Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

boots question

4 posters

Go down

boots question Empty boots question

Post by joy2shoot 9/25/2016, 9:00 am

When I first got into Bullseye, I was bombarded with all kinds of do's and don'ts.  One of which was you cannot have any kind of joint support, which I assumed included the ankles.  So I searched for and bought an athletic shoe that had a flat sole to give maximum surface area between shoe and ground, but has zero ankle support.

I have since learned that while not specifically stated in the rule book and seemingly contrary (as least to me) to rule 5.2.c "any garment which can be interpreted as providing artificial support", ankle support is ok because "that is what the military guys and gals have to wear".

So before I go out and buy more stuff, for those of you who wear boots that cover your ankles while shooting, do you think it provides noticeable support?  Or is it no better than an athletic shoe?

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

boots question Empty Re: boots question

Post by Wobbley 9/25/2016, 9:11 am

In reality, the "combat boots" of the 70s don't provide much ankle support. What footwear rules in I SU were designed to do was to prevent shooters showing up in ski boots. AHG and others used to sell "shooting boots" which were constructed like hi-top athletic shoes.

What you have is fine.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 9/25/2016, 10:05 am

I have shot NRA matches in my LL Bean hiking boots for years, mostly because they are comfortable for all day wear and for when the range is wet.  I've also worn my old jungle boots, and at Camp Perry, knee high rubber boots when the mud was half way to my knees. I agree with Wobbley that the rule is for very rigid over the ankle boots like ski boots or the specialized shooting boots that don't allow for much ankle flex.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/26/2016, 11:36 am

Shoot away with boots or high top shoes at "bullseye" matches, but don't show up in cowboy boots, etc. for an international pistol match.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/26/2016, 11:43 am

BE Mike wrote:Shoot away with boots or high top shoes at "bullseye" matches, but don't show up in cowboy boots, etc. for an international pistol match.

Unless you have friends in low places....
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down