Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grip Safety affecting trigger pull?

+2
Jerry Keefer
Tim:H11
6 posters

Go down

Grip Safety affecting trigger pull? Empty Grip Safety affecting trigger pull?

Post by Tim:H11 Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:25 am

I got a new Wolf Sear Spring for my RO and I was tuning it when I noticed that if I set up my trigger pull with out the grips safety and then instal the grip safety after words and check it again I gain a whole pound. Is this normal and if not what is the cause? I have not changed the grip safety. Just the sear spring.

Back to top Go down

Grip Safety affecting trigger pull? Empty Re: Grip Safety affecting trigger pull?

Post by Jerry Keefer Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 am

The unitized nature of the sear spring, makes each leaf sympathetic to the other.
I discovered that machining a relief into the mainspring housing for each leaf, and installing an adjustment screw for the sear leaf, made life much more manageable.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Grip Safety affecting trigger pull? Empty Re: Grip Safety affecting trigger pull?

Post by Tim:H11 Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 am

Interesting idea. Unfortunately the means to try that aren't at my disposal.

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryA Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:The unitized nature of the sear spring, makes each leaf sympathetic to the other.
I discovered that machining a relief into the mainspring housing for each leaf, and installing an adjustment screw for the sear leaf, made life much more manageable.

Just straight through the back of the mainspring housing?
Do you have a picture, please?

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Hello Tim:H11,

I think what Jerry is driving at....for some sear springs pressure/loads on one leaf (like that caused by the grip safety) may cause changes to the adjacent leaves.  I think you will find Colt sear springs do not have that tendency and would recommend substituting that manufacturer's part for your Wolff unit.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:38 pm

+1 on the colt sear springs... all I do to them is trim the left side of the sear leaf so it won't drag on the frame

here is a picture of one of Jerry's mainspring housings

https://s604.photobucket.com/user/jerrykeefer/media/DSC03974_zpsa595d66c.jpg.html
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:15 pm

jglenn21 wrote:+1 on the colt sear springs... all I do to them is trim the left side of the sear leaf so it won't drag on the frame

here is a picture of one of Jerry's mainspring housings

https://s604.photobucket.com/user/jerrykeefer/media/DSC03974_zpsa595d66c.jpg.html
Thank you... That saved me from having to dig it up...
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I do have a few of your Photobucket shots book marked.... Smile
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryA Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 pm

And my thanks to both of you.

Last edited by HenryA on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:34 am

Tim

Pull your grips off and take a look at the spring with the safety installed.. see if anything is pressing on the leafs. Also reduce your tension on the grip safety leaf..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Jerry should market some of his cool stuff, its great to see but most of us can just drool and continue using what we have.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 am

I ended up pulling the Wolff sear spring and replaceing it with a Colt styled one but I don't believe it's a Colt. It's a spare I picked up somewhere...? I have two Colt sear springs on order now. The replacement spring was easier to tune and I backed off the grip safety leg pressure some and problem was solved. Thanks guys I appreciate the input.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down