Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attending my first match on Sunday

+4
DavidR
Al
Larry Lang
BryanGA
8 posters

Go down

Attending my first match on Sunday Empty Attending my first match on Sunday

Post by BryanGA 3/5/2012, 8:58 am

When I say attend I mean attend. I am not shooting. I want to take the opportunity to get a feel for what happens and see how people go about the business of shooting a match. I will use the time to meet fellow shooters and get comfortable. I am really looking forward to it.
The Match Is at South River Gun Club South of Atlanta. It is about an hour and a half according to Google. Of course it is almost all highway and on a Sunday. I don't think it will take me that long.
BryanGA
BryanGA

Back to top Go down

Attending my first match on Sunday Empty Re: Attending my first match on Sunday

Post by Larry Lang 3/5/2012, 9:52 am

I hope you have a good learning experience. Anything you need explaining post here.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by BryanGA 3/5/2012, 10:08 am

Thanks Larry.
BryanGA
BryanGA

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 3/5/2012, 10:20 am

Just a word of warning.

If you're there and it becomes known you aren't shooting be prepared to have guns and ammo offered from all corners. Watching just isn't the same as shooting. I would highly-HIGHLY recommend shooting the match. Just let the match director know you've never shot a match before and they'll take a bit more time to explain the process' that go on and probably put you beside a shooter who can explain things a bit more and give you a few hints to accelerate your spiral into becoming a card carrying member of the bullseye support group.

Ask a lot of questions? Just don't do it during the firing phases when the shooters are concentrating on their shots. The best part of this game is teaching someone new how to beat you, and then they do.

This discipline is extremely simple. This discipline is not easy to do well.

FWIW

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 3/5/2012, 1:16 pm

There should be a good crowd there, including me!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 3/5/2012, 2:43 pm

Bryan, if there is a spot left on the line, I strongly encourage you to take it and shoot. My first match, I was green as grass. Scoring the targets was not easy, but the officials and shooters on either side of me coached me along. I learned by doing. At a match when I didn't bring a pistol to shoot Distinguished Revolver, another shooter loaned me his very fine S&W and the ammo, say he already had his DR and now it was my turn.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 3/5/2012, 3:04 pm

Brian you should go ahead and shoot. I haven't shot at a lot of different clubs (about 8 or so) but I have not been to one yet that people don't welcome you with open arms. There is no secret hand shake in bullseye shooting so there really is nothing to be concerned about. As long as you show safe gun handling nobody is going to scold you for not doing something right. If you are concerned about when you can and can't handle your gun ask the range officer before the match and they will explain what is acceptable and when. The rest you will learn on the job. I don't think it would take very long watching before you were wishing you brought your toys to the sand box so you could play also. So have fun and let us know what you think, Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 3/5/2012, 4:50 pm

you can even shoot your 22 for all three stages if you want.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BryanGA 3/5/2012, 5:55 pm

Thanks everyone. I have shot High Power and smallbore matches so I have no trepidation as far as competition is concerned. I just want to get a feel for things, the pace the activity. There will be many ,many matches to shoot. I know that all the matches I have attended the shooters have been more than generous with their equipment and knowledge. Being able to stroll the line and observe veteran shooters, hear the range commands, get a feeling for the rhythm of the match as well as that of each stage. Will do me good stead later I am sure.
BryanGA
BryanGA

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 3/5/2012, 11:10 pm

I remember my first match very well. It was the Wisconsin Indoor Championships! I was clueless and did not get a chance to talk to anyone about the ins and outs or even proper scoring, had never seen turning targets, I had a blast! The people to each side of me were very helpful with efficient scoring tactics. I don't recall the score I shot but it was enough to have won high Sharpshooter if I was not shooting as an unclassified Master.

Bryan, if you can just go shoot it! Have a blast!
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/5/2012, 11:31 pm

I agree! The sooner you shoot in a sanctioned match, the sooner you can get your classification!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down