Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIGHTING DATA BOOK

+5
Aprilian
dronning
Wobbley
Chris Miceli
RustyJoints
9 posters

Go down

SIGHTING DATA BOOK Empty SIGHTING DATA BOOK

Post by RustyJoints 12/22/2016, 10:13 am

I don't know about you guys but I have a hard time remembering all the sight/adjustment settings for all my different gun/scope/load combinations.
I came up with this sheet which I print on card stock and fill in the appropriate information for each one I am currently using.
I stack them up with the one I am shooting at that moment on the top and put a piece of clear plastic on top and hold the cards together with a clip.
a quick glance will tell me the particulars of the gun I am shooting and adjustments can be made accordingly. The chart shows distances from center to rings for 25 & 50  yard slow fire and 25 yard timed & rapid.
I use the blank space on the left to keep notes like what pound spring I currently have in.
Anyone else use something like this or have a better system?
If you want to use this PM me and I will send you a pdf you can print.
SIGHTING DATA BOOK Sight_10

Last edited by RustyJoints on 12/22/2016, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

SIGHTING DATA BOOK Empty Re: SIGHTING DATA BOOK

Post by Chris Miceli 12/22/2016, 10:17 am

cool,  i like to fumble around and debate what i last did with my sights on the line...

Where did you get your 1185 swc ?

=]

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints 12/22/2016, 10:19 am

Sloppy handwriting, that is a /
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/22/2016, 10:33 am

A couple of observations.

I'd put the distance to center in the nearest click value for the sight.  No need to do math in the middle of a match.

This generally works best when you load in large batches.  I learned this shooting service rifle.  In order to have consistent zeros you have to have ammunition that doesn't vary.  For rifle I loaded in 1000 round batches.  With the higher ammo consumption in pistol that would mean loading in 5000 round batches.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 12/22/2016, 10:46 am

RustyJoints wrote:Sloppy handwriting, that is a /
lol!  yes a 0.17 lb bullet would be a wrist breaker for sure!

Nice form!, could you send me the PDF

- Dave

Last edited by dronning on 12/22/2016, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added form request)
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints 12/22/2016, 10:50 am

I can do the math ok, just have trouble remembering all the variables.
Not sure I shoot well enough to see differences in batches.
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 12/22/2016, 11:27 am

Nice form

What is t/r?   It must be something slightly less than 50yds.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints 12/22/2016, 11:31 am

T/R = Timed/Rapid
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 12/22/2016, 12:23 pm

Sorry as a new shooter, I am not following.   25 and 50 yd numbers are as measured on the appropriate NRA targets.

Timed and Rapid are fired at 25 yds, so why are the measurements for T/R different from those for 25 yds?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints 12/22/2016, 12:33 pm

The chart shows distances from center to rings for 25 & 50  yard slow fire and 25 yard timed & rapid
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil H 12/29/2016, 3:12 pm

I use something similar, however mine is not as detailed. All of the other information that you record I record in my score book.  This is what I keep in my gun box, it is just the sight correction to change the sights at the different ranges. This is setup up for the amount of clicks from the edge of the scoring ring to get you to the center of the target. I use an aimpoint on my 22 and a ultradot on my 45. Yes, I kept it at the tenth of a click just so I can judge better the amount of adjustment I might need. If I just rounded it to the whole click I could be a 1/2 click off.  I laminate the card so its waterproof and keep it in the gun box. I also did one for 50 ft as we shoot indoors during the winter. I have them for my air pistols and other target pistols as well.

Neil

SIGHTING DATA BOOK Img_4010

Neil H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 12/29/2016, 4:45 pm

I guess maybe I'm lazy or something. I have found that a simple "shoe tag" does everything that I need. When I grab a pistol out of the safe there should be a tag on it with 3 pieces of info. Ammo used, distance it was sighted for and correction between 50 and 25 yds. I try to have the pistol put away with a 50 yd zero. If the tag is not on it I know I have not changed sights back to 50yds. System has worked a long time. Hmmm, no tag on the wheel gun better check that out. Smile
SIGHTING DATA BOOK Dscf0918
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil H 12/29/2016, 5:57 pm

I' with you  Len,
I have my sights marked for the 50yd zero with a dap of nail polish.(I can always remove it and add more if I change something) I tried other methods but I either forgot to write it down of log it.  That was when I was younger and didn't forget things as easy. Heaven knows what I'd do with trying to remember to put a tag on it. I just look at the sights when I'm doing my 3 minute prep and also when I change back and forth between long and short line. I just use the sight chart if I have to make an adjustment, I don't have to guess how much it takes.

Neil H

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 12/29/2016, 9:22 pm

for irons I simply use two different color paints.. one for 50 and one for 25.

done it that way forever
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 1/14/2017, 5:51 pm

Inspired by the posts in this thread (and the fact that the next match I'm shooting will be at 50ft), I made an excel spreadsheet for this.  It has boxes for the gun and load, etc.  But one of the benefits of doing it in excel is that there is a box (green background) where you can enter the number of MOA per click, and it will calculate how much a single click will move the POI at various distances, and it will also calculate how many clicks to go from the edge of the ring to the center of the target, for various targets.  You can print it as-is and fill it in at the range, or fill in the info on the spreadsheet and print it that way.

It uses 1.0 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047 inches, so the numbers are a little different than what you see on Neil's sheet, but it's the same calculation.  

I've attached (or at least tried to attach) a screenshot of it.  In the screenshot, it has 1.0 MOA per click.  If you're interested in the excel spreadsheet, PM me and I'll email it to you.

Let me know if you see obvious areas for improvement.

Dave

SIGHTING DATA BOOK Sight_10

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down