Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WST powder

+3
Olde Pilot
LenV
troystaten
7 posters

Go down

WST powder  Empty WST powder

Post by troystaten Sat May 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I know Winchester 231 and HP 38 are the same powder, does WST have the same powder in the Hodgen line of powders?

thanks

troystaten

Back to top Go down

WST powder  Empty Re: WST powder

Post by LenV Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Check the sticky above. Nice comparison info.

Sticky   https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2279-powder-cross-over-equivalent-chart

Last edited by LenV on Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added sticky)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Sat May 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Burn rates of Clays International and WST are essentially the same. However, if you're looking for the best direct Hodgen substitute for 45 ACP loads, I would choose HP-38 as a commonly accepted excellent powder for the 45. HP-38 has a slightly higher burn rate than WST and a little slower than Bullseye.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm

I have had good results with CFE Pistol.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat May 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Olde Pilot wrote:Burn rates of Clays International and WST are essentially the same. However, if you're looking for the best direct Hodgen substitute for 45 ACP loads, I would choose HP-38 as a commonly accepted excellent powder for the 45. HP-38 has a slightly higher burn rate than WST and a little slower than Bullseye.
Clays ( all variants) are made by ADI.  WST is made in St Marks Florida.  Very different powders.  They may be equivalent under SOME conditions but not others.  Note that neither Hodgdon NOR ADI listed a lot of pistol data for International.  Apparently it was touchy in some calibers.  The only data still around is some old Cowboy loads.  Just be cautious when deviating from recognized recipes.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat May 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for the responses, I have seen the various charts and currently use HP 38 or 231 for my 45acp loads.  I have seen a lot of people saying they liked WST for 45acp and was wondering if there was a identical powder from Hodgen if WST was not available.  

thank you

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat May 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Olde Pilot wrote:Burn rates of Clays International and WST are essentially the same. However, if you're looking for the best direct Hodgen substitute for 45 ACP loads, I would choose HP-38 as a commonly accepted excellent powder for the 45. HP-38 has a slightly higher burn rate than WST and a little slower than Bullseye.

FYI, HP-38 & Win. 231 are the same powder.

Quote:
"Win. 231 and HP-38 are exactly the same powder. Any data you see for one you can safely use with the other.
Dave Campbell
Hodgdon/ IMR/ Winchester"

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Sat May 20, 2017 7:52 pm

No, there is not a Hodgen powder the same as  WST just with a different name.

Last edited by Olde Pilot on Sat May 20, 2017 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat May 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Olde Pilot
I certainly hope you didn't take my post as criticism because it wasn't.  I added the info. because there are new shooters that may not know HP-38 & Win 231 are the same powder.  Since 2012 they are made in the same factory and packaged for the 2 brands, are they same exact powder.  That's why I posted it and it's also why I included the quote so the newbie's knew it wasn't just my opinion. 

I and many others use WST, it's a very popular, I am not aware of a direct replacement but there are powders with similar burn rates as suggested in the cross reference sticky.   I used Clays (not International Clays) until it couldn't be found then I switched to WST and the loads were close.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 Sat May 20, 2017 8:43 pm

If there is a better powder for 45 then WST my Ransom Rest never found it, nor did I. Shot a 893 with my 45 using WST in the early 1990s, never saw the need to look at another powder.
Tom Ginovsky

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Olde pilot,  I wasn't trying to be critical.  Just trying to fill in the blanks.  These forum responses have a very long life and search engines will find information that's decades old.  Been there done that. So my post was to keep future shooters safe.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sun May 21, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks for all the responses, I have gone back and forth between Bullseye and HP-38, these days I have found HP-38 more often than Bulleye but if I see some WST I will give it a try.

thanks

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 am

I am waiting for the BE to run out but I have stocked up on to much of it for that to happen anytime soon.  I like BE but it just burns to dirty.  Maybe that is because of the powder puff loads I have never loaded a manual recommended load.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down