Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass Catcher Question

+6
orpheoet
jglenn21
Bigtrout
Chris Miceli
SteveT
Tim:H11
10 posters

Go down

Brass Catcher Question  Empty Brass Catcher Question

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:52 pm

What's the best .... Maybe not the best but what's the most affordable brass catcher that will still work without headaches? I don't own a brass catcher but I'd kind of like to have one.

Back to top Go down

Brass Catcher Question  Empty Re: Brass Catcher Question

Post by SteveT Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Best: http://www.cm-machine.com/.

Cheapest? I don't know. The first one I made cost almost nothing but was difficult to transport, blew over in the wind and didn't last. The second bought from one of the Team Ultradot guys (I forget the name) didn't collapse down as easily as the CMM but it did work well until the threads used to adjust height stripped. I decided to buy a CMM instead of trying to fix it.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:12 pm

I've had the champions choice butterfly catcher brass catcher and the Cmm. Sold the champ choice one .  Both are about the same price

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:03 pm

I made my own from 1/2" PVC pipe, tees and elbows.   Think hockey goal-shape in miniature, but with a net on the bottom.  I used nylon insect screening for netting attaching it to the frame with wire ties.  It can sit on a bench or attach to a pole for offhand via 2 copper pipe anchors screwed to one of the vertical struts.  Total cost $12.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Mine is made from a rubber fish net and a bit of welded tubing.
$25 or so.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

CMM
They sell a great mounting bracket for it.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Just a word of advise to all the "do it yourself" types out there.  Please make sure the netting conforms to the 1/4 inch mesh requirements similar to the rule for brass screens.

The match directors and range officers like to be able to see down the line without too much more visual impairment.  And you would not want your creation to be mistaken for a "windscreen".  

Lastly, make sure the base is solid and secure so your brass collector will not fall over onto the adjoining shooter.  He might then be in a position to ask for it to be removed.  

Just a couple of comments to keep things safe and friendly on the line.  Thank you.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Those are points I didn't think of. Thank you CR10X for mentioning that. A similar experience for me was when I got into mizzleloading pistol (structured much like bullseye) I was doing things that were flagged for safety violations and not having proper equipment. My mentor had been out of the game so long he didn't realize some of the practices he taught me weren't agreeable with the range officers! Oh well. I learned anyway and all was good. I may skip building one and maybe buy one. Not sure yet. Thanks guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:09 pm

It ends up being a dance.  Do you want it bad enough to spend the money & move on, or will you get more satisfaction by doing it your own way.  As much as enjoy noodling around my garage, sometimes I just want to shoot.  I will probably reinvent the CMM wheel that I bought when the weather turns too rough to ride or shoot outside.  Until then I will be happy with the money I spent.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Com by far. I bought the$38 PVC pos before I sucked it up for the CMM, When I got to Perry I was sooo glad I did.get the mid length for the Perry benches, I've made a 3" extension for mine, easily transportable from 50 to 25. Get a 4" Irwin clamp for the wind.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JWelch Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:07 am

Another vote for the CMM Ultimate Brass Catcher.  I'm 6' 1" and when I stand in my shooting position, my pistol is about 5' 6" off the ground. I purchased the standard 16" stem, which just barely gave me enough adjustment on the low benches at Camp Perry. Only had 1/2" to 1" of adjustment remaining. The standard 16" stem easily works on the higher benches at my local range.

JWelch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down