Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sightron red dots

+25
Jerry Keefer
Mac2
SNaymola
Axehandle
weber1b
STEVE SAMELAK
sixftunda
SMBeyer
Bubba Blaster
10sandxs
walt k
woody
left7hand
Al
Froneck
Dr.Don
desben
Jack H
Jon Eulette
LenV
Caster3845
Bullshooter
Bullseye58
bdas
paul noles
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Sightron red dots Empty Sightron red dots

Post by paul noles Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm fed up with the ultradot Has anyone tried the sightron red dots

Paul

paul noles

Back to top Go down

Sightron red dots Empty Re: Sightron red dots

Post by bdas Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:49 am

paul noles wrote:I'm fed up with the ultradot Has anyone tried the sightron red dots

Paul
As someone who is planning to buy an UltraDot MatchDot II in the next couple months, I'm curious as to what you don't like about UltraDots.  I DO NOT want to make this a complain-about-every-bad-thing-anyone-has-ever-heard-about-UltraDot thread, as I'm curious to hear what others have to say about Sightron red dots.  But I'm curious what Paul's issue with UltraDot is.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye58 Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:41 pm

I have a Sightron Red dot on my Marvel Conversion. Crystal clear red dot and always holds zero. I have owned the Sightron for several years and I have never had any issues with it. Exceptional red dot IMO.

Last edited by Bullseye58 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Bullseye58
Bullseye58

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:19 pm

I've used and sold several of the Sightron 30mm S30-5 sights and have had no issues or complaints. They will stand up to the recoil of a .45, are made in Japan, not China, have a crisp and round dot, and most importantly for me, they don't have the extremely annoying negative magnification present in the UltraDots.

Walt Jackson
Bull Shooters
Janesville, Wisconsin

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by paul noles Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi all
I've been shooting with ultra dot since the 1990s right now I have 6 of them that work good of those 6 3 ovet the last couple years I've bough additional Ultra dots. The wins has terrible fish eye effect and all of the new ones have the image reduction all this is not only me I hang out with a bunch of very good top-shelf shooters who are all experiencing the same problems it's nice to see that a few that replied to my post are having good luck with the sightron I just ordered one

Thanks

Paul

paul noles

Back to top Go down

Post by Caster3845 Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Come on Noles, Man up and part with some of your money. Get an Aim Point. I only use the UDs as a back-up now. I got a 9000sc last summer after Perry and have never looked back. They are great. 
Your buddy from Iowa-----Paul
Caster3845
Caster3845

Back to top Go down

Post by paul noles Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Let me clear up that poorly typed mess ... I have 6 Ultra dots... of the six three work well... I have bought a couple new ones in the last few years and they have horrible fisheye effect and horrible image reduction

paul noles

Back to top Go down

Post by paul noles Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 pm

To caster3845 aka p.p in Iowa.. if this sightron gived me as much trouble as the ultradots did..i will send it back and bite the bullet.. The funds are very tight since living by myself the last several years... still want to try to make it to one of your matches at the wildlife area

paul noles

Back to top Go down

Post by Caster3845 Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:09 pm

You will be more than welcome, sir.
Caster3845
Caster3845

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:29 pm

I am kind of wondering what the rings look like. They come with rings (33mm) but they don't show a picture of the rings. I would not want to buy the scope and find out they come with vertical split rings and then find out that there is no source for horizontal rings. 33mm is a strange tube size. I like to take a scope off sometimes and put it back on with something resembling a zero.

Len
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightron-Red-Dot-Sight-33mm-Tube-1x-4-Pattern-Reticle-Matte-40008-/201517716440?hash=item2eeb6453d8:g:O3wAAOSwKtlWs8Dm
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:45 pm

OldMaster66 wrote:I am kind of wondering what the rings look like. They come with rings (33mm) but they don't show a picture of the rings. I would not want to buy the scope and find out they come with vertical split rings and then find out that there is no source for horizontal rings. 33mm is a strange tube size. I like to take a scope off sometimes and put it back on with something resembling a zero.

Len
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightron-Red-Dot-Sight-33mm-Tube-1x-4-Pattern-Reticle-Matte-40008-/201517716440?hash=item2eeb6453d8:g:O3wAAOSwKtlWs8Dm
+1
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 am

There's a ring pictured here

http://info.sightron.com/Electronic-Devices/S33-4R/
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:16 am

The only Sightron I am familiar with, and the one I was referring to in my earlier post, is the S30-5. It has a single 5 minute dot, and is a standard 30mm tube with rings very similar to Tasco.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:21 am

Made in Japan, like ultradot... I'm willing to bet the come off the same assembly line.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:34 am

desben wrote:Made in Japan, like ultradot... I'm willing to bet the come off the same assembly line.
Could be, there are similarities in components, but as I pointed out, there is no negative magnification in the Sightron lenses.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 am

Interesting thread.  I own 4 Ultradots of varying models, one dating back to the mid-80's.  The old one has noticeable negative magnification and the dot brightness falls off toward the edge of the field of view.  But the others have no odd effects that I have noticed, and the "fisheye" effect described I can't even imagine.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:06 am

I'm interested in the Sightron. Long time user of Ultradot but the negative mag. I don't like! Have an earlier multi reticle version on my home made .22 but it too has a little neg. mag.  Friends at the club have them, both bought the latest Ultradots at the same time, one had neg.mag other didn't. Another was sent back for repair the day he got it! I also checked one that I borrowed but see it has Parallax too. I'm not impressed with the Ultradot Micro either!  I did get a Micro from Joe Chambers seems OK but I don't like the electronic brightness control. I much rather turn the knob to lets say a 5, if not bright enough then boost it to 6 or more, too bright drop it down a number or two! Found the same make (Primary Arms) with the knob adjustment but found that the lens is smaller and it seems to have a little neg. mag. I do have an Aimpoint 9000SC I intend to put on my Morini but haven't got there yet. However it's a bit heavy, OK on the light Morini but not sure on my 1911. However it is a great red dot scope. I do have an Insight Reflex, great sight thought it's over $400 but again electronic adjustment with limited settings. I removed it from my AW concerned about Rain at Perry and put on the Primary Arms that failed in the Rain at Perry, I couldn't see a thing!
 I have no use for the multiple reticle type, round dot is all I want. Does Sightron make a fix dot reticle version? If the dot is round not a star burst and no neg. mag. I would like to try one.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:16 am

Froneck wrote:I'm interested in the Sightron. Long time user of Ultradot but the negative mag. I don't like! Have an earlier multi reticle version on my home made .22 but it too has a little neg. mag.  Friends at the club have them, both bought the latest Ultradots at the same time, one had neg.mag other didn't. Another was sent back for repair the day he got it! I also checked one that I borrowed but see it has Parallax too. I'm not impressed with the Ultradot Micro either!  I did get a Micro from Joe Chambers seems OK but I don't like the electronic brightness control. I much rather turn the knob to lets say a 5, if not bright enough then boost it to 6 or more, too bright drop it down a number or two! Found the same make (Primary Arms) with the knob adjustment but found that the lens is smaller and it seems to have a little neg. mag. I do have an Aimpoint 9000SC I intend to put on my Morini but haven't got there yet. However it's a bit heavy, OK on the light Morini but not sure on my 1911. However it is a great red dot scope. I do have an Insight Reflex, great sight thought it's over $400 but again electronic adjustment with limited settings. I removed it from my AW concerned about Rain at Perry and put on the Primary Arms that failed in the Rain at Perry, I couldn't see a thing!
 I have no use for the multiple reticle type, round dot is all I want. Does Sightron make a fix dot reticle version? If the dot is round not a star burst and no neg. mag. I would like to try one.

Yes, check out the Sightron S30-5. The 5 minute dot is the only reticle, and a 30mm tube. They call the dot a 5 minute, but it looks more like a 4 to me.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am

OK! Checked Optics Planet, They have one on Sale for $150 (149.99) one is on the way! I will give it a test, If I don't shoot a 895 with it I'll blame you Walt Smile

Frank

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:09 am

That's not a bad price, I think you'll like them.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm

I have never noticed any UD image reduction.  And I have about 10-12 UDs
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:04 pm

It's definitely an issue.  My older ones are very good.  The new ones are a crap shoot, I won't order them anymore.  I inspect them at Perry or in a store and don't buy them unless they pass muster.

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Sightron red dots Empty Red Dot

Post by left7hand Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks Froneck.  I just ordered one from Opticplanet too.  $149 plus free shipping.
Tom

left7hand

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:20 am

I got an email from Optics Planet this morning that all red dots are 12% off with code "REDDOT12", so I ordered more of the Sightron S30-5 models. At $132, this is the same price as my distributor with free shipping.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by woody Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks For the code Bullshooter, I just ordered one.
Miland

woody

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next