Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornady LnL AP press reviews

+18
lyman1903
zanemoseley
valbern67
Rob9mmshooter
Jwhelan939
blindshooter
SSgtG
rich.tullo
sixftunda
DeweyHales
LenV
messenger
james r chapman
C.Perkins
mspingeld
Wobbley
Jack H
trapshooter72
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hornady LnL AP press reviews - Page 2 Empty Hornady LnL AP press reviews

Post by trapshooter72 3/4/2017, 6:53 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm considering a Hornady LnL AP and wanted to know what owners of this press think of it. It seams like a pretty good value in a entry level progressive.

trapshooter72

Back to top Go down

Hornady LnL AP press reviews - Page 2 Empty Re: Hornady LnL AP press reviews

Post by JayhawkNavy02 11/12/2018, 11:16 pm

sixftunda wrote:I have used all three and now have two Dillon 550's.  The main reason is I prefer manual indexing.  It gives me more control over the process without adding a lot of extra work, just a flip of my thumb. I could never get a Hornady LNL to work and sold mine.

My neighbor has had his for 2 years and it still doesn't work right either.  Case feeder isn't as good and it won't prime correctly.  Otherwise, mechanically, brilliant design and lots of other folks have had them with success.  I wouldn’t worry about buying one.  If you don’t plan on a case feeder I like the design better.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 11/13/2018, 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 11/13/2018, 7:07 am

All these machines have their quirks. I started out with a single stage LNL. I didn't know a thing about reloading. I did know that Hornady made very good comercial ammo. I also liked the idea of the quick change die bushings. After having to spend several evenings a week to load for the weekend shooting I made the jump to a progressive. Since I had started with Hornady and they were less than $400 I went with them. I had great luck right out of the box. Eventually got a case feeder. After a few bad words and some tinkering things smoothed out. Anything mechanical you will need a mechanical inclination. I called Hornady a few times and watched a bunch of YouTube videos for the fixes. There are plenty for Dillon too. I have learned the quirks. I now have two progressives, both with case feeders. One with large primer and one with small primer. I have found the powder throw to be very accurate. All in all I am satisfied.

Bill
Attachments
Hornady LnL AP press reviews - Page 2 Attachment
IMG_1215.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(122 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by dev6682 11/13/2018, 10:03 am

I have the Hornady LNL AP and the Hornady LNL Classic. I love them both. There's certainly a learning curve to get them running smoothly. The case feeder and priming system work well for me, though they do need to be adjusted periodically. I have the bullet feeder die and tubes which work pretty well too, even with lead. All said and done, I've probably spent close to what a Dillon would have cost by the time you add in all the bells and whistles. If I had to do it all again, I'd probably go Dillon. But as it is, I'm invested in Hornady. In fact, I'm looking for a second LNL AP so I can have one with small primer and one with large. Switching over is somewhat of a pain. I'd like to have one set up for 45 and one set up for 38 since that's what I shoot the most.

dev6682

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 11/13/2018, 12:38 pm

Natchez currently has them on sale for $379.99 w/500 bullets.  

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxvzLhZWgGqcSJxWGnsvsZkFKlCN

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by dev6682 11/13/2018, 6:03 pm

I think that's about what I paid for my LNL AP from Midsouth. It's a good price, and I love the free bullets from Hornady (well, you pay shipping and it's bullets I wouldn't usually buy). However, I've been holding out for a used one. These things are tanks, and Hornady takes care of its customers. Plus, my wife will probably notice the third press on my bench. Smile

dev6682

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 11/14/2018, 4:54 pm

dev6682 wrote:I think that's about what I paid for my LNL AP from Midsouth. It's a good price, and I love the free bullets from Hornady (well, you pay shipping and it's bullets I wouldn't usually buy). However, I've been holding out for a used one. These things are tanks, and Hornady takes care of its customers. Plus, my wife will probably notice the third press on my bench. Smile

I was intrigued by Hornady's offer of free bullets with a press and other accessories. Are their bullets OK for Bullseye? Or maybe just for practice?

V
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 11/14/2018, 5:07 pm

You pick from a list of different calibers. None that would be competitive in bullseye. I think I got jacketed semi wadcutters in 45. I can't remember what 9mm they offered.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 1/9/2019, 12:16 pm

I used a 550b for five years, then a LNL for the most recent two years.  The Dillon has better leverage in seating primers.  The Hornady is slightly weaker but less finiky.   Hornady has quicker and easier primer change over.  Dillon throws more precise charges.  Caliber changeover advantage to Dillon (if you have complete tool heads fully populated).  Indexing is different but not notably better in one or the other (So why did I mention it?).  Can not comment on accessories; I don't use case or bullet feeding.
Really nothing in the above was really significant to me.   You will learn strengths and weaknesses and things to keep an eye on, with either and get good ammunition with either.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/10/2019, 8:30 pm

I'm not sure how you could have much more primer seating leverage than the LNL, I've been using a LNL 3 years and its so smooth I still occasionally take a case out to make sure it actually seated a primer. The priming system is also extremely reliable. IMO any more leverage and you'd lose all feel.

One HUGE advantage of the LNL is the quick change powder stems and LNL bushings. I have 4 powder stems all setup for WST powder so I can use multiple drops and change in seconds, no spilled powder, no adjustment or disassembly. I also have 2 seating dies that I interchange for different profiles also swapped in seconds, no settings, no screwing out dies.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO 1/17/2019, 5:45 pm

I have three Dillons, and one LNL. The Dillon is smoother in my opinion. They both work just fine. Its mentioned above that changing dies is easier with the Dillion, but that depends....

The LNL bushings are easier for changing same caliber parameters. As for example: the LNL is set up for small primer, mostly running .38 special. I load HBWCs for CF, I like a taper crimp for the M52 and roll crimp for the revolver.  A real easy change out. Then, for CMP revolver, I can pull the flat seater die, and put in one with a seater plug set for the RN, and higher. With the Dillon, it would take a little longer, and some adjusting. 

Its real nice to have two progressives, one for large and one for small primers. The LNL is easier to change primer assembly. My 550B stays large primer. 

I don't have case or bullet feeders on any. Both companies are great for support, and parts when they break. 

I personally like the Dillons better, but am happy with both.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob9mmshooter 2/9/2019, 4:20 am

I started with a Dillon Square deal and loaded a lot of ammo with it pretty good press but I wanted a case feeder.  A friend talked me into the LNL and I have loaded a lot of ammo with that.  I have experienced all the issues with the case feeder, cases bounce off feedbar when the fall cured by putting nylon tube liner in bottom of drop tube also has problems with cases not hitting top of drop tube square and causing a jamb, solved by taping a piece of cardboard under drop gate to change timing of case drop, they put the adjustable drop gate on the wrong side in my opinion. The primer setup but didn't work at all when I got it but critical alignment of the tube with the primer shuttle bar has solved that but still have occasional issue with the primer not dropping into shuttle bar.  Did have to put weight, one 45 case on top of primer feed rod to get reasonably consistent primer drop in in tube.  When the press runs well it is great but something will stop working at some point and them you need to clean, adjust, talk nice, and it will work again.  I now also have a Dillos Super 1050 purchased after the last time the LNL really aggravated me.  This is a absolutely great press and I wish that I had bit the bullet and bought it first.  Very little goes wrong running this press. However it is a bit of a exercise to change primer sizes so if you want to use both small and large primers with one press it is not for you.  The LNL is the easiest of the presses that I have had to change primer size although the Dillon Square deal was almost as good.  I currently only load large primer/45 on the 1050.  I have the LNL set up for 32.  If I get back to shooting 9mm I will buy another 1050 for small primer.  The lack of problems and overall quality of the 1050 just makes it worth it.  Did I mention the 1050 primes on the down stroke, no issue with high primers although the LNL will not make high primers either due to shell plate design a high primer will lock up the press I guess I forgot to mention that.

Rob9mmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2