Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sightron S30-5

+4
DavidR
Fire Escape
jglenn21
Froneck
8 posters

Go down

Sightron S30-5 Empty Sightron S30-5

Post by Froneck 9/19/2016, 12:29 pm

Some time ago there was some discussing about the Sightron S30-5 red dot scope. I purchased one and was quite impressed with the appearance as it looked like a good item. Parallax was very small, dot size smaller than 5moa and round. Increasing intensity did cause the dot to starburst but if the back ground was bright no star bursting was noticed. I liked it so much I ordered another when they went on sale. (still in the unopened box)
 Shot Perry with it, 2 local matches plus some practice and it seem to be standing up to the 1911 recoil. BUT!!!! I went to an Annual Police L match in Harrisburg PA this weekend. A no alibi match at the easy Police L target. Two days, 1800 each day, .22 and CF. After the first day I noticed the intensity knob/battery compartment was very loose. This has happened with the Ultra Dot knob too but removing the battery and the metal insert there were a few screws that could be tightened and all was returned to normal, small drop of loktite stopped future problems. Thinking I could again tighten some screws I attempted it in the motel that evening. I could not gain access to the screws, metal insert seems to be a threaded ring at I could not make turn. Hoping to make it thru the match the next day I wrapped a rubber band around it. Made it thru Slow fire and NMC. First 5 of timed but dot disappeared after first shot of the second string, quickly turning the knob brought the dot back only disappear after the shot. Loosing time I simply pointed at the target and shotgunned the target. Looking at the knob after the string there was none there! Knob with the battery and battery cover was laying on the bench. 3 of the 6 screws were still in the metal plate that was bent in half, have no idea where the other 3 very tiny screws went. Changed to my Ball gun and completed the match.
 I'm going to try to get it fixed, maybe Optics Planet will help.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Sightron S30-5 Empty Re: Sightron S30-5

Post by jglenn21 9/19/2016, 2:33 pm

talk with Sightron

they will simply replace it verses any repair

good folks from my experience
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/19/2016, 2:35 pm

So far my S30 has been just fine
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 9/19/2016, 2:35 pm

That is not very encouraging. Mine is sitting here (new in the box) waiting to be installed on my 41, recoil should not be a big issue. I was very pleased with the early reports and happier still that I got it from Optics Planet for $140.40 shipped on one of their deals but if it isn't going to last perhaps I should wait to change out my cheap (TR-25?) red dot. I hope that you have good luck in getting yours repaired!

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/19/2016, 3:46 pm

Anything will hold up on a 22 its not being slammed around
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/19/2016, 6:22 pm

I agree ... mount it on the 41 and enjoy it
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 9/20/2016, 9:55 am

From what I can see on the failure of my Sightron is that the screws vibrated out. If I could have gained access to them as I mentioned doing on an UltraDot I would have repaired it. Might do the same thing on a .22 but take longer. However I'd mount it!
 I called Optics Planet but they only offer a 30 day return. O.P. did give me the number for Sightron, I called and talked to Ian, he was very nice and said the scope will be repaired or replaced. Return it with a note as to gun and mounting so they can understand what caused the failure. So mount the Scope because sitting in the box it will not go bad nor will O.P. take it back after 30 days. Better off if it fails, send it to Sightron.
 Mine was slide mounted with the same rings supplied by Aimpoint. I did not like the pieces of ?? cloth ?? inside the rings that came with the Sightron and did like the rings that came with the Aimpoint 9000SC so I got them from Midway for $22 (ordered 2 to get free shipping) Though I had the rings as tight as possible the scope was sliding forward because the original cuts for the clamp screws did not allow mounting the rings in a location to prevent movement. Being too lazy to cut another groove nor did I want to have another grove I eventually machined a tube of Black Delrin to fill in the space. Worked great until the knob came loose and eventually fell off.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Sightron S30-5 Empty Interesting discovery

Post by Froneck 9/20/2016, 11:43 pm

While eating lunch today I tinkered with the knob that fell off the Sightron. I was able to unscrew the ring inside the knob just under the battery cover. Wasn't hard to unscrew, a pair of needle nose pliers did the trick! Too bad I didn't have them Sunday!! While doing that I dropped the battery cover on my office floor, wasn't watching what direction it went but when I tried to find it I couldn't! The Millett 1" red dot sight I removed was sitting there and the battery cover looked to be the same size. Having a rush job and not much time to look for the battery cover that must have rolled someplace.
 When I removed the battery cover on the Millett I noticed it was exactly the same inside! The battery cap fit the Sightron S30-5. I unscrewed the internal ring, it also fit the Sightron. Everything is exactly the same except the outside of the knob on the Sightron is Diamond Knurled, the Millet has a series of 1/2 round slots. I'm thinking both are made by the same company. The Millett was on the gun for at least20 years! Still works good!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/21/2016, 12:58 pm

A lot of products are the same just branded different for different companies.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/21/2016, 10:09 pm

DavidR wrote:A lot of products are the same just branded different for different companies.
 I agree. My memory sucks sometimes. I remember someone on this forum posting a picture of a copy of the Ultradot 4 dot that was still being made by a clone company. I remember that but can't remember the name of the other company. There is still a lot of interest here in the old 4 dot. Anyone have a better recollection?

Len  (bet the Millet cost less then the Sightron)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 9/21/2016, 11:31 pm

I was using a scope called Illusion, it looked a lot like the 1" UltraDot. It did not come with the extension tube or the Polarized filter but the ones from the UltraDot fit. Also the cover for the battery on the dot intensity knob also fit. The 2 were Identical though the Illusion was cheaper.

I've seen the Millet selling for $58 though I think it was the 1" tube version.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/22/2016, 6:53 am

I have a Laseraim Illusion with the Pulsepoint strobe added on.  The dot can be set to blink.  And yes it switches parts with the UD and is/was Japan made.  Looks very much like the UD. I wonder if Laseraim scopes predated and became UD.  AS far as I can tell it is an excellent scope.
Here's a couple googly links
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-260060.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=Laseraim+illusion&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy-_v47qLPAhWF6oMKHQjGBt8QsAQINA&biw=1440&bih=906
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 9/22/2016, 7:26 am

http://www.to-scope.co.jp/english_site/top_product_dot_en.html

Tokyo Scope, OEM for many name brands...
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/22/2016, 8:48 am

That Bed-17 is the 4 dot clone. http://www.to-scope.co.jp/english_site/bed_17_en.html . That's what I was looking for. Thanks everyone.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by paul noles 10/23/2016, 7:07 pm

Froneck

Hows your sightron now..

paul noles

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 10/23/2016, 11:51 pm

Don't know, Didn't get it back yet. However I did have a second one and it's working OK so far.  What I did was to open the battery compartment, unscrew the center ring. The PC board comes out and rge screws are visible. I removed one at a time and put loctite on them.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by paul noles 10/24/2016, 12:13 am

I bought 2 in the spring... 1 slide mount .45 ..1 on .22...no probs....buddy bought 1 on recomendation..his is frame mount ..coming apart as you describe..have you messed with a vortex sparc 2..was wondering about them on the slide..just cant afford 500.00. For each dot..just want something to work decent ..with no image reduction..

Paul

paul noles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down