Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 14

3 posters

Go down

S&W Model 14 Empty S&W Model 14

Post by Virgil Kane 2/21/2012, 7:49 pm

A few years ago I pick up a used Model 14-3 at a real good price (under $200). I bought it from a guy that adjusted the barrel cylinder gap to .015 affraid because he said that when in matches (don't know what kind of matches) the powder and lead fouling on the cylinder would bind the cylinder at the barrel gap. On top of doing this he also cut it cockeyed so that one side is a bigger gap then on the other No . Does anybody know if S&W still works on these? I know I can have the barrel set back but would like it if S&W could do the work. The gun shoots fine and is in great condition but does some lead spitting at times with wad cutter loads (2.8 BE) and I would like to get this corrected if I can. I believe the gap should be .004-.005.

Thanks in advance.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 14 Empty Re: S&W Model 14

Post by Jerry Keefer 2/21/2012, 8:53 pm

Virgil;

I wish I wasn't so backed up.. I would fix it for you. I would not send it to S&W. Revolver smiths have a saying.. The gun revolves around the cylinder..To run tight gaps, all other tolerances must be correct, and in alignment. .002/.003 is possible when all things are correct. Since the barrel is coming off, consider a Taylor Throat in place of the forcing cone..

Jim Stroh is a great revolver smith, but I sense he is slowing down some.. Marc Hartshorne of Pinnacle Guns is an excellent machinist, and revolver competitor. Both are Guild members and you're end result will be better than factory..

Good luck

Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 2/22/2012, 7:11 am

Jerry;

Thank you for the recomendations. I had thought about putting a Clark barrel on this but decided to keep it stock. I know I had some work done on a model 60 a few years back by the S&W factory and they had gotten the revolver back in about 4 days and the work at that time was good. I had heard that as of late the factory work was questionable IF they would except it. This is a gun that I don't shoot that often so the time frame of work being done wouldn't be of critical importance as long as it wasn't into years of waiting. At some point I'd like to use this model 14 in hopes of getting my Distinguished Revolver so keeping it stock is very important to me. It's sad that Bubba the gunsmith got his heavy hands on a otherwise fine pistol.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Patterson 2/22/2012, 12:19 pm

Virgil..I have a barrel that I just took off a model 14 that was like new..I put on a bull for International Centerfire..I would consider selling this barrel if it would help you..Thanks Mark
Mark Patterson
Mark Patterson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down