Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody read this book?

+7
Ghillieman
jmdavis
Doug Tiedt
Profe5s0r
Jack H
SteveT
mspingeld
11 posters

Go down

Anybody read this book? Empty Anybody read this book?

Post by mspingeld 12/12/2016, 7:57 pm

I saw this book on DistinguishedPrecision.com (a sponsor of this forum). Wondering it anyone has read it and what they thought of it.

http://distinguishedprecision.com/The-Progressive-Method-for-Precision-Pistol-A-Training-Plan-for-Bullseye-Pistol-Competitors-By-X-Count-Training-Systems_p_2726.html

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anybody read this book? Empty Re: Anybody read this book?

Post by SteveT 12/13/2016, 1:52 pm

Never seen or heard about it. Anyone know who wrote it?
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/13/2016, 2:03 pm

A print copy of Zins workbook, maybe?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/13/2016, 8:27 pm

Hi guys...I didn't expect folks to start talking about this till at least after the holidays when I start actively promoting it! So I'm very surprised! 
But it seems that it's time for me to go ahead and do some explaining.
This book is a derivative of The Marine Corps Pistol Team Workbook...but I took it to the next level. Brian did not write the original workbook, but that's where he learned the principles that he used in his success. I don't know who originally drafted it, or came up with the concepts, (I've never actually been a member of the "Big Team", but did benefit from learning these concepts while on the Marine Corps Team at Parris Island with MSgt Chives as our coach in 1994) but from what I've heard, the original workbook has been around since the 60's. Again, I might be completely wrong, but would love to be educated!
Brian does have the Workbook on his site available for download which is where I got it myself. But I had trouble going through it, and realized that #1: if I had questions after having shot on a Marine Corps team for a year then others do too, #2: most people who are working through that version of the Pistol Workbook don't have the benefit of having a Marine Corps Team Coach standing behind them every day at the range, and #3 Printing out the whole thing as well as the targets to train with went through a whole lot of ink cartridges!  
So, it occurred to me that I could go ahead and explain these concepts and weave them into the workbook myself, as I've been using the same techniques for 20+ years. (with the exception of a 10 year hiatus during which my deployment schedules kept me from shooting)  So, I started writing out what lessons were taught to me, page by page, while still trying to stay simple and concise, but going into more detail as to how and why... I also added some items like sections to help work up an individual shot plan, which was never covered in the original. 
If nothing else, it gives users of this training method a nice, wire bound complete book, already printed and 3-hole punched so that at the completion of one, they can all go into a big binder for future reference. 
I also have custom refaces made for the Small and Large Training Targets as a convenience and because I got sick of the way regular copy paper acts when shot. 
So, for those who like the original USMC Pistol Team Workbook, that is still available at Brian's website as well as the Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol for free. But if you've already tried out that version and found it lacking information and explanation at times or just didn't want to mess with printing the whole thing out...you can give my "re-imagination" a try. Forgive me for the gratuitous marketing...so moves the modern world. 
As a disclaimer, I'm no national champion (yet), but I went Distinguished with the Pistol in 2002 at the Marine Corps Eastern Division matches and went out with the rifle in 2015. Got into the President's Hundred pistol list on my first try and have been slowly climbing the results board as I've now got enough time to properly practice. I might not have the best skills at execution, but I do have a knack for instruction. So I do hope to have produced something that really adds to the world of bullseye pistol.
Sincerely, 
Anthony Bellipanni
CMP #162404
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

http://www.DistinguishedPrecision.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt 12/13/2016, 9:30 pm

Anthony,

Perhaps on your website you can post a few pages of the manual, so we can see what you are adding to the USMC Pistol Workbook?  Thanks.

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 12/13/2016, 9:48 pm

Now that I know who wrote it and why I will buy it. I don't know who wrote the original either. But I'm not sure it was around in the 60s. I do know that the summer team was not using it last year. My understanding was that Moody had something to do with it. And that shooters would have a level of qualifying as Expert (at division matches, and MC matches) before using it.

Thanks for the info and the additions.

Mike Davis
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/13/2016, 10:27 pm

I'll be fleshing out the advertisement and also making additions and modifications as I get feedback. Consider this roll-out an armed recon mission. Some of the biggest changes are my expanding on the ideas which the "Old Guard" have been touting from the start. 
I also added my own "classifications" and expanded the scores needed to "Pass" a certain "level" both up and down, so that it would appeal to much newer shooters who are completely unfamiliar with any of this and are still struggling to "get em all on the reface at 25 yards" for instance.  
If you've already gotten through the original on your own (I commend you!  Smile ) Then you'll probably only benefit from the convenience of just getting one ready made package, like you would getting a new Data Book if you shoot Highpower Rifle. I try to break down the Marine Corps Jargon into paragraphs that flow better and don't seem as much like an outline format. 

But I'm definitely not reinventing the wheel...I'm just trying to keep these concepts alive and put them into a more digestible package so that they might appeal more to the X-Box generation...

I'll try to post a few pages soon, but it's getting late out here.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 12/14/2016, 1:03 am

Interesting, I am in the process of retyping the same manual to be easier for me to use. Think I will just buy this book instead.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 12/14/2016, 8:21 am

Might make an excellent Christmas gift for a young shooter
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/14/2016, 9:54 am

I sure hope this is a great tool for new shooters! This is part of my long term plan to help attract the younger crowd to our sport! I'm trying to create a package which forms the foundation for a long term training plan in an all in one solution (Training Guide and Targets as well). 
The pattern of - Blank Face--->Training Targets--->Scoring Rings - can be used to practice over and over, year after year. You'll naturally find where your strengths lie as some portions seem easier (and you'll progress faster) than others, so you're constantly training your weaknesses while maintaining your strengths.
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/15/2016, 11:21 pm

Well I've been able to add some sample pages to the listing at my website, but because of the shopping cart software, they display a little small for my liking. I've tried resizing them and uploading a larger image, but this seems to be a limitation of the website itself. I'll try another method just for the sake of being thorough...
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 12/16/2016, 2:18 pm

Sounds interesting. Ive been going at it alone, and have read through the marine manual a few times, but still a little foggy on a lot...  It might be the kick I need.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 12/18/2016, 6:30 pm

In with some targets since you gave me some 155gr Magnus at CMP Talladega for winning my classification earlier this year. The Marine manual is probably great with an experienced coach nearby but a more detailed manual might be what folks outside that environment could use.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 12/18/2016, 7:38 pm

I'll give it a spin. Ordered.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/18/2016, 10:59 pm

"This book is a derivative of The Marine Corps Pistol Team Workbook"

I guessed it.  Based on the evidence available at the time.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/20/2016, 3:55 pm

Absolutely true Jack! But this was written and in use before Zins got to the team, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that Moody had a hand in writing it, but I can't verify. I'll actually ask Brian to see how long its been around, but MSgt Chives taught us these techniques while on the Parris Island team in 1993 which was where I was first exposed to them. I didn't learn about the workbook until after I'd left the Corps (I was never on the big team). I used it as an outline and explained a bit more of the actual mechanics than what is in the workbook itself, since the guys who wrote it the first time had the benefit of full time coaches to explain it all. I hope it has clarified the concepts and learning process for those who didn't grasp it from the Pistol Team Workbook. It's unlikely that Franks, Henderson or Hemphill will get anything out of it, but for those who are in the Marksman-Expert range, it should be right on the money. And for the Masters and above that still follow the concepts, it's more convenient than just printing it out yourself.
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/20/2016, 4:03 pm

On another note, I just closed the store for the Christmas holiday but will be back open on or about the 28th of December. Merry Christmas ya'll!
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/20/2016, 4:58 pm

Just talked to Brian who said that it was written by Andy Moody and Capt Steve Belke in the late 80's. "Knowing is half the battle." - G. I. Joe
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 12/26/2016, 10:24 am

I let my sons give me the book and some targets for Christmas. I like the extra material in the book. Laying it side-by-side with the USMC 22 section showed the additional material very well and the explanations help in understanding the intent of the exercises and goals.

I'm really looking forward to knocking out the 22 section with my red dotted Nelson conversion. I'm playing with the idea of trying the CF section with a S&W M64 that has a nice action.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 12/28/2016, 11:06 pm

I hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday! My family and I sure did, but we're back now so I've got the store back online. Here's to a great new year!
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 1/3/2017, 1:50 am

I ordered the book, and have a new pistol coming in. Going to use the book to break in the pistol and get it spun up for matches.
Thanks.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r 1/5/2017, 7:52 am

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you guys know that with the help of a member who helped me identify it, I have fixed a glitch in my software that was preventing the option to ship "by weight" when trying to purchase the book and training targets at the same time. The glitch had you paying the full Priority Mail rate instead of my custom settings which take advantage of the flat rate boxes. So if you purchase one each of the book, a pack of small training targets and large training targets, your shipping should only be $10, vice the $21+ that it was showing earlier.
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down