Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protective Eyeware vs. Correction?

+11
TAB
xmastershooter
mikemyers
Virgil Kane
orpheoet
Wobbley
Dr.Don
Blsi2600
LenV
Magload
Jon Math
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Protective Eyeware vs. Correction? - Page 2 Empty Protective Eyeware vs. Correction?

Post by Jon Math 5/9/2017, 12:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

I’ve come to precision pistol shooting from ISSF events where I had shot with a very side on stance for decades.  As I’ve aged the flexibility in my neck is not what it was so to some extent I look out the corner of my eye at my sights.  I wear Champion Olympic type frames with a blinder and the single eye piece that I can adjust and angle to keep square to the target and my eyes so my off kilter head position has not been a problem.  Until now.  I recently joined a shooting club that requires me to wear full coverage eye wear at all times. Being older I need some correction in my lenses. 

I have tried wearing pilot style frames with prescription lenses.  I look through them at such an angle I get distortions and am looking out the side of the frames.  I tried a pair of wrap-a-round clear safety glasses (Wiely X’s) with my Olympics over them which might have worked except my nose is not big enough for both of the nose pieces and the Olympics were constantly sliding down my nose.

I’ve tried opening up my stance, but that just introduces an earth quake like wobble to my hold.  Short of finding a new club to shoot at does anyone have any suggestions?   
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Protective Eyeware vs. Correction? - Page 2 Empty Re: Protective Eyeware vs. Correction?

Post by mikemyers 6/30/2017, 7:58 pm

'jglenn21', if a person found an Optometrist who was very good, and if that Optometrist practiced in a state that allows Optometrists to dilate the eyes, and if that Optometrist had the same testing instruments that would be used by an Ophthalmologist, there would probably be no difference in the completeness of the exam.

I have had eye examinations by doctors in the USA, in India, and in Thailand.  Because of what I do at Aravind, I now understand what they are looking for, and why, and what the various test machines do.

Before I started going to Ophthalmologists, I used to see Optometrists, and sometimes Opticians.  By comparison, those exams were much quicker, I didn't need dark glasses when I left (meaning my eyes hadn't been dilated), and while I think I remember them using a slit-lamp, I don't remember any of the more complicated test gear that has been used since then.

I should add that at least at Aravind, one goal is to treat any condition that the doctors find that needs immediate attention, and also to look for signs of problems that are likely to occur in the future.

Since you write that an Optometrist can do all these things, and in some states, they can dilate the eyes for the examination, maybe you can just post here how someone in this forum can find out ahead of time if the Optometrist he is about to see will do those things.

Maybe my advice up above is out of date.  I'm posting what I was told by eye doctors to do, and why.  To repeat, I  am in NO WAY trying to belittle anyone.  But if an Optometrist is not allowed to dilate a patient's eye, that limits how well the back of the eye (the retina) can be checked.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Protective Eyeware vs. Correction? - Page 2 Empty Re: Protective Eyeware vs. Correction?

Post by mikemyers 6/30/2017, 8:06 pm

Last post.  This is what happens each and every time I get an eye examination:

https://www.verywell.com/what-happens-during-an-eye-exam-3421854

Depending on where it is done, this can take an hour or two, and when I leave the doctor's office, my eyes are dilated so bright sunlight is VERY uncomfortable, my vision is not very sharp, and everything goes back to normal (for me) by the next morning.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 6/30/2017, 8:59 pm

Actually the last time I visited my OD he used a new digital rental exam to scan the eye and give a complete picture of it.. no dilation needed..  yes they perform a slit lamp exam and test for Gloucoma via a NCT ( tonometry) 

time and progress march on...

pretty easy to call your OD and ask them what they do in their exam.

I'm out
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/7/2017, 12:34 am

• My purpose in the earlier responses was to make sure people got a complete eye exam.
  • Yep, fundus cameras are getting better and better all the time, and the cost is coming down.
  • I didn't mean to belittle any group of trained professionals.
  • I'm not smart enough to figure out a way to say what I meant, but to say it nicer.
  • I doubt that patients will even know to ask the ophthalmologist/optometrist what tests they will do, as patients probably don't know what those tests are to begin with.
  • I'll leave it for someone else in this discussion to find a way to say what I was trying to say, but to do so better than I'm able to....  the best I can think of, is for someone getting the testing done by an optometrist, to simply ask if they're getting all the tests that an ophthalmologist would do.  If the answer is yes, then either will be able to provide the full examination.

The important thing is to get your eyes tested frequently enough that if you start to develop any of a number of potential problems, that they be be identified early enough to minimize any permanent damage.

Again, sorry for any unintended negative comments towards anyone.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/7/2017, 5:09 am

I'm kinda partial to these.

Attachments
Protective Eyeware vs. Correction? - Page 2 Attachment
IMG_20170707_060811.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(44 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 7/7/2017, 7:19 am

LOL Sadly I’m almost at the point I need something like those Very Happy   Time to consider trifocals I’m afraid.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/7/2017, 7:21 am

I just have to have a pair of those. They just need integrated hearing protection
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/7/2017, 7:30 am

Mike the point  is well made for folks to do a bit of research on the exam AND get an annual eye exam just like a physical from your family physician. Especially younger folks with perfect vision.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Protective Eyeware vs. Correction? - Page 2 Empty No One Mentioned Contacts w/ Protection Over ?

Post by firebrand 7/26/2017, 3:33 pm

Consider Contacts with Protective Glasses over. Contacts have made Amazing advances, and yes, people with astigmatism can wear. 30 day have more moisture, but a matter of personal preference as well. 

Finally went to an Opthamologist my Parents go to. Was going to Optometrist for years, & thought she was doing a good job by me, but, sadly No! I have Early Cataracts. Nope, she didn't have that tiny little Lense to put over my eye that costs who knows how many Thousands of $$$'s !!! 
I've worked up close for so many years, now I feel blind. I Was Capable of seeing Carbon Spots in Diamonds. 
Now, Going to the Range poses an interesting challenge. How do you see up close to load your magazines without sacrificing your Distance? To give you an example, My Dr. Actually has patients who take the Police Exam where they may need to flip their dominant eye...  That is some Creative thinking. 
Now I've needed to tweak these Contacts several times to get it right. And will again. But that's the cool thing about Contacts, u can do that easier than glasses. Cost may even be less than rx glasses in the long run.  

By the way mikemyers, yur posts r spot on.

firebrand

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/26/2017, 3:57 pm

Yes my contact in my master eye completely corrects my astigmatism which my glasses can't  Both eyes have had cataract surgery with a distance lens in the master and reading in the other.  Both have had cornea transplants but the left, not master, has to be redone the end of next month.  The right turned out perfect a text book case.  The left I and having terrible fogging so I have to have it redone.   Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by firebrand 7/26/2017, 5:40 pm

Magload, sounds complicated, but under good control... 
we need to be thankful for what we have.

firebrand

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 7/26/2017, 5:42 pm

Fogging of the implant is not rare. My doctor says can probably be fixed with laser without new operation.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/26/2017, 7:32 pm

Olde Pilot wrote:Fogging of the implant is not rare. My doctor says can probably be fixed with laser without new operation.
I don't mind the surgery as it is painless it's all the drops afterwards that is the pain.  My surgeon is one of the best in the area.  The surgery cost me nothing but the laser surgery would.  I have put up with this since Jan 5th of this year thinking it was getting better.  I want it like my right eye turned out it is perfect.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/26/2017, 9:40 pm

firebrand wrote:......Was going to Optometrist for years, & thought she was doing a good job by me, but, sadly No! I have Early Cataracts....

Thanks for the compliments, but if an Ophthalmologist just noticed "early cataracts", the Optometrist almost certainly didn't "miss" them in the previous exam - they just weren't noticeable yet.  I had an ophthalmologist tell me I had early cataracts, and another ophthalmologist a few days later said I didn't - but I had something that might become a cataract.  It can be very difficult to tell, until the cataract develops enough to be noticed in an eye exam.

If you had a typical exam, that special lens is an "aspheric lens" which allows the doctor to examine the back of your eye, the retina.  For me, it was when they looked through the big white machine that you rest your chin on (a "slit lamp") that they could look for a cataract.

If you just have the beginnings of a cataract, there is no rush to do anything about it.  When it gets bad enough to annoy you, or to interfere with your vision, that you need to get surgery.

I am NOT an eye doctor in any way, but I will say to thoroughly check out the type of lens they want to put in your eye.  If they want to give you premium lenses, for a lot more $$$, thoroughly research both what's good about them, and also what's bad.  I told my doctor that I wanted the clearest, sharpest vision possible, and that meant a standard IOL with none of the new fancy stuff.  It all comes down to a trade-off of quality vs convenience.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 7/27/2017, 7:20 am

I don’t think contact would be the way to go for me.  My distance vision is exceptionally good, it’s my reading distance that has gone away on me, and I don’t want that correction other than when I need to read I’m happy to put glasses on then.

When I shoot revolvers or single shot pistols like my air pistol or free pistol I wear my Olympic frames with correction and a blinder.  When I shoot semi autos or at a place that is particular about my glasses I wear low profile wrap-a-round non-corrective safety glasses under the Olympic frames.  It works in precision shooting games, I’m not sure what I’d do if I was shooting a more active event like IDPA etc.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2