Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel

+2
james r chapman
Tim:H11
6 posters

Go down

DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel Empty DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Post by Tim:H11 4/6/2017, 8:39 am

Well I fought tooth and nail last summer to come up with a good load for my S&W Model 14-3 using a 158gr LSWC that I was casting my self using wheel weights and a Lee mold. Couldn't get the results I desired. Through talking to some people here and picking their brain on crimp, seat depth, powder and charge I started over. I'm using a Lee mold still but it's a 158gr LRN instead. And wouldn't you know it the patterns turned into groups. 

2.8gr of Bullseye was a large group. About 5"
3.0gr of Bullseye was about 3".
3.2gr of Bullseye started to lay shots next to each other but it was horribly windy with major gusts and so there where too many flyers to really see what it was capable of. 

I will retry 3.2 and 3.0 again. I think I'm finally on the right track. I think before (last year I mean)  I wasn't crimping enough. And bullet may have been seated too deep. So maybe before long I'll have a decent Distinguished Revolver load. I was using a rest that was adjustable up front and in the rear for elevation and angle or tilt. Not a ransom rest or sand bags. Just a hard adjustable rest. Minimal padding. I didn't actually measure the groups. I'm just waiting to see one that looks satisfactory.... Damn round nose bullets...

Last edited by Tim:H11 on 4/6/2017, 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Back to top Go down

DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel Empty Re: DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Post by james r chapman 4/6/2017, 9:12 am

Yep, and don't work yourself up trying to match 148 hbwc accuracy either.
You just have to settle for "good 'nuf"
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel Empty Re: DR Load - Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Post by Wobbley 4/6/2017, 10:15 am

Eons ago, one of the best shooting loads was a 200 grain police load.  It was a 200 grain "metal point" that had a cap on a lead bullet IIRC.  Do the rules allow a heavier bullet than 158?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 4/6/2017, 11:04 am

I've had my best accuracy with the Lyman 358311 158 grain RN over 3.0 of BE.  I gave up crimping to the crimp groove in this bullet and now crimp 1/2 way up the front driving band and crimp to .372 (same as my WC crimp) with Rem brass and lubed with Carnuba Red sized .358.  Like you said, turned patterns into groups when I crimped on the front driving band and I have never had one jump the crimp and move.

Don't know which Lee mould your using but I would imagine the 158 TL RN bullet.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/6/2017, 11:16 am

Wobbley wrote:Eons ago, one of the best shooting loads was a 200 grain police load.  It was a 200 grain "metal point" that had a cap on a lead bullet IIRC.  Do the rules allow a heavier bullet than 158?
Nope, Can not go heavier or lighter.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 4/6/2017, 11:47 am

Lee aluminum tumble lube. I used a .357 Lee sizing die but I think they're coming out .356. Tumble tubed, and .374 for crimp. Nearly 1.50 cartridge overall length. Once I decide on the charge I may yet still tinker with the seat depth. But I'm not gonna fuss too much. If I can get it to hold 10 ring consistently then I'll stick with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/6/2017, 4:25 pm

If you access to WST don't forget to try it along with BE.. I prefer it on my DR loads.. 3.0 - 3.3gr

Also try 45-45-10 lube as it's easier to work with and dries harder than std. Alox. 

mic you bullets to see what they are...356 would not be good in a Model 14.

Last edited by jglenn21 on 4/6/2017, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/6/2017, 4:57 pm

I'm sure you already did a search on site, but this has always been a great thread about DR loads

Http//www.bullseyeforum.net/t2221-distinguished-revolver-loads-that-don-t-suck?highlight=distinguished+loads
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down