Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger adjustments

2 posters

Go down

Trigger adjustments Empty Trigger adjustments

Post by Magload 4/12/2017, 6:57 pm

I have not adjusted the over travel set screw on either of my BE pistols, should I?  On my IDPA pistols I turn in the screw till the trigger doesn't break then just back it out till it does.  On the forums that the posters are action shooters or just self defense they are always posting about pre travel, over travel and reset, plus reset click and sound.  I don't see any of that mentioned here.  I would think the long over travel would effect us more then those guys shooting 3 to 10 yards.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Trigger adjustments Empty Re: Trigger adjustments

Post by Froneck 4/13/2017, 12:18 am

If you click on Home and Tony's Bullseye Blog and scroll down you'll see a topic on Resetting the trigger. If your trigger is not set-up right you will have problems as he describes. Also depending on how your Hammer/sear is set up the way you describe doing it will create problems. Some Hammer/sears if not done right will alow the sear to hit the half cock saftey hook. Eventually you will beat-up the sear. To check hold the hammer and pull the trigger to the stop and slowly let the hammer travel toward the firing pin. When it gets near the half cock area you will feel it if it is hitting. Some say the stop should be adjusted to clear the half cock but why have a stop? The Gold Cup solved this problem with a notched sear and thinned half cock and over time others applied that to their Hammers and sears. Also adjusting it the way you doing could also cause heavy trigger pulls from time to time or possibly failure to fire. The best way is to do as you are but add a 1/4 turn past the point the hammer falls. My method is to weigh the trigger and know the weight the trigger will drop the hammer and use the weight rather than my finger then add 1/4 turn. I also set-up my hammer/sears so that when released it will not hit the half cock hook.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/13/2017, 12:29 am

Froneck wrote:If you click on Home and Tony's Bullseye Blog and scroll down you'll see a topic on Resetting the trigger. If your trigger is not set-up right you will have problems as he describes. Also depending on how your Hammer/sear is set up the way you describe doing it will create problems. Some Hammer/sears if not done right will alow the sear to hit the half cock saftey hook. Eventually you will beat-up the sear. To check hold the hammer and pull the trigger to the stop and slowly let the hammer travel toward the firing pin. When it gets near the half cock area you will feel it if it is hitting. Some say the stop should be adjusted to clear the half cock but why have a stop? The Gold Cup solved this problem with a notched sear and thinned half cock and over time others applied that to their Hammers and sears. Also adjusting it the way you doing could also cause heavy trigger pulls from time to time or possibly failure to fire. The best way is to do as you are but add a 1/4 turn past the point the hammer falls. My method is to weigh the trigger and know the weight the trigger will drop the hammer and use the weight rather than my finger then add 1/4 turn. I also set-up my hammer/sears so that when released it will not hit the half cock hook.
I do add that 1/4 turn guess I missed that in my post.  Time to tweet the trigger on these two guns then I guess.  Thank for the info. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down