Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 .22 dedicated lower option

+10
Warhorse
Dr.Don
JKR
twl
Axehandle
Tim:H11
Chris Miceli
Pbmoser1954
Wobbley
SW-52
14 posters

Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by SW-52 1/13/2017, 9:59 am

hi,a friend have a rock island 1911 GI and i want to know this frame is a great option for a nelson custom .22. thanks!
SW-52
SW-52

Posts : 794
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Wobbley 1/13/2017, 10:04 am

Any decent 1911 frame is OK for a 22 conversion lower.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Posts : 4643
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Pbmoser1954 1/13/2017, 12:50 pm

I am using a Rock Island lower for my Nelson custom 22 conversion. I had the trigger redone because of Rock Island trigger won't cut it for bull's-eye shooting.
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-03-23
Age : 69
Location : Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by SW-52 1/13/2017, 6:21 pm

my friend have the pistol,and he will sell the pistol in $250.00( i need only the lower) i only need change the trigger for bullseye shooting.
SW-52
SW-52

Posts : 794
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Chris Miceli 1/13/2017, 6:33 pm

SW-52 wrote:my friend have the pistol,and he will sell the pistol in $250.00( i need only the lower) i only need change the trigger for bullseye shooting.
Sure if you like gi grip safety Smile

Chris Miceli

Posts : 2715
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Tim:H11 1/13/2017, 6:56 pm

SW-52 wrote:my friend have the pistol,and he will sell the pistol in $250.00( i need only the lower) i only need change the trigger for bullseye shooting.

Any chance you'd be willing to sell the upper?
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2015-11-04
Age : 36
Location : Midland, GA

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Axehandle 1/13/2017, 7:27 pm

Smile  You guys crack me up...   You want a top drawer 1911 based 22.  You buy the best conversion and then you start putting a gun together with a bottom drawer frame and internals.  Look at the cost of a Caspian frame with 20 LPI checkering, a beavertail cut, and a plunger tube.  Mine was $350.  Then pull out your Brownell's catalog and fill a frame with top drawer parts.  I just went though this process and literally ordered $450 in parts.  Yes, you can spend 50% of that with cheap parts and buy a complete 1911 for much less.  You will then have a cheap gun.  Not inexpensive..  Cheap...

Axehandle

Posts : 878
Join date : 2013-09-17
Location : Alabama

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by twl 1/13/2017, 7:41 pm

Love the idea starting with Caspian frame and top grade components.  Can you please share the complete list of parts you ordered so I can do the same?  Did you have to do any gunsmitthing/fitting of the components inside the Caspian frame.  Thanks in advance.
twl
twl

Posts : 38
Join date : 2017-01-03

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Tim:H11 1/13/2017, 7:41 pm

Axehandle wrote:Smile  You guys crack me up...   You want a top drawer 1911 based 22.  You buy the best conversion and then you start putting a gun together with a bottom drawer frame and internals.  Look at the cost of a Caspian frame with 20 LPI checkering, a beavertail cut, and a plunger tube.  Mine was $350.  Then pull out your Brownell's catalog and fill a frame with top drawer parts.  I just went though this process and literally ordered $450 in parts.  Yes, you can spend 50% of that with cheap parts and buy a complete 1911 for much less.  You will then have a cheap gun.  Not inexpensive..  Cheap...

I think for someone that could be on a tight budget and can afford the Rock Island frame, the only thing else I'd recommend would be a good sear, disconnector, hammer and sear spring and depending on what's in he gun maybe a better trigger. Of course you'll need the right hammer spring for the conversion but I think you could be able to get a decent lower assembled for an affordable rate. Make it a do it your self project (if you know enough on how to do your own trigger) and not have the BEST pistol but have one that works and it's still accurate.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2015-11-04
Age : 36
Location : Midland, GA

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by SW-52 1/14/2017, 7:02 am

Axehandle wrote:Smile  You guys crack me up...   You want a top drawer 1911 based 22.  You buy the best conversion and then you start putting a gun together with a bottom drawer frame and internals.  Look at the cost of a Caspian frame with 20 LPI checkering, a beavertail cut, and a plunger tube.  Mine was $350.  Then pull out your Brownell's catalog and fill a frame with top drawer parts.  I just went though this process and literally ordered $450 in parts.  Yes, you can spend 50% of that with cheap parts and buy a complete 1911 for much less.  You will then have a cheap gun.  Not inexpensive..  Cheap...
what is the best caspian frame for a based .22 lower??? is neccesary fitting between the frame and the conversion unit??? thanks
SW-52
SW-52

Posts : 794
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by SW-52 1/14/2017, 7:13 am

twl wrote:Love the idea starting with Caspian frame and top grade components.  Can you please share the complete list of parts you ordered so I can do the same?  Did you have to do any gunsmitthing/fitting of the components inside the Caspian frame.  Thanks in advance.
+1
SW-52
SW-52

Posts : 794
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Axehandle 1/14/2017, 7:31 am

There is a smorgasbord of high quality parts at Brownell's.  Too many choices to make to provide any detailed list.    The trigger will have to he fitted in the frame.  It comes oversize. The thumb safety will need to be fitted too.  There will be fine fitting required of the beavertail.  I expect everything else to go together with minimal fine fitting.  A chunk of the expense is the matched Hammer/sear/disconnector set.   Unmatched parts are much cheaper.  Check out the price of a nice checkered mainspring housing and the beavertail of your choice....  My frame is carbon steel.  I will fine fit the parts make sure it works  and then disassemble the frame and send out to Accurate Plating for industrial chrome. 

When you look at the cost of the best parts the price that KC puts on one of these doesn't looks that bad...  He will guarantee his  work too!   Smile
http://kcskustomcreations.com/kcs-kustom-creations/

Axehandle

Posts : 878
Join date : 2013-09-17
Location : Alabama

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by JKR 1/14/2017, 8:15 am

I tend to agree with Axe. While at Perry last summer I bought a Foster frame from Caspian. It had a checkered front strap and integral plunger tube. It worked up into a beautiful lower. The cost was $170. I have probably $450 invested including Cerakote.

Jim

JKR

Posts : 763
Join date : 2015-01-13
Location : Northern Wisconsin

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Dr.Don 1/14/2017, 9:08 am

In answer to an earlier question, no, you do not fit the conversion unit to the frame rails.  They are a loose fit and the screw on the conversion holds everything tightly in place.  Since there is no issue of galling here, it is a good opportunity to use a stainless frame if you like the look.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Posts : 811
Join date : 2012-10-31
Location : Cedar Park, TX

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Warhorse 1/14/2017, 2:43 pm

I bought a Foster frame, built with fine parts from Frerking Custom Works, set up for my new Marvel Unit 1. It is a great fit, crisp 2# trigger, for ~$750. I could not be happier with it, although I did have to buy an EGW HD higher mag catch to reliably load the first round out of the mag onto the Marvel feed ramp. Surprising what a .020 will make.

Warhorse

Posts : 85
Join date : 2016-04-06
Age : 69
Location : MI

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by LenV 1/14/2017, 8:43 pm

I have a Nelson coming and have been giving some thought to a dedicated lower. I plan on using a RO lower that I have already begun working on the trigger trying to get it down to 2lbs. This talk about less expensive options got me thinking about REAL less expensive options. Did anyone ever consider a GSG 1911 as a lower?

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Pix307948338
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4705
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by mparker 1/19/2017, 9:40 am

I have my Nelson on a Remsport frame with a mix of STI and Wilson Combat components.

1911 .22 dedicated lower option 164811704

mparker

Posts : 64
Join date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Magload 1/19/2017, 11:28 am

My Nelson conversion has been on order now for a couple of weeks.  I would also like a dedicated frame for it but just don't want to have to fit parts or have to wait months to have it done.  Is there anywhere to just buy a complete BE grade lower?  Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Chris Miceli 1/19/2017, 11:40 am

Magload wrote:My Nelson conversion has been on order now for a couple of weeks.  I would also like a dedicated frame for it but just don't want to have to fit parts or have to wait months to have it done.  Is there anywhere to just buy a complete BE grade lower?  Don


used or steal the lower off another gun that has been worked over.

Chris Miceli

Posts : 2715
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by LenV 1/28/2017, 10:19 pm

Wobbley wrote:Any decent 1911 frame is OK for a 22 conversion lower.
I used Wobbleys quote to re-introduce this subject. I have a great lower that is pretty much a safe queen now. I don't plan on shooting IDPA again anytime soon (ever). Will the Nelson fit/look good on a Commander frame?

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Dscf0818
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4705
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Wobbley 1/29/2017, 12:24 am

I don't think they'll work on a Commander frame.  Though you might call your conversion builder and ask.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Posts : 4643
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by LenV 1/29/2017, 5:02 pm

Thought I would just ask the Man himself. Got an interesting answer. Hope Larry gets well soon.


Notice*
As some of you already know, Larry (the owner of Nelson Custom Guns) is also a member of the Phoenix Fire Department Technical Rescue Team, as well as a member of the AZ FEMA task force. Larry was dispatched to ground zero on 9/11 and to New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina.
A little while ago, Larry injured his back on a mountain rescue.  After fighting with the pain, the Doctors have decided that the best course of action is to perform surgery on his back. As a result, Larry will be out of commission for the foreseeable future.
During  this time Kevin will be managing the shop and manning the phones. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.  If Kevin misses your call, please leave a message or use the form below to send us an email and Kevin will respond as soon as possible.
Thanks for all the support!
Larry and Kevin Nelson
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4705
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by bob finger 1/29/2017, 7:06 pm

That is sort of "old news" as Larry is recovering and has been in the shop for several weeks now....unless there was a setback that I (we) don't know about.  Sure hope not.  In my mind Larry is one of our Hero's.  I've had telephone and e-mail conversations with Larry within the past few weeks.  

Oh and it is my understanding the Nelson conversion will work fine on a Commander lower.  Call Larry on Monday and ask him about it.  bob

LenV: I like the two tone look.  Your lower in my opinion would look spectacular hosting a Nelson top.

bob finger

Posts : 68
Join date : 2016-08-07

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Magload 1/29/2017, 7:17 pm

LenV wrote:Thought I would just ask the Man himself. Got an interesting answer. Hope Larry gets well soon.


Notice*
As some of you already know, Larry (the owner of Nelson Custom Guns) is also a member of the Phoenix Fire Department Technical Rescue Team, as well as a member of the AZ FEMA task force. Larry was dispatched to ground zero on 9/11 and to New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina.
A little while ago, Larry injured his back on a mountain rescue.  After fighting with the pain, the Doctors have decided that the best course of action is to perform surgery on his back. As a result, Larry will be out of commission for the foreseeable future.
During  this time Kevin will be managing the shop and manning the phones. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.  If Kevin misses your call, please leave a message or use the form below to send us an email and Kevin will respond as soon as possible.
Thanks for all the support!
Larry and Kevin Nelson
I emailed Larry about 4 weeks ago and asked him about his back operation and how he was doing as I eed the same thing done.  He said it went well and he was doing well.  Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

1911 .22 dedicated lower option Empty Re: 1911 .22 dedicated lower option

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum