Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll or Crisp in 22

+7
Froneck
orpheoet
daflorc
AllAces
Tim:H11
Magload
VolScorpion
11 posters

Go down

Roll or Crisp in  22 Empty Roll or Crisp in 22

Post by VolScorpion Sun May 07 2017, 18:50

How many of you prefer a crisp trigger in your 22 BE gun? I am getting a les baer bullseye soon and i will be putting a roll trigger in it, but i am unsure if i want to get a nelson with the same roll trigger or keep using my volquartsen scorpion. I like the idea of shooting a similar gun each time, but I am undecided before I spend the money on a nelson and a 1911 frame.

VolScorpion

Back to top Go down

Roll or Crisp in  22 Empty Re: Roll or Crisp in 22

Post by Magload Sun May 07 2017, 19:01

VolScorpion wrote:How many of you prefer a crisp trigger in your 22 BE gun? I am getting a les baer bullseye soon and i will be putting a roll trigger in it, but i am unsure if i want to get a nelson with the same roll trigger or keep using my volquartsen scorpion. I like the idea of shooting a similar gun each time, but I am undecided before I spend the money on a nelson and a 1911 frame.

You should have been here today by the end of the RF match I might have given my Nelson away and then threw in the LB after the CF match.  I am about to change to revolvers.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by VolScorpion Sun May 07 2017, 19:15

Well you let me know if you put that nelson up for sale Smile

VolScorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun May 07 2017, 19:53

VolScorpion wrote:Well you let me know if you put that nelson up for sale Smile

I learned long ago to never part with a gun or a bow well even fishing rods and reels.  One day will come and I will want them back.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sun May 07 2017, 20:42

I don't have a roll trigger in my Nelson it's technically a crisp trigger. But it's got a little travel, some say creep, I don't know what to call it, it's got some movement before it breaks. It's very smooth, very clean, almost soft feeling. Nothing to it really. 2.25#. Using an EGW sear, Springfield Mil Spec Hammer, and Colt sear spring. I forget what the disconnector is. Might be a Colt. Might be a springfield. Not sure. 

My Ruger MKIII is a backup 22. It's got a roll feeling to it. I like it. Clean break. I think crisp vs roll depends on how well it's set up. How nice does it feel to the shooter. I've never tried a true "roll trigger". I just do what I can on my own guns the best that I can. Maybe redo it a couple times until it feels right.

Bottom line, I definitely prefer some movement before it breaks. Just a little. Not trigger travel, but noticeable feeling of the sear coming out of engagement with the hammer.

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Sun May 07 2017, 20:52

I have a crisp trigger in my M41 and a roll trigger in my 1911 and prefer these set ups. I have a roll trigger in my Ruger MK II and prefer the M41 trigger.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc Sun May 07 2017, 22:41

Having an identical shape and feel to the trigger (and grip, ideally) between your guns means you only have to learn one gun. I've got KC roll triggers in my .22 Nelson and my .45 RRA, and though the roll feels different in each gun, they are similar enough to improve my score. I probably picked up an average of 5 points in rimfire by switching from my Ruger Mark III to the Nelson. If its an advantage in centerfire, its an advantage in rimfire.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Sun May 07 2017, 23:50

My .22s go from a crisp M41 to crisper High Standard M107 to unbelievably crisp Hämmerli 280. I think I might just be a crisp trigger guy.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon May 08 2017, 01:52

Trigger style is what ever works best for you though I would select one type rather than different types on 2 guns.
 When I started Crisp was the rage, "breaks like glass" was the trigger everyone claimed was best and so that's what I had. One day while eating lunch at a match one of the top shooter was telling others why he changed to a "roll" trigger. As I listened to his reasons I found they were what I was experiencing. I planned on getting mine changed but at the time I was shooting as many matches I could get to so didn't have a chance to change my trigger. At one match my Crisp trigger started to go bad, as the match continued I developed a bit of a "roll" or felt movement before the hammer dropped. At first I didn't like it but as time went on I was beginning to like it since I noticed I was shooting better! Finailly the last rapid fire of the day I had an alibi on the last 5, with 4 away. I shot the last 5 and as walking to the target I and my scorer noticed a large hole in the X ring. I assume kidding the scorer asked "how many shots did you shoot over the top of the target"? The range officer was walking just behind us and said I was watching every one of his shots behind him thru a spotting scope and all 5 alibi shots were in the X!!  My score was 100-7X, I lost 4 X's. From that day on I shot roll trigger! However I have the roll the way I like it and have found over the years shooting "roll" there are quite a few types. When Adam and I were shooting together we talked about a "roll" that picked 3.5 pounds but it felt like 6 yet another style would feel like 2 pounds!
 My style is of course one that feels like 2 pounds but short movement.  Shooting timed or rapid I apply pressure as soon as the target starts to turn, I feel the trigger moving so I do all to keep my sights on the X. I don't have to think about the trigger since it's moving and the hammer will soon fall. As I return to the target after recoil I like to feel the trigger moving. That allows me to ignore thinking about trigger pressure, it's moving and soon the hammer will fall so I concentrate on my sights!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon May 08 2017, 03:20

In your ideal roll, does it take an even 3.5 (or 2) pounds continuous movement. Or is it a ramp up thing???
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon May 08 2017, 04:24

Naturally the trigger requires 3.5 pounds (45) but it feels like 2. I did like it to ramp up sort of like squeezing a toothpaste tube with the trigger finger but my current trigger feels like a continuous movement. However not a lot of movement because it slows me down in Rapid Fire. I don't like it if in ramps down, makes me feel like my finger is moving too fast, my thoughts goes to the trigger and away from the sight. A friend has what he calls a roll but it feels to me like movement starts at just a little over 3.5 pounds but rapidly decreases with quite a bit of travel before the hammer falls. Almost like crisp with no trigger stop.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon May 08 2017, 07:19

Froneck wrote:Trigger style is what ever works best for you though I would select one type rather than different types on 2 guns.
 When I started Crisp was the rage, "breaks like glass" was the trigger everyone claimed was best and so that's what I had. One day while eating lunch at a match one of the top shooter was telling others why he changed to a "roll" trigger. As I listened to his reasons I found they were what I was experiencing. I planned on getting mine changed but at the time I was shooting as many matches I could get to so didn't have a chance to change my trigger. At one match my Crisp trigger started to go bad, as the match continued I developed a bit of a "roll" or felt movement before the hammer dropped. At first I didn't like it but as time went on I was beginning to like it since I noticed I was shooting better! Finailly the last rapid fire of the day I had an alibi on the last 5, with 4 away. I shot the last 5 and as walking to the target I and my scorer noticed a large hole in the X ring. I assume kidding the scorer asked "how many shots did you shoot over the top of the target"? The range officer was walking just behind us and said I was watching every one of his shots behind him thru a spotting scope and all 5 alibi shots were in the X!!  My score was 100-7X, I lost 4 X's. From that day on I shot roll trigger! However I have the roll the way I like it and have found over the years shooting "roll" there are quite a few types. When Adam and I were shooting together we talked about a "roll" that picked 3.5 pounds but it felt like 6 yet another style would feel like 2 pounds!
 My style is of course one that feels like 2 pounds but short movement.  Shooting timed or rapid I apply pressure as soon as the target starts to turn, I feel the trigger moving so I do all to keep my sights on the X. I don't have to think about the trigger since it's moving and the hammer will soon fall. As I return to the target after recoil I like to feel the trigger moving. That allows me to ignore thinking about trigger pressure, it's moving and soon the hammer will fall so I concentrate on my sights!

this is a reason i went to a roll. though its on the shorter side. no 10x targets for me..... yet

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon May 08 2017, 08:07

I vote for C. 2 stage trigger.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 08 2017, 11:45

It would be a lives work to set all my triggers so they feel the same. Does it really matter? Don't jerk the trigger. YMMV

Len V
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down