Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range report

+5
Tim:H11
Wobbley
robert84010
cdrt
kjanracing
9 posters

Go down

Range report Empty Range report

Post by kjanracing 10/30/2016, 10:14 am

I bought this Colt wad gun off GB after a recommendation in the classified section here. It was built by Buddy Chapman out of Texas. Beautiful pistol! Took it to the range the day after I got it. Didn't need to make any adjustments to the dot. This target is 20 rounds timed-ish fire. Wow, easy. Shot it in league and did a 96 T and 94 R. Super happy with it. Was shooting a RO, now it is the lower for my Nelson.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Range report Empty Re: Range report

Post by kjanracing 10/30/2016, 12:14 pm

Hmmm no picture.  I'll try again...
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 10/30/2016, 12:25 pm

Knew you would like it.  Buddy does great work.  It's too bad his health is in decline.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 10/30/2016, 5:29 pm

kjanracing wrote:....... Was shooting a RO, now it is the lower for my Nelson.
You are not the first. That is why there are some of us here that say find a used gun setup by a bullseye 'smith to begin with. I am sure i'll get blasted by the RO posse, but you are not the first to eventually get around to buying a used gun that works out better. There is a HM here that has lost track of how many 10000's of rounds through his gun that was built over 20 years ago and he just shot his PB, 2660+ with it last year. Got to find one done by the known good bullseye smiths.

just saying....

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/30/2016, 6:55 pm

ROBERT: only if the gun isn't worn out and it somewhat depends on the era it was built.  And with so few true wadguns in your LGS buying one off Gunbroker can be a challenge getting a good one.  Is the RO a better option for many?  For many it is.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 10/31/2016, 9:33 am

WOBBLEY,
I agree it takes a little research and legwork to find a bullseye pistol, just like it takes some research and legwork to find the right gunsmith to send an RO to. Sending a pistol to any gunsmith doesn't guarantee it comes back better than when you sent it. Plus rebarreling an RO will void the warranty. The good gunsmiths have wait lists, so you can't shoot while it is there. New shooters can shoot 22 for a 3 gun match now, rather than jump on an Ro that needs work, why not look around for a season and shoot 22. They are not out anything by waiting and saving for a better pistol to begin with.
I have never bought a wadcutter pistol from a gunstore or gun show myself, I know they are rarely in gunstores. A person is taking no less of a risk when buying the inconsistent quality RO than buying a used bullseye 'smith built pistol. big deal, an RO has a warranty, you are still out of a pistol while the new pistol is back at the factory getting work done that should have been done the first time. Several people here have had to send their supposedly "great out of the box" pistol back for work.

my gunsmith has very little to say about Les Baer, but has even less good to say about an RO and so I am just a little tired of hearing a default "buy an RO"  answer by some. 

I say shoot 22 until the right pistol comes along or a person can save and a do new build done right the first time.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 10/31/2016, 12:55 pm

I'll say this much about a Range Officer and I feel I'm qualified to do so since I one and have put plenty of lead through it. They offer a good platform to build on. If you don't want a used wad gun and want a new one then the RO is good base to start from. 

Shooting one stock? Not easy. Mine at least recoils too much. I've had plenty of talks with the smiths here and it's just a stock gun. Not fitted for 50 yard shooting but with the right adjustments it could be. But it won't be comfortable either. 

Mine will get rebarreled soon. As for now it makes a great lower for the Nelson. 

I think the RO is an affordable place to start for shooters who aren't sure if they'll stick with the sort. That way they're in it for much less and can sell it later or keep it as an excellent plinker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/31/2016, 1:20 pm

I would recommend a RO over a much older used wadgun. They are actually built better than many old school pistols I rebuild. If you can find an older pistol with a Kart barrel in it, odds are it will be better than the RO. The RO builds into a great pistol. I would agree that it's a good starting platform to decide if you wanted to try BE and would recommend initially just getting a trigger job. Kjanracing, I'm glad you found a nice used wadgun. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by UtahDave 10/31/2016, 2:15 pm

Folks,

Are there any 'out of the box' 45s that are even close to a dedicated build on an RO platform?  I see that Springfield Armory has a bunch of higher end models.  Then there is STI...lots of hype but are they great?

I'm looking to buy another 45 so I can get some younger shooters interested in BE.  I am not sure I have the patience for a 6 to 9 month wait.  

David

UtahDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/31/2016, 2:38 pm

I would use a RO for juniors in a heart beat! As I said, get a trigger job and let then have at it. I'd use 3.5 gr BE for both yard lines because they won't be able to benefit from a fully match built pistol for over 12 months unless really gifted. Get them in love with sport then worry about a match gun for that special kid that loves the game.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 10/31/2016, 2:48 pm

I think for the cost of a factory marketed BE gun out of a manufacturers custom shop you could have one built for the same or less sometimes (assuming you're starting with a factory gun already as a base). And I'm willing to bet the build will be better quality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 10/31/2016, 4:12 pm

I picked up a used gun with a nice dot for a fair price. Rebarreled and good to go.... then the slide lightening and KC aimpoint mount.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 10/31/2016, 7:01 pm

well I guess my perspective is out of date but it is what was told to me by the people I got started with. When my buddy showed me what bullseye was about and told me about the Distinguished Badge I said I was in and my buddy said don't buy a thing! A month later I had Caspian frame and slide, barsto barreled ball gun. I shot up to 280 with it using issued ball, went out in 2.5 years.
A few years later I had a San Diego gunsmith, Bob Brown, build a wadcutter and another ballgun for me. I remember him charging me $250 for each build and that included the bluing by a local guy. So each of those I had well under $1k total, well under. I sold the ballgun to a new shooter along with a Marvel to him started, he never followed up with the work and I suppose it sits in his safe. so now I'd rather not sell my good inexpensive stuff. still have the wadcutter, still shoots on call.
I guess I was just around guys that didn't piecemeal stuff over time, they just built stuff on Caspian parts. You can still today get a Foster frame for $95+shipping. just bought two last year for new shooters in my area. That is what I paid for my first frame at Perry 15 years ago, although it had checkering for that price. not anymore.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/31/2016, 8:13 pm

Not out of date.  Just that a lot of good bullseye pistols end up as safe queens rather than being sold off.  I'm as guilty as the next person on that.  and the build techniques have changed to the point that a really old pistol and somewhat worn may not be much better than the RO out of the box.   I can remember when a Series 70 Gold Cup was what a new shooter likely started with.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/1/2016, 2:22 pm

Wobbley wrote:Not out of date.  Just that a lot of good bullseye pistols end up as safe queens rather than being sold off.  I'm as guilty as the next person on that.  and the build techniques have changed to the point that a really old pistol and somewhat worn may not be much better than the RO out of the box.   I can remember when a Series 70 Gold Cup was what a new shooter likely started with.
I did that in the 70's and it didn't take me long to outshoot the Gold Cup. I was a Sharpshooter. I ended up getting a Clark custom pistol when Jim Sr. was still running the show. I made Expert pretty quickly after that, but it took me a while to break into Master. It wasn't the gun's fault, just a loose nut behind the trigger.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down