Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets

5 posters

Go down

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets Empty K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets

Post by lanjo Wed Jun 08 2016, 23:02

Hi All,

I have a stock K38 (1970's) 38 special which I would like to dedicate to shoot lead WC bullets fro bullseye. I put 150 rounds of Zero 148 G lead WC ammo through it and it was leaded pretty badly. There was lead on the top strap and all around the forcing cone. The question is this...

If I were to get it worked on what modifications would make it shoot lead WC bullets the best (with no leading). What kind of forcing cone should I get? Any special modifications to the chambers? What about the gap? Anything that would help the gun to shoot lead WC bullets I am interested in hearing.

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets Empty Re: K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets

Post by dronning Wed Jun 08 2016, 23:13

No reason to send it off yet the leading you experience with the SWC may have been because of the load and nothing to do with the gun. If set up properly it should shoot WC without leading.

Few questions about the load that was causing leading:
What size SWC (.356, .357, .358)?, swagged or cast?  Bullet hardness, lube?  Case crimp?

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets Empty Re: K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets

Post by lanjo Wed Jun 08 2016, 23:59

Hi Dave,

I am shooting the Roze distribution loads. They are a 148 grain lead WCHB bullet at 0.357 diameter. That's all I know.  Someone at the range told me to try the Remington Target Match lead WC loads.  Their bullets are 0.360 diameter. They said that older Smith revolvers have a wider chamber opening which can cause leading with 0.357 diameter bullets.  Do you think this is worth a try?  I would like the use the Roze distribution loads however because they are reasonably priced (far cheaper than the Remington WC ammo) if you are part of their exchange program. Reloading is not an option for me because we live in a condo. The Mrs would object if I set-up a reloading station on the dining room table.

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets Empty K38

Post by Richard Ashmore Thu Jun 09 2016, 07:25

lanjo wrote:Hi All,

I have a stock K38 (1970's) 38 special which I would like to dedicate to shoot lead WC bullets fro bullseye. I put 150 rounds of Zero 148 G lead WC ammo through it and it was leaded pretty badly. There was lead on the top strap and all around the forcing cone. The question is this...

If I were to get it worked on what modifications would make it shoot lead WC bullets the best (with no leading). What kind of forcing cone should I get? Any special modifications to the chambers? What about the gap? Anything that would help the gun to shoot lead WC bullets I am interested in hearing.

Best,

Joe

A good revolver smith should check it for yoke to frame fit, endshake/endplay, cylinder alignment, cylinder to barrel gap, and probably Taylor Throat the barrel.  It's not so much modification as blueprinting the revolver and getting the components properly lined up and clearances in tolerance.

I use Hornady bullets, and the ones I checked are 0.358 inches.

Last edited by Richard Ashmore on Thu Jun 09 2016, 08:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets Empty K38 leading

Post by czman Thu Jun 09 2016, 07:28

I shot with a K-38 and it shot fantastic. Use a .358 bullet, .357 is too small and will lead.

czman

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Thu Jun 09 2016, 08:43

lanjo wrote:Reloading is not an option for me because we live in a condo. The Mrs would object if I set-up a reloading station on the dining room table.

I too live in a condo. With 2 young kids. I used to think reloading was not possible... Until I decided that it was. I mounted my press to a piece of 2x8, which I C-clamp to a portable workstation (Black n Decker Workmate). When I'm done, the press goes into a small box and the Workmate folds down flat and goes in the closet/under a bed. Setting up or tearing down only takes 10 minutes. No big deal. If you really want to reload, you can.

K38 Modifications to Shoot Lead WC Bullets 20274982562_9e3ae5f30c
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down