Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACME coated bullets won't group

+6
GrumpyOldMan
noylj
RustyJoints
weber1b
Magload
javaduke
10 posters

Go down

ACME coated bullets won't group Empty ACME coated bullets won't group

Post by javaduke Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm

I bought a sample pack of 100 of coated ACME 200gr SWC, loaded my usual recipe, 3.7gr BE, tried it today on 50 yards target, and it was all over the target. For comparison, I shot another target with my usual load, 3.7gr BE behind 200gr SWC Penn bullets, and they were all on call. I also noticed the coated bullets felt snappier compared to the Penn bullets load, which was very soft.
I repeated the same test on the short line, the results were a bit better, but the Penn bullets still were more accurate. 
I'm wondering what could be the reason for that. How come same bullet weights with the same amount of powder and same crimp shoot so differently? And does anyone have any good experience with coated bullets and can recommend any accurate one?

javaduke

https://bullseyepistolblog.net/

Back to top Go down

ACME coated bullets won't group Empty Re: ACME coated bullets won't group

Post by Magload Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 pm

I have found the same thing with the  coated bnullets that I been using indoors for two years.  At 20yds they would make one ragged hole with 5 shots and 50yds they were all over the target with a Ransom rest.  The plated bullets were almost as bad.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm

I shoot coated bullets and find them to be the equal of the non-coated I was using. As they are "slipperier", perhaps a different load would change the results?

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:07 pm

weber1b wrote:I shoot coated bullets and find them to be the equal of the non-coated I was using. As they are "slipperier", perhaps a different load would change the results?
Or a different brand with a different bullet shape.  I liked the coated I have used just had shot them all indoors only out to 20yds.  I really like the X Treme plated bullets I use them in all calibers and bullet styles.  But on the long line them won't match a Zero JHP. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:50 pm

I also have moved to the JHP's for the long line. It's not that I couldn't do well enough with the coated lead, but the JHP's are just too good at 50 yards in comparison.

I tried the ACME myself in 200 SWC. One thing I did not like about them is they did not cut clean holes like I expected out of that bullet. They tore like ball rounds.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 am

Did you compare bullet diameters as this would create different crimp pressures and interactions with your barrel?
Some of the guys on the "cast boolits forum" resize after coating.
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 am

I find that Zero 200gn swaged L-SWC and Precision Bullets 200gn swaged and coated L-SWC are both accurate, but the Zero "always" seems to have the edge for accuracy—not by much. Others push Magnus, but they cost more.
Then, you may be shooting a coated bullet that was designed for the needs of action pistol shooters and not Bullseye competition. I can cast very accurate bullets, but I can not get accurate cast bullets from just any vendor.
So, if you want to, try some swaged bullets or swaged and coated bullets and see how they compare.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 am

I lost interest in the coating technologies for two reasons:

1. The DIY approach required way to much handling of individual boolits compared to cast and lube/size; and

2. When I could get the "good groups!" people over at castboolits to put inches on their group sizes at ranges beyond 25 yards, there were way too many reports of groups no tighter than the 10-ring, and the vast majority around double the size of our 10.

So when I need only A-Zone accuracy I can cast up a batch, size & lube 'em, and spend less time and money than I would with any DIY coating. And if I'm gonna buy coated bullets, the price difference to get Dardas or Zeros is worth every penny for the increased accuracy/precision.

I posted a few years ago that the jury was still out on coated bullets. Not so any more AFAIAC. Go ahead and try them and maybe you will be among the lucky few who can get a 2- or 2-1/2 inch group at 50 yards. And please tell us if you get results worthy of the long line. Please. I'm willing to change my opinion based on enough evidence.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 pm

OK, so then I guess the question is, can anyone recommend an accurate *coated* 200gr SWC bullet which works well on the long line? I've heard that Penn bullets offer a coated version, but found no mention of it on their web site.

javaduke

https://bullseyepistolblog.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm

javaduke wrote:OK, so then I guess the question is, can anyone recommend an accurate *coated* 200gr SWC bullet which works well on the long line? I've heard that Penn bullets offer a coated version, but found no mention of it on their web site.
This is the only "coated" SWC bullet that I know that works well on the long line. If your range has some kind of restriction on lead and the bullet has to be covered these work great. I use a lot of these both in 185gr and 200 gr. Ok, not exactly powder coated but they are coated.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165445527/hornady-bullets-45-caliber-451-diameter-200-grain-full-metal-jacket-combat-target
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Len, they are great bullets.  But they've been "temporarily unavailable" for several years....
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm

How about the Speer 185 Len?

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by gweber Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Len, the hornady 200gr swc plated/jacketed bullet has been discontinued.

gweber

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Ok, I guess I still have a bunch of them. I recently bought a bunch of the Speer 185's when Midway had them on a  super sale. They work better IMO then Hornady but usually run more money. I will now change my recommendation to the Speer bullet. Very Happy

Len
They have Speer in 200gr also. (In stock)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/538777/speer-bullets-45-caliber-451-diameter-200-grain-total-metal-jacket-semi-wadcutter-match-box-of-100

Speer 185's
ACME coated bullets won't group Dscf1023
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down