Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder Residue: 1911 vs Revolver

2 posters

Go down

Powder Residue: 1911 vs Revolver Empty Powder Residue: 1911 vs Revolver

Post by Bigtrout Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:01 pm

I've noticed heavier loose powder-ash residue in spent cases from my 9mm revolver than the RO9.   The particles are ash-like and I'm guessing an incomplete burn caused by less blast restriction in the cylinder gap and the forcing cone.  At first I thought the ejection and subsequent impact of the RO's spent cases emptied them of the loose residue.   I could not find any by laying a white cloth in my brass catcher.   This happens with both Titegroup and BE-86 along with light and near-max loads in the revolver only.   The residue is visible in the cylinder throat and falls out of the spent cases when tapped on the head, mouth down.   Does anyone have insight into this phenomenon?
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Powder Residue: 1911 vs Revolver Empty Re: Powder Residue: 1911 vs Revolver

Post by HenryA Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:07 am

I have noticed this as well. I suppose that its about the initial resistance experienced by the bullet. In the revolver, the bullet has about an inch of no or little resistance before the bullet contacts the rifling. The pistol has much, much less distance before bullet contacts rifling. The pistol may get a better "burn" because of this.

I would only consider this a problem if its causing function problems when the residue gets under the ejector star. If your desired accuracy is there, don't worry about it.

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 am

So I'll guess that my supposition of less restricted gas expansion is the cause of "revolver (r)ash" in the cylinder throat and spent cases.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down