Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New idea for scope height and rotator cuff

5 posters

Go down

New idea for scope height and rotator cuff Empty New idea for scope height and rotator cuff

Post by Jack H 1/13/2017, 3:52 am

What you think?  Ever tried this?

I have a reason.  Ever since shoulder repair, the stability of my pistol has been poor. 
Raising the dot with these Leupold rings lowers my arm at the shoulder just enough to not cramp up the rotator cuff area so much. 
I have felt the need to force my arm just that little bit higher that low rings require.  Not so with these so far. I think it might help. 
Not sure how sights will change 25 to 50, but at 50 feet that's not an issue. 
That lower arm angle makes a difference with the Ruger grip angle as well. 

New idea for scope height and rotator cuff P1000935_zpsqvu1yghv

New idea for scope height and rotator cuff P1000934_zpsm0pgrvfi

BTW the AA unit has a real Bob Marvel barrel.  It's on a RO lower with a KC Ax hammer set
And the Ruger was fixed up by Roddy.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

New idea for scope height and rotator cuff Empty Re: New idea for scope height and rotator cuff

Post by Wobbley 1/13/2017, 7:27 am

In rifles, a high line of sight has the effect of flattening the trajectory.  Because of the relatively short distances in pistols it probably won't have much effect though.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

New idea for scope height and rotator cuff Empty Re: New idea for scope height and rotator cuff

Post by james r chapman 1/13/2017, 8:10 am

In trap, it's also common for an extra high sight rib to be used.

I'd only be concerned with a canting affect.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 1/13/2017, 9:31 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/19/60/02/57/chingu10.jpg

There used to be a class of rifle called a "chin gun" that used tall mounted scopes as seen in this photo.  It was very effective and ruled illegal for competition.  The only problem the users found was running out of adjustment range on the scope, I don't think at pistol ranges that will be an issue.

Best of luck! let us know if it works.  I have a shoulder injury, I might be copying you.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/17/2017, 10:05 am

The only downside would be that any side-to-side rolling wobble will be exaggerated in the sight picture. I too have some trouble in my shoulder that is exacerbated if the targets are high, relative to the shooting point. So far it hasn't been enough of a problem, but I'm going to file this away in case it gets worse or I start shooting at a range with high targets. Thanks.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down