Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to reloading

+3
br549
Steve B
Tristar
7 posters

Go down

New to reloading Empty New to reloading

Post by Tristar 1/24/2012, 8:31 am

I have had most of my questions answered from some other BE shooters. I have two more that I am curious about.

1. If I am just going to reload 45 acp do I need a case trimmer for the used brass?
2. Will an ultra sonic cleaner work for brass or does everyone use the vibration tub?

Thanks in advance for helping a brand new reloader.

Come see us in the woods.
Tristar
Tristar

Back to top Go down

New to reloading Empty Re: New to reloading

Post by Steve B 1/24/2012, 8:41 am

Don't waste your time trimming brass.
I only use a vibratory tumbler for cleaning. Cases that are new or perfectly clean tend to stick in the case mouth expander. I like to shine the outside of the brass to please myself, the gun couldn't care less.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by br549 1/24/2012, 8:57 am

Same here on trimming. I have yet to find 45ACP that needs to be trimmed.
I clean in a vibratory tumbler, size and then sort by length and load. The sorting by length is and attempt to get a consistent taper crimp without having to adjust the crimp die when loading on a progressive press.

br549

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/24/2012, 9:40 am

No need to trim straight-walled pistol cases. I use the same brand of brass and keep it separated as to times fired. I'm from the old school and use a rotary tumbler. It is a Lortone QT-12 lapidary tumbler. It holds 12 lbs. and has served me well for over 30 years. If you shop around, you should be able to buy one for $180.00. You can see them here: http://www.lortone.com/midsize_tumblers.html
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 1/24/2012, 12:09 pm

I tumble mine useing crushed walnut shell from the pet store ...I dilute brasso with alcohol about 50/50.....the alcohol evaporates leaveing the polish behind ......works great ....tryed the polish without diluteing it and it just clumped up and made a mess......the best polish Ive found is mothers purple polish dilute 50/50 and pour in while the tumbler is running .it'll have some small clumps for a few minutes but evens out quickly ..brass come out clean and the smaller walnut from the pet store does a good job of cleaning out the inside of the case as well...run time 1-2 hrs once fired brass....this is nothing new but Ive never heard of anyone diluteing the polish before......but it does work well...

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/24/2012, 1:14 pm

I also like crush walnut hulls in my Lortone tumbler. I use liquid Flitz and have also used Dillon Brass Polish with good results. A little goes a long way. I was scared away from using Brasso many years ago with talk that the ammonia in it would weaken the brass over time. When I think of it, I put in cut up strips of used clothes dryer sheets. It seems to keep the media (crushed walnut) a little cleaner over time.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 1/24/2012, 4:35 pm

Ive only used the brasso once....This purple polish stuff that I get is awesome ....the only reason I dilute is its thick ...I'll have to look at the liquid flitz.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/24/2012, 11:18 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Cheap tumbler from Harbor Freight tools
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristar 1/25/2012, 6:33 am

I appreciate all the replies. Thank you. I had a feeling that a case trimmer was overload.

Come see us in the woods.
Tristar
Tristar

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 1/26/2012, 7:32 am

Rob Kovach wrote:http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Cheap tumbler from Harbor Freight tools

I had one of these. Shook itself apart twice. First time it took about 2 hours to fix. Second time it took a walk to the trash. Buy one from the big name reloading equipment manufacturers. I got a Hornady on sale for about 60 bucks. Way better construction.

Dave

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down