Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet another SCATT alternative - LASR Software with a laser trainer

Go down

Yet another SCATT alternative - LASR Software with a laser trainer Empty Yet another SCATT alternative - LASR Software with a laser trainer

Post by Oleg G 3/23/2017, 7:53 pm

For the past couple of months I have been using a combination of a SIRT pistol, Laser Ammo Surestrike Premium Plus kit and the LASR software. I bought a SIRT 107 pistol - it is a copy of a S&W M&P pistol - and mounter a cheap Red Dot sight.

The idea is to use this setup in dry-fire training: The Surestrike cartridge is inserted into the barrel of your gun and the SIRT can be used to practice sustained fire, since it has a resetting trigger. The LASR software allows multiple training modes and you can set up a number of exercises. LASR also has a mode they call diagnostic, which resembles SCATT. See pictures below. When you work without diagnostic mode on, you see your shots on the computer screen and wturning on diagnostic allows you to see your trigger work.

This is the main screen of the software:

Yet another SCATT alternative - LASR Software with a laser trainer 14691418_396041947433161_5435922119409208827_o

The right panel shows your shot(s) and basic info like score and time. The left panel shows the shot placement and - with diagnostic mode on - the movement of the gun during the trigger pull.

Here's a close-up of a single shot:

Yet another SCATT alternative - LASR Software with a laser trainer 17436056_396041954099827_2496323835727605848_o

And heres' a group of five shots. You can highlight individual shots in the right panel and see that shot highlighted in yellow.

Yet another SCATT alternative - LASR Software with a laser trainer 17434913_396041964099826_4468384760679659584_o

I found this training to be very helpful and it is reflecting in my scores. The LASR software is great. The training devices have their shortcomings:

SIRT 107 - it is an approximation of an 1911 at best. The trigger can be adjusted for the weight of pre-travel and the weight of pull but it still has a large amount of creep. The feel of the gun is nowhere close to a 1911. However, it does have a resetting trigger, and you can do repeating shots.

Laser Ammo cartridge - it is very good but getting it aligned with the barrel is a pain.Every time you put it in for a training session, you need to fiddle with it to get it to hit where you aim. I gave up on finding the true point of aim - what I do is determine exactly where the shots hit at the start of the training session and then move the computer target on the screen into that area. So, I aim at the real target on the wall and the shot hits into 7 at 10 o'clock. So, I move the center of the computer target to that spot and then I can score my shots correctly.

If people find this interesting or useful, please ask questions and I'll be happy to provide more details.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down