Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Bullseye competition division

+5
DeweyHales
DavidR
Jack H
Powderman
Poldoc
9 posters

Go down

New Bullseye competition division Empty New Bullseye competition division

Post by Poldoc 6/13/2011, 12:08 am

I would like to see some comments on a proposal for a new Bullseye division, which would not replace our current format but which could be offered as an additional option at Bullseye tournaments.
BACKGROUND:
I am something of a duffer pistolero, having started with a Belgian-made Browning Challenger shooting on the University of Illinois pistol team back in the sixties, and then starting up again in 1996 after a 30-year hiatus from competition. I currently hold Sharpshooter classification, which may be as good as it gets because of my personal bias against optics alongside my 69-year-old eyes, but I still enjoy the competition and I like the Bullseye format. I just prefer to shoot with guns that are used in the real world, as service pistols, for personal protection (car guns, bedside guns, concealed carry), trail and camp "packing pistols", etc. For this reason I particularly enjoy hardball leg matches and the Distinguished Revolver matches, which allow me to indulge my equipment biases and still compete on a more level playing field with other shooters. Perhaps there are other shooters that share this philosophy.
"MODERN" BULLSEYE
This would be a new division which would shoot under the same format as our current "Classic" Bullseye, and could even be fired on the same range, simultaneously with the classic matches, just as some clubs allow hardball shooters to shoot alongside revolver shooters. Because "Modern" shooters would be competing under some differing regulations and equipment restrictions, to simplify things for the RO, the squadding may need to divide the shooters so that "Modern" shooters are assigned to one side of the line, and "Classic" to the other, with perhaps some form of ID (arm band?) so that the RO can quickly ascertain which division each shooter is competing in.

The classifications would not cross over, just as indoor classifications are separate from outdoor. We would all start out as Modern Novices.

Shooters could shoot both divisions at the same tournament if done on different relays.

THE REGULATIONS:
These are my suggestions, along with the rationale behind them. I'd like to hear your thoughts, either pro or con.
One- or two-handed shooting permitted; because that's the way we're taught to shoot in the real world. (This might allow some shooters to come back who had to quit due to shoulder, elbow or wrist injuries. I know three such individuals.)

No optics, for the same reasons they're not allowed in the service pistol, revolver, and IDPA matches.

No big bulky target grips. The guns should be able to ride comfortably in a holster that you could wear while driving a vehicle, riding a horse, or hiking.

For .22, I envision the likes of the Ruger Mark II or III, the Browning Buck Mark, or the S&W K-22 revolver. Max barrel length around 6". No magazines in front of the trigger. Perhaps permit .17 cal?

CF guns should be suitable for concealed carry. Nothing longer, taller, or heavier than an M1911 or M9. Perhaps a box could be used as is specified for IDPA matches. If the gun don't fit you must aquit. (Sorry.)

The .45s could go a bit larger and heavier, but should still be something that you could wear all day in a Special Forces type duty holster, or one of those outside shoulder holsters that hunters carry their Redhawks in.

Finally, this may be my most controversial suggestion: no refires. Reason: in a hunting, self-defense, or combat situation, you can't ask the quarry, perp, or enemy to "hold that thought while I shoot my "alibi". This would put more of a premium on reliable firearms and ammo.

Thoughts?

Poldoc

Poldoc

Back to top Go down

New Bullseye competition division Empty Re: New Bullseye competition division

Post by Powderman 6/13/2011, 12:41 am

It sounds interesting. I don't know about the .17 caliber, but other than that, it sounds fine.

I believe that your interest is similar to mine--to get more people to the firing line, and to get them shooting. Your approach might just do that.

Eagle
Powderman
Powderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/13/2011, 1:32 am

I have the same desire to promote "modern" style shooting. Using the same firearm criteria poldoc mentions, fire courses for score on bullseye targets set up in arrangements similar to speed steel, bianchi, or five across like Olympic RF. Five shot series like RF, ten shots with a reload, double taps.... Let the imagination run wild here.

Use the hand held timers for the courses. Establish par times. Add to the score the time below par. Subtract from the score any time over par. This way the reward is for accuracy ANd speed.

If I score 89 points in 2.1 seconds UNder par, my result is 89+2.1=91.1
Your score of 93 in 2.0 seconds OVer par, your result is 93-2.0=91
I win!

In the infancy of this, the start will be down ready. No holsters.
I am not sure about sub 22 cal either.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/13/2011, 10:41 am

IMO, the Sport of Conventional Bullseye should be preserved, and not convoluted with other options for shooting that are already in place for shooting other types of matches. I would like to see regular BE matches include the maximum allowed number per year of Hardball and Distinguished Revolver matches and these scores be counted so more could have a chance to get distinguished.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/13/2011, 11:01 am

DavidR wrote:IMO, the Sport of Conventional Bullseye should be preserved, and not convoluted with other options for shooting that are already in place for shooting other types of matches. I would like to see regular BE matches include the maximum allowed number per year of Hardball and Distinguished Revolver matches and these scores be counted so more could have a chance to get distinguished.

I am speaking of a completely new game to get more people shooting what they got. It might introduce steel, action, or BE to new people.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales 6/14/2011, 11:19 am

In our area, shooting sports are busting at the seams. For people interested in accuracy, there are bullseye and service pistol matches. For people interested in speed, there are IDPA and USPSA matches. Our ranges and matches are often full.

Distinguished is a pursuit, and the journey is a lot of the fun.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/14/2011, 11:36 am

DeweyHales wrote:In our area, shooting sports are busting at the seams. For people interested in accuracy, there are bullseye and service pistol matches. For people interested in speed, there are IDPA and USPSA matches. Our ranges and matches are often full.

Not so in my area.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

New Bullseye competition division Empty We tried it.

Post by dnaughtin 6/16/2011, 8:00 am

Our club has something over 900 members. Each pistol discipline has a monthly match and a weekly practice session. IDPA, USPSA and Steel Chalange will draw 35 to 50 at the monthly match and 15 to 25 at the weekly practice. Bullseye will draw 12 to 20 at the monthly match and the weekly practice will see 3 to 6 shooters.

In the monthly news letter we invited all members to join us at the weekly practice session and shoot whatever gun they had, one or two handed and their choice of 50 or 25 yards for slow fire. Three people attended the first session after the news letter came out, shooting mostly Glocks as I remember. One of those made the second session and no one has seen any of them since.

Bullyseye is "special" and attracts a "special" group. Not everyone enjoys what we do even when we modify the rules to attract a wider group of participants.

Dick
dnaughtin
dnaughtin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvel22 9/5/2011, 3:32 pm

Sounds like a Police L match.Shot at 25yards, one or two hold. 900points possible. Lots of fun and gets new people started at 25yard shooting.

Marvel22

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 9/5/2011, 9:24 pm

There are "rules" in place that allow the match director to specify a particular style gun for matches such as revolver only, open sights and caliber can be specific as well. Most match directors do not do this for matches in our area.

For those of you in full matches area (did I mention I need to move?) you could hold one match a month with a specific firearm, optic or caliber and still have it be an NRA approved match.

We talked about having our indoor centerfire league be revolver/iron sights only, try to get 35-40 people to agree on that one! I like the concept and feel it could bring new/additional shooters to the BE world. Keep at it in a local basis and see if you can make it grow.

10's N X's

Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Goldfarb 9/6/2011, 11:57 am

We hold a "Combat" match once a month at our club that I love to compete in. CF with iron sights only with a pistol that will fit into a holster. 7, 15, 25, and 50 yards 1500 score. One or two hand hold, and no alibis. Standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, left and right side barricade. Not only lots of fun, but prepares you for the real world. Target is B27 silhouette. cheers
Jerry Goldfarb
Jerry Goldfarb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down