Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slabs vs Target grips

+2
dronning
mspingeld
6 posters

Go down

Slabs vs Target grips Empty Slabs vs Target grips

Post by mspingeld Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:02 am

So, I've been shooting for a few years, currently mid-expert level. Both my 22 and 45 have Dick Horton custom grips. They allow me to grip the gun exactly the same each time and when I raise the gun, the dot is right there in the middle. It seems many of the high masters use target grips on their 22 and slabs on the 45. Wondering why?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Slabs vs Target grips Empty Re: Slabs vs Target grips

Post by dronning Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:51 am

While I could get a very consistent grip my recoil recovery was not as good, and my wrist had to turn slightly verses a slab side, which over time I believe would have caused me problems.  I also have tried an arched mainspring housing it was way more comfortable than a flat one but I shoot the flat one better.  That's what works for me.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:30 am

I shot slabs forever because of the Service Pistol requirement of the military teams and the urgency to win that Distinguished badge.   Tried the target grips and never like them.  FWIW if you have target grips that make you turn your wrist in the slightest it is time to get out the rasp and modify the shape.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 am

Axehandle wrote:FWIW if you have target grips that make you turn your wrist in the slightest it is time to get out the rasp and modify the shape.

But then I end up with very expensive slabs!!  LOL

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 am

Laughing  When you see the hot dog shooters with the target grips take note of the plastic wood/wood putty and all other sort of stuff all over them to modify the shape.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:12 am

I really like the looks and feel of my VQ target grips on my Victory They are far to slippery.  I am starting to use skateboard tape on all my guns.  Now much for looks but it sure improves to grip.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 am

Axehandle wrote:Laughing  When you see the hot dog shooters with the target grips take note of the plastic wood/wood putty and all other sort of stuff all over them to modify the shape.

Very true my air pistols all look like an apprentice body man worked on them.  1st I had a large grip I trimmed, went too far added putty back in.  Still not right then I went with a medium grip and built it up, nope.  A little frustrated I ordered a Rink, it was very close but not quite there and I couldn't bring myself to modify it (too purdy) so I sold it.  I now knew what needed to be done and went back to my original large and tweaked it some more, finally fits and shoots well.  

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:05 pm

In my shooting 22 works with target grips but add recoil and slabs work better.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:41 pm

the benefit of slabs is more grip. i change the original high standard grips with thumb rest for a slab high standards grips,feel better than others.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:53 pm

FWIW if you are gripping with the tips of your fingers and the palms of your hands shooting slabs we have another issue...   Smile  Dang armorers always wanted to put new grips on my hardball gun...  Always told them it was a waste.  If I gripped the gun properly the grips looseness or tightness was moot.  Now with those hotdawg target grips with palm shelves, thumb shelves, and finger grooves... all that changes..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down