Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New JEM frame - The Competitor

4 posters

Go down

New JEM frame - The Competitor Empty New JEM frame - The Competitor

Post by HogCommander 10/21/2016, 9:05 pm

Just took delivery of 2 new frames from JEM today. I worked with Ed Minshew to get a modified version of his Master Series Extended frame. This was a small group buy which I think helped convince Ed to do the mods. Ed decided to save this version and call it The Competitor. It's not on their website or pricelist but if you're interested recommend calling him to discuss.

Gonna use at least one of these in an upcoming build class. Here are the specs I think others might be interested in:

Frame is 0.785 wide...roughly same width as a "normal" 1911 frame with 0.010 spacers under the grip panels. The unmodified Master Series Extended frame from JEM has recesses milled into the frame (approx 0.011 deep) for the slide stop, plunger tube, and ambidextrous safety. Because I'm a right handed Bullseye shooter, I have no need for ambi safety so Ed omitted the right side recess.

Width at frame rails is 0.755

Frontstrap radius is 0.500. Some don't like the "blocky" feel of the larger radius frontstraps but they feel great to me. Ed also has other radii in the computer such as 0.406 and 0.437 but not sure how easy it is for him to mix and match features like this.

Checkering is 15 LPI on both the frontstrap and flat mainspring housing. Other checkering options are available.

Dust cover is full length but I intend to cut down to Government length for my build. Unlike the Master Series Extended frames, this one has a radius cut on the outside of the dust cover. I don't know the actual radius but the bottom of the dust cover is thicker than most frames I've seen. At its thickest part (the "bottom"), the JEM dust cover is 0.155. For comparison, the same measurement is 0.120 on one of my Foster frames and 0.050 on an STI. I had asked Ed if he could do a radius that would leave a little extra weight up front to help with recoil in Sustained Fire. Very happy with the result.

Trigger guard is radiused (rounded) unlike the Master Series Extended.

Weight: The Competitor weighs 14.3 oz but will get lighter when I cut down the dust cover. By comparison, my Foster frame weighs 13.0 oz and STI weighs 11.8 oz.

Price is not cheap. Frame is $350.14 but for the wide-body frame you really need the matching grip safety from JEM. The grip safety is $64.32 and will require much less effort to fit/blend to the frame. The mainspring housing was another $52.47 but it's engineered to fit with minimal gaps.

I plan to document the build class I'm taking after Thanksgiving and will share more then for those that may be interested in The Competitor. Here are some pics:
Attachments
New JEM frame - The Competitor Attachment
Left Side 2.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(151 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
Left Side.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(132 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
Right Side.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(150 Kb) Downloaded 17 times
Bottom-001.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(169 Kb) Downloaded 12 times

HogCommander

Back to top Go down

New JEM frame - The Competitor Empty Re: New JEM frame - The Competitor

Post by Jon Eulette 10/21/2016, 9:50 pm

The JEM frames are first rate. I've built 2 and had no issues. They require more prep for finishing (bluing) than other frames but not a big deal. Have fun!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 10/22/2016, 9:51 am

NICE
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 10/29/2016, 11:36 am

Sweet, I think I finally found my custom frames...

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down