Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT Granddaughters first time with BB gun.

Go down

OT Granddaughters first time with BB gun. Empty OT Granddaughters first time with BB gun.

Post by Al on 8/22/2016, 7:33 pm

Sorry for the off topic, but had to share.
I gave my 3 granddaughters their first BB gun last Christmas.  I've been working with the oldest (9 now) in the basement when they visit. She is very much a perfectionist & gets very frustrated when she doesn't hit the black every time, but also won't listen to the fundamentals, so I just sit there & let her shoot offering suggestions, but figuring she at least gets some trigger time.

So this weekend I pull it out and sit on the front porch with it, a cup of coffee and a diagram of sight picture and sight alignment.  Figured it was time she shoots outdoors and gets some trigger time at Grandpa's house (visits are about 1 or less/month).  The second one (age 7) comes up and asks if she can try it, she's never shot anything before.  So I go through the safety lesson about muzzle control, how to stand, hold, and spent a lot more time on proper sight picture than she wanted to. 

Now in full disclosure, she is my "hold my beer and watch this" personality and I fully expected her to go to it like a duck to water.  She did not disappoint me.  Her first 5 shots were hits on a 1# coffee can (4"x6")sized cardboard target about 20' away.  Then she went away & played hop scotch and skipped rope for a while & came back to do 8 of 10 at 25'.  To be honest, I had 2 failures to pick up a BB in the 5 shots that I shot, and as I was watching her form & issuing corrective suggestions instead of watching for the BB's flight, I don't know if any BB actually came out on those 2 misses.  I just didn't hear a hit on those.  The 9 year old never got a hit and wouldn't listen to the same instructions I gave her sister.  The 4 year old listened to the instructions but decided she didn't want to shoot that day so she just watched for a bit & went & played.

Now the conniving portion of my mind is thinking, Hey,you have that nice little m34 S&W round butt in the vault, that's what my kids started on at a younger age than that.  Then I could move her to one of my lighter MKII Rugers, then to one of the high standards and by the time she's 16, I have a shooting partner to take to Perry. 

Devious Grandpa,  YUP!
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

OT Granddaughters first time with BB gun. Empty Re: OT Granddaughters first time with BB gun.

Post by C.Perkins on 8/22/2016, 7:49 pm

That's what grandpa's are for Smile

Thanks for sharing.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum