Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec

+4
desben
LenV
BE Mike
Slartybartfast
8 posters

Go down

Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec Empty Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec

Post by Slartybartfast 11/11/2016, 10:47 am

There's no introductions forum, and I feel that it's polite to say you've come into the room and have started to lurk around.

So, Hello. Cool

Just purchased my first .22lr pistol (SW22 in signature) and am starting to look at competition options to develop my and test my skill. No previous experience with precision pistol shooting, but eager to try and see what I'm capable of.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec Empty Re: Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec

Post by BE Mike 11/11/2016, 11:17 am

Welcome aboard!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec Empty Re: Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec

Post by LenV 11/11/2016, 12:24 pm

Welcome, nice pistol.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 11/11/2016, 12:24 pm

Welcome from Ottawa, Ontario. If you haven't yet, look at the competition calendar from the FQTir. They run half a dozen ISSF matches per year. Think of Standard Pistol as the metric version of Bullseye. I shot with them a couple of times in Granby; nice folks.

In the spring, Ottawa has the outstanding Don Moore Memorial match, where you will find every ISSF pistol events, a NRA Bullseye match (1800), PPC, etc. Come in 2017!
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 11/11/2016, 12:30 pm

desben wrote:Welcome from Ottawa, Ontario.
Hi desben,

If you use the same username on TT.org, I'm Slartybartfast over there as well.

I'm definitely going to have to come to Ottawa for a competition. Probably the only way I'll ever see some of the pistols I'd like to maybe get.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/11/2016, 4:44 pm

welcome cheers
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/11/2016, 4:45 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:There's no introductions forum, and I feel that it's polite to say you've come into the room and have started to lurk around.

So, Hello. Cool

Just purchased my first .22lr pistol (SW22 in signature) and am starting to look at competition options to develop my and test my skill. No previous experience with precision pistol shooting, but eager to try and see what I'm capable of.
Good idea! We now have a New member introduction topic  as a Sticky at the top of the general discussion forum Greetings - New member from Montreal Québec 2935285009
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 11/15/2016, 11:01 am

Glad to see I've already been a positive influence. Smile
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/18/2016, 12:40 pm

Welcome!

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole 11/29/2016, 5:29 am

Hi Slartybartfast,

Greetings from a Canadian expat.  I used to live on the "West Island" part of Montreal, then moved to Ontario.  I'd be interested in hearing about the opportunities up there these days!  Most of my match shooting in Canada was 900s, occasional 1800s, and lots of weekday evening short matches, like National Match course.  There were lots of revolver matches back then!

Anyhow, I'm also "6string" over on Targettalk.  
Hope to hear about your experiences and perspectives.

Best Regards,
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 11/29/2016, 10:14 am

scheibenpistole wrote:I'd be interested in hearing about the opportunities up there these days!
So far I know nothing about competition opportunities. Even shooting opportunities are rare.
Only three indoor ranges on the island of Montreal. Only one catering to small bore target shooting. And all the ranges seem to take a dim view on non-members to fire restricted weapons. Didn't want to gt involved in yet another political activity, but promoting more competitive shooting in the area and finding the location and money a larger home for the club loom large on the list of things to do.
I've wanted to get into shooting for years. Growing up firearms were frowned upon and my foray into paintball in college didn't please the parents. Now many, many years later I'm finally licensed and in possession of a 22lr handgun.
I've now put some ammunition through it, gotten past the scare of a stuck takedown screw, and know that either I'm shooting consistently high, or I have to adjust the sights down. Aiming low I've manages a couple of 10's and a 10X. So I've managed my first X far faster than my first X in rifle. But considering my groupings, have to admit it was undoubtedly more fluke than skill.
Best score on Sunday morning was a 61. So plenty of room for improvement.
Everything is on target though, so I'm happy.  Smile
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 11/29/2016, 1:47 pm

Slartybartfast, Ive seen you post on TT, I'm ghillieman there too.

Bring that SW22 to the NRA National Championship Pistol matches at Camp Perry June 2017 and put it through its paces. You can enter the .22 only 2700 if you don't want to shoot the centerfire and 45 caliber matches. It's an eye opening experience.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 11/29/2016, 3:29 pm

Ghillieman wrote:Slartybartfast, Ive seen you post on TT, I'm ghillieman there too.

Bring that SW22 to the NRA National Championship Pistol matches at Camp Perry June 2017 and put it through its paces. You can enter the .22 only 2700 if you don't want to shoot the centerfire and 45 caliber matches. It's an eye opening experience.
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion.
I think I'll practice some more and see how badly I embarrass myself in club standings and competition first. Maybe a trip down the road to Ottawa or over the border to Plattsburgh to try competing with others.
Then maybe I'll see about going to some large event. It would certainly be an eye opener to see so many shooters. But I think it would be a very humbling if not embarrassing experience as far as my performance would be concerned.
Funny how Ohio keeps calling me. Used to own a classic '76 Mini and the club members wanted me to join them on a road trip to Ohio for Mini Meet. Now it's for guns...
I suppose it's only a 10hr drive...
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole 11/30/2016, 4:13 am

Only three indoor ranges?  Is one of them at the old 1976 Olympics facility?
There were a few guys years ago that shot outdoor Skeet Pistol (!) there.  They used T/C Contenders in 45/410.

Given your range access circumstances, sounds like some dry fire training might be a useful endeavor.

Best Regards,
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 11/30/2016, 7:13 am

scheibenpistole wrote:Only three indoor ranges?  Is one of them at the old 1976 Olympics facility?
There were a few guys years ago that shot outdoor Skeet Pistol (!) there.  They used T/C Contenders in 45/410.

Given your range access circumstances, sounds like some dry fire training might be a useful endeavor.

Best Regards,
Jim
The skeet/trap facilities from the Montreal Olympics are still there. There's also a pistol range. It's covered but not indoors.
But that's in Acadie. Not really all that close to Montreal.

30 minute drive from downtown. Damned inconvenient from where I am in the west of the island.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Montreal,+QC/Club+De+Tir+L'Acadie,+130+Ch+du+Ruisseau+des+Noyers,+Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu,+QC+J2Y+1G9/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x4cc91a541c64b70d:0x654e3138211fefef!1m2!1m1!1s0x4cc90a02ee8d4395:0x4f375efa330ed5f0!3e0
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/30/2016, 9:02 am

Well a lot of us drive further than that.  My range is a 45 minute drive.  There are a couple of indoor ranges that are closer, but the lighting is too poor to see the sights and my training suffers.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 11/30/2016, 11:38 am

Wobbley wrote:Well a lot of us drive further than that.  My range is a 45 minute drive.  There are a couple of indoor ranges that are closer, but the lighting is too poor to see the sights and my training suffers.
There are other outdoor ranges as well. If I was going to shoot, Acadie is almost the same distance from my home as from downtown. But the logistics of transport also come into play. From work Acadie would require me to travel 45 minutes home then 45min back to Acadie.
And traffic is hellish in both directions at rush hour.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down