Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion

+12
New2BE
STEVE SAMELAK
KenO
Jon Eulette
C.Perkins
rich.tullo
Magload
djw1cav
kc.crawford.7
Keyholed
Chris Miceli
joy2shoot
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion - Page 2 Empty Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion

Post by joy2shoot 4/2/2017, 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but a search did not find anything.

Has anyone tried metal magazines with their Nelson and if so, do you prefer them over the 'plastic' magazines that come with the Nelson?  Also, do they still allow the slide to be locked back after the last round?  Thank you.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion

Post by Magload 4/4/2017, 7:53 pm

Solved the problem of not being able to stick the plastic mags to my magnet bar.  I had a mag holder for 3 1911 mags and glued a magnet to the back of it.  Adjusted the tention to where they won't fall out when upside down when the door is closed.  That took care of 4 mags with one in the gun.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: Metal magazines for Nelson Conversion

Post by New2BE 4/24/2017, 10:27 am

I switched to from Nelson mags to GSG mags. For some reason, I couldn't reliably get the five mags to lock the slide back. Tried different ammo, springs, buffer-no buffer, mag releases, mag release internals and three different frames. Finally tried a GSG mg and it worked perfect. Bought three more and they are 100 % too. Accuracy is very good with both types of mags. More testing to follow.

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/24/2017, 1:50 pm

Nelson and Advantage Arms magazines and well tweaked Metalform/Colt mags are the only ones I can trust in either conversion setups I have.  Some problems exist in the mag to lower combination for latching, but that has nothing to do with the upper.  And sometimes the slide stop piece is an issue with the mating of the follower and the tab of the stop piece.  Sig/GSG magazines have mag/frame issues, and stop/folloers  issues.  They do not faithfully catch in either lower.  Nor do they raise the stop.

My conversions are a Nelson on a Baer frame built by Roddy.  And a Advantage Arms on a Range Officer lower.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 4/24/2017, 3:24 pm

Thanks all.  I have decided to stick with the Nelson mags.  I have returned the one that was giving me issues to Larry.  Its replacement is in the mail.  I also solved my issue with the mag not being able to be used on the magnetic bar by using yard tool clips.  Specifics about that are here.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t7467-nelson-magazine-holder

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 4/24/2017, 3:30 pm

Steel?  Alloy? Doesn't matter to me.  KC recommends the GSG magazines.  Based on that I bought four GSGs for my two Nelson conversions.  They haven't missed a beat yet...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/24/2017, 7:27 pm

Axehandle wrote:Steel?  Alloy? Doesn't matter to me.  KC recommends the GSG magazines.  Based on that I bought four GSGs for my two Nelson conversions.  They haven't missed a beat yet...

Odd.  I have 4 GSG mags left over from a steel Marvel lockback (now gone).  One is actually a Sig where the follower is a little different.  Not one of them latches into my Baer frame or RO frame correctly.  Also not one of them lifts the stop piece correctly.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/24/2017, 7:44 pm

My I ask what is wrong with the plastic mags.  I hope nothing as I bought 4 more giving me 6.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 4/24/2017, 8:09 pm

Mine worked fine in my Nelson conversions....  I run KC built 1911s.  I pay attention to what he says.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/24/2017, 8:12 pm

nothing wrong with the plastic mags.. they typically function perfectly

I have used the SIG mags in my nelson without issue  and lock the slide back... I like the extra weight on occasion.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/24/2017, 8:22 pm

jglenn21 wrote:nothing wrong with the plastic mags.. they typically function perfectly

I have used the SIG mags in my nelson without issue  and lock the slide back... I like the extra weight on occasion.
Hadn't thought of the weight factor.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by New2BE 4/24/2017, 8:37 pm

Either way, Nelson has simply the best customer service. Regardless of what questions, issues or suggestions you may have, you'll receive prompt, professional service directly from Larry Nelson himself.  I am really impressed with his products and recommend him whole-heartedly.  Way to go Larry!

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 4/25/2017, 7:06 am

Axehandle wrote:Steel?  Alloy? Doesn't matter to me.  KC recommends the GSG magazines.  Based on that I bought four GSGs for my two Nelson conversions.  They haven't missed a beat yet...
While that statement is true, if you're shooting a Nelson I strongly recommend using the magazines they manufacturer.  GSG's are great for Marvels, Karts or Dworaks, but your best bet would be stay with the Nelson mags with the Nelson conversion.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 4/29/2017, 1:24 am

I have three of the metal GSg mags (I think) that came with my marvel conversion. I just mounted my new Nelson conversion on my Colt and I'm having some issues with the Nelson magazines not catching. Jon will fix this for me, so not really an issue, but in the meantime I am using the metal GSG mags with the Nelson top, and they all works fine, and lockmback after the 10th rd (which it doesn't do with the marvel conversion).

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2