Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good source of air for Steyr LP50?

+3
SteveT
jmdavis
beeser
7 posters

Go down

Good source of air for Steyr LP50? Empty Good source of air for Steyr LP50?

Post by beeser 9/26/2016, 4:54 pm

I recently purchased a Steyr LP50 pistol and need to purchase an air tank to fill the 2 small cylinders.  I was thinking of getting a high pressure 120 cu. ft. steel scuba tank.  Is that a good choice?  I didn't want to go with a carbon fiber tank because of the expense.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Good source of air for Steyr LP50? Empty Re: Good source of air for Steyr LP50?

Post by jmdavis 9/26/2016, 5:21 pm

A hill pump works great, costs about the same and doesn't require yearly inspections and 5 year hydro inspections. It is also good exercise. 

That out of the way, the 80 cu ft tank works well. But some shops won't fill ones that they don't sell. That is another good thing about the pump.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 9/26/2016, 9:18 pm

A hand air pump works well, unless you are particularly small or shooting high power air guns a lot. I could see a person who weighs less than 150 lbs or so having trouble getting the last little bit of air in. When I was 170 lbs I had to kind of jump on it to get the last 10% in the tank. Now that I'm closer to 190 it's a bit easier.

I've never tracked how many shots I get out of my LP50, but my old LP10 could get more than 100 shots from a fill. It took about 5-10 minutes to pump it back up with my early Hill Pump.

I have no experience with SCUBA tanks.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 9/26/2016, 10:19 pm

Depending on the shop if you're trying to fill a scuba tank they can ask for your dive certification card.  Hand pump makes it much more simple.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/26/2016, 10:29 pm

beeser wrote:I recently purchased a Steyr LP50 pistol and need to purchase an air tank to fill the 2 small cylinders.  I was thinking of getting a high pressure 120 cu. ft. steel scuba tank.  Is that a good choice?  I didn't want to go with a carbon fiber tank because of the expense.

I went with a steel SCUBA tank, bought it on CraigsList for $60 and it just had 5 year inspection.  I bought a 2nd used tank from the dive shop and got 20 free refills with it.  I wish I would have known they did that before I bought the one on CraigsList, but now I can drop off a tank and take my time picking it up.

At my shop I had to sign a non dive waiver which they keep on file so I can get filled. 

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 9/27/2016, 12:41 am

The local dive shop I stopped into to ask about a tank fills tanks for the local high school shooting teams, so I decided the appropriate good-onya was to buy a 80 cu ft tank from them that was also at a competitive price compared to mail order. They made me sign a waiver which they keep on file.

When I shoot at air rifle/pistol halls like CMP Anniston or local events they offer pistol and rifle tank cylinder refills. Just have to be sure to bring my adapter.

I should also mention I was shocked at how casual the divers are with air cylinder handling. I'm used to industrial tanks and the need to have the valves protected during shipping and handling and the tanks protected from falling over in storage. Maybe I have too much imagination or too many safety audits in my work areas. I have my air tank strapped upright to a shelving unit to keep it from falling over.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/27/2016, 3:00 pm

I went with a new 80 cu. ft. aluminum tank from my local dive shop, many years ago. If you go scuba, get the DIN
 valve so you don't need an adapter to fill your cylinders. I personally like the fact that my scuba air is completely dry. Champion's Choice has a pretty good deal on scuba tanks. You might want to join http://targettalk.org. There are a lot of good international shooters on it and you can get some very good advice about international type air guns. Here is a good website for scuba and air guns: http://www.pilkguns.com/scubasafety.shtml
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down