discussed but I don't know where it's headed.  Above my pay grade.  

The length of the matches might be an issue.  My son grew up with 2700 matches, accompanying me to matches since he was about 8-9 years old.  He later became a Master Class, Distinguished shooter in his own right.  He stopped shooting to raise a family and about 4 months ago I asked him if he was going to return to competition.  He said that he would not.  When I asked why, he said that it took too long.  He has sold his reloader and I think is about ready to sell his guns, equipment, and left over ammo/bullets.  It's a shame to lose him but I understand.  His kids are only 8 and 4 and he wants time with them.

I have heard it said that young folks start in the sport, get out due to family and come back later when the family is grown and gone. We have someone in our club going through that right now. Hopefully they will come back someday and perhaps keep the sport going with their family.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:02 am

Dennis,

I would like to see how many shooters are currently in each Class (MK, SS, EX, MA, HM)

Thank you,
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:11 am

weber1b wrote:
DirComp wrote:I'm not sure how many clubs host 2700 matches but can probably find out when I return to work on Monday.

Field Reps did work with the clubs and did a lot of good.  Even some members of the Board of Directors lament that they now are focused on Friends of the NRA stuff.  That has been discussed but I don't know where it's headed.  Above my pay grade.  

The length of the matches might be an issue.  My son grew up with 2700 matches, accompanying me to matches since he was about 8-9 years old.  He later became a Master Class, Distinguished shooter in his own right.  He stopped shooting to raise a family and about 4 months ago I asked him if he was going to return to competition.  He said that he would not.  When I asked why, he said that it took too long.  He has sold his reloader and I think is about ready to sell his guns, equipment, and left over ammo/bullets.  It's a shame to lose him but I understand.  His kids are only 8 and 4 and he wants time with them.

I have heard it said that young folks start in the sport, get out due to family and come back later when the family is grown and gone. We have someone in our club going through that right now. Hopefully they will come back someday and perhaps keep the sport going with their family.

Im kinda in that boat now. I didn't shoot when younger though, but was around it because my Dad did. Well building a life, then a family kinda takes control and here we are...  As the kids get older, a little more free time comes, and also as most parents know... when the kids get more independent a little "Me" time is nice. Smile   As for at the matches...  for me anyways its not so much how long they are...  its having the the day they are held free at all. 2 hour, or 8 hour is doesn't matter..  That's been a bummer for me, and the reason I only got one match in so far...  Im still hoping to get out of the "unclassified" ranking this year.....

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:00 am

I can give to numbers in each classification tomorrow.  It's sitting on my desk.

Denny

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 am

DirComp wrote:The numbers that I posted at the beginning of this thread were for information only.  I thought you might like to know how many people are involved in our sport.  It was not intended as a comment on anything nor was it intended to generate any follow up conversation.

Yeah, right, like that's ever stopped us Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 am

It's going to be the end of the week now before I can give you the number of competitors by class.  I went to the range yesterday to do some shooting with my .330WinMag and could hardly walk when I got home.  My knees hurt something fierce.  I took a sick day and resting them.  Tomorrow I have to travel to Ca,p Perry for a meeting on Wednesday, return home Thursday.  Should have the numbers for you on Friday.

Denny

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:21 pm

No rush.

Thanks for your hard work and taking the time to answer all the questions that we have.

.330 WinMag. You're tougher than I am.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:53 pm

That was supposed to say, .300 Win Mag.  I shot about 60 rounds preparing for a trip to Africa.  If the weather holds, I'll be back out next weekend.  The brass is tumbling now for reloading this week.

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:33 pm

You can borrow my 338/378 and shoot it for 60 rds. Then your shoulder would feel like your knees and you would be all balanced out.

lol!
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:00 pm

INDOOR
HM 95
MA 716
EX 1050
SS 964
MK 1899
UNC 3573

.22 ONLY
HM 4
MA 8
EX 48
SS 58
MK 144
UNC 589

OUTDOOR
HM 114
MA 1052
EX 943
SS 786
MK 1443
UNC 3358

.22 ONLY
HM 0
MA 3
EX 28
SS 33
MK 97
UNC 170

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:33 pm

How many Lifetime Masters left alive? And thanks for the other numbers.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Len,

I don't have a clue.

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:01 pm

OldMaster66 wrote:How many Lifetime Masters left alive? And thanks for the other numbers.

Len
i know of one ^

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:55 pm

DirComp wrote:INDOOR

I feel so distinguished to be one of four indoor .22-only HMs and one of ninety five indoor HMs. I also feel that might be somewhat under-represented, but then again I might be the only indoor/indoor .22-only HM I know of 'round here...hmm. I oughtta shoot all the local outdoor matches as .22-only and in the other divisions (metallic and production) until I get classifications for all of them, and inflate the numbers all by myself! Or hey, can there be a .22-only-production and .22-only-metallic classification?
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:56 pm

rvlvrlvr wrote:
I feel so distinguished to be one of four indoor .22-only HMs

I wonder who the other two are. I have no idea how I got that classification.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:14 pm

We all know, however, that there are people in leagues around the country that are not included in these numbers because they only shoot local, non-NRA sanctioned matches. At one of the indoor leagues I shoot, at least 50% of the (55) shooters have never shot a sanctioned match. At another with an average participation of 7, I am the only classified (or even unclassified) shooter. At one Registered Indoor NRA match a year (Sectionals), it will be a while before I have an actual indoor classification. 

Previously I used my outdoor classification, does anyone know if I can still do that now that I am listed as Indoor unclassified?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:43 pm

DirComp wrote:That was supposed to say, .300 Win Mag.  I shot about 60 rounds preparing for a trip to Africa.  If the weather holds, I'll be back out next weekend.  The brass is tumbling now for reloading this week.

I Sympathize w/you Denny. More yrs ago than I care to remember I took 2 rifles to the range to check the reloads inteneded for our upcoming antelope hunt. Thh last few shots took some concentration to avoid flinching. I counted the empties to be 67 and I was becoming black 'n blue from the shoulder to just above the elbow. I was only shootin' '06 also.

Thanks a lot for becoming visible on our forum and the explanations and info you provide are much appreciated!

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by DirComp Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:50 am

Ron,

I very much dislike the '06.  It probably stems from my days as a sniper for the Michigan State Police, very early in my career.  We used to have to practice a lot and after about 40 rounds without recoil mitigation I came to hate that rifle.  Everyone that ever came my way since, I sold.

Now, the PAST Recoil Shield helps a lot.  Yesterday I shot over 100 rounds of .300 Win Mag without a problem.  I wish I could have had that back in the 70s.

Now I regret selling that Mannlicher stocked Sako in '06.  It was a beautiful rifle.

Denny

DirComp

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:08 pm

john bickar wrote:
rvlvrlvr wrote:
I feel so distinguished to be one of four indoor .22-only HMs

I wonder who the other two are. I have no idea how I got that classification.
I'll claim #3!  We shoot a 24 week, indoor, 22 only, 60 shot sanctioned league.  Two of the guys on my team have been riding together shooting this league for 50 YEARS!

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 am

With the number of competitive bullseye shooters being so low and the general membership being over 5 million, it is a wonder that the NRA does as much as it does for us.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:20 am

I've brought it up before but I have a copy of the October 1990 American Rifleman. It has over 10 pages of coverage of the nationals with dedicated 2 page spreads with continuations for Smallbore, Pistol and Rifle. Heck there is a 1/4 page devoted to an explanation of why they needed to cancel one of the pistol matches due to water damaging the circuits of the turning targets. 

I didn't know anyone who participated in any competitive shooting sport until I was in my 40's. Even with articles like those mentioned above, I thought that competitive shooting was for wealthy people who had loads of time on their hands. It was meeting some people who did and had done it that convinced me it was possible (even at the age of 47). 

If we want to get more shooters, we need to get more people informed. That is one of the great things that the NRA can and should do. They have a Bully-Pulpit and we all see the emails on an almost daily basis. Why not make some of those emails about competitive shooting. 

Does anyone know what happened when the Army moved from Bullseye matches to combat matches in an effort to make things more egalitarian and practical? Any guesses. The answer is that the same people kept winning until the new shooters learned the value of precision. Now we can make sports that minimize the precision aspect, but isn't accuracy the goal that we have in every shooting sport?

By the way, if we compare the Precision Pistol Nationals to the Bianchi Cup, which has more competitors?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:14 pm

By the way, if we compare the Precision Pistol Nationals to the Bianchi Cup, which has more competitors?

We still have more by a wide margin...Bianchi only had 268 entrants in 2015.

If we want to get more shooters, we need to get more people informed. That is one of the great things that the NRA can and should do. They have a Bully-Pulpit and we all see the emails on an almost daily basis. Why not make some of those emails about competitive shooting.

Shooting Sports USA is sending me emails and facebook articles regularly.

EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM SHOULD SIGN UP!
http://www.ssusa.org/sign-up-for-updates
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:40 pm

One thing the Bianchi cup has is positive revenue.  Unfortunately, today,  that can't be said about bullseye.

- Dave

As Rob said sign up for the SSUSA updates.  The 2015 State Champions list for ALL events used a pic of a bullseye event as it's cover photo, along with several others.  Unfortunately many States did not submit their results. 

Their eMagazine
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201604/#/36
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Does it have positive revenue because it has tons more publicity?

I am subscribed to SSUSA and it is great. But how many NRA emails and NRA affiliate emails do we all get each day? How about some of those being a link to SSUSA or to the NRA match search function, or to an article about a competitor who shoots bullseye or high-power. Or how about an article about the equipment needed to shoot a winter league or coverage of a winter league?

Why are there more prizes at the Creedmoor Cup Regional than at the Nationals? Or at least that is how it seems to me on the outside. Hopefully I won't get in trouble with the allusion to High Power.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next