Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor?

+18
Colt711
John Dervis
Chris Miceli
mparker
rich.tullo
Jack H
weber1b
BE Mike
jmdavis
Jon Eulette
bdas
1joel1
Tim:H11
LenV
Froneck
jglenn21
Wobbley
dsandula
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor? - Page 2 Empty S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor?

Post by dsandula 5/12/2016, 5:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is probably how bar fights get started . . .

I've shot a S&W Model 41 with Ultradot for a number of years and shoot consistently in the mid 270's.  The only modification is the addition of Herter Flat Trainer grips to mimic the feel of a 1911.

I've acquired a like new and seemingly very solid Hartford made High Standard Victor.  It feels way better in the hand (at least to me) than the 41, has a better trigger and handles CCI Standard Velocity just fine.  I have one original and one newer, I believe, Mitchell made magazine.

I believe the High Standard is a better quality gun (kind of like a BMW motorcycle compared to a Japanese make.)  The 41 almost seems little a lose, rattling bunch of parts after trying the High Standard.

Is it better to continue working to improve with the 41 or get a red dot mount and extra magazines for the Victor?  Is the complication of moving to another 22 going to distract and greatly slow improvement or is the High Standard so much better I should make the move?

dsandula

Back to top Go down

S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor? - Page 2 Empty Re: S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor?

Post by killswitch 6/29/2016, 10:28 am

Either the HS or the 41 will produce great scores, but the perceived competence should determine which to use. If you can shoot the 41 better than the HS then the 41 is a better choice for you. If you ransom rest either they would score a 900 with the right ammo. Frank Higginson shot a record 898 with a 41 open sights factory out of the box. No trigger work no nothing. That was in 1968 and a Hamerlli or Pardini in anyone's hand has yet to beat that.
killswitch
killswitch

Back to top Go down

S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor? - Page 2 Empty Re: S & W Model 41 or High Standard Victor?

Post by 243winxb 6/30/2016, 7:27 am

Vintage High Standard Victor. Came in 2 barrel lengths. Go long for the sight  radius .
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2