Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay?

+7
Magnusbullets
fc60
Archer Gravely
john bickar
Chris Miceli
weber1b
Tim:H11
11 posters

Go down

Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay? Empty Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay?

Post by Tim:H11 Tue May 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Wheres the cheapest place to order a scoring overlay? I don't have one and it seems I need one. I've seen bullseye gear's website and champions choice but was hoping to find something on eBay or amazon. Nope. Not there. Any preferences on where to order one?

Back to top Go down

Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay? Empty Re: Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay?

Post by weber1b Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 pm

They are cheap enough that it is not a major difference. I would order them from either whomever had them in stock, or who had something else I needed, like pasters. I think the Bullseyegear.com ones come two to a pack which is nice.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay? Empty Re: Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay?

Post by Chris Miceli Tue May 30, 2017 7:57 pm

You can print your own using the translucent overlay paper the file it out there somewhere

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue May 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:You can print your own using the translucent overlay paper the file it out there somewhere

I'm not fond of trusting my scores to the unknown tolerances of someone's personal inkjet printer.

Shipping is what kills you on something like an overlay. Unfortunately you have to either: A) buy it in person on Commercial Row or at the vendor's home location; B) buy enough stuff from the vendor to amortize the shipping cost; or C) get some friends together to help you accomplish (B).
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 pm

http://www.califpistolmatches.com/documents/overlays/

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer Gravely Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 am

I printed these California overlays but I couldn't help but notice that the .22 overlay is noticeably bigger than the one's sold by Champion's Choice.  Anyone else checked this out?
Archer Gravely
Archer Gravely

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Wed May 31, 2017 8:15 am

Was reading up on the rules ......

However,  competitors acting  as scorers may use official  NRA overlays  in  the performance of  their duties.

Where are these official ones? I don't see NRA emblem on any of the ones I have bought

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed May 31, 2017 9:02 am

Greetings,

The NRA used to sell them. I have some rather well used ones in my shooting box.

On a side note, If you have access to AutoCAD, you can print some accurate overlays with a good Laser printer. The InkJet models will probably get destroyed in the rain.

Back to AutoCAD, in the print menu is a scaling parameter. You can tweak this value to produce some very accurate overlays. You do need a magnifying glass and precision scale to verify the result.

Also, within AutoCAD, is a line thickness parameter. Use this to match the white line thickness on the target. Be aware that the target dimensions are to the outside tangent edge of the line.

I use my InkJet machine to produce overlays for group evaluation when testing barrels at various distances.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Cheapest Place to Order Scoring Overlay? Empty Overlay

Post by Magnusbullets Wed May 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Check out Anthony Bellapanni at Distinguished shooters supply in bham, Al. Former Marine shooter.
Great guy. eBay or Facebook.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed May 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Creedmoor Sports

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 pm

Skid wrote:Creedmoor Sports
from the NRA rule book,

22 caliber ............................................................ .2225” - .2240” .32 caliber ................................................................ .310” - .314” 9mm & .38 Spl ........................................................ .355” - .359” .40 caliber .................................................................. .397”-.401” .44 caliber .................................................................. .426”-.430” .45 caliber .................................................................. .450”-.454” 

just measured my creedmoor and its on the smaller side of the range.  The one from bullseye gear was closer to the higher side. I think I haven't been lenient enough with my scoring.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm

One of the challenges of making your own is that when you photo copy something, it gets slightly enlarged. And then if you copy a copy and so on, you see the problem.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed May 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Mentor is making a trip to Champions Choice next week. I asked him to pick up an overlay for me. No shipping!

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 pm

http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepistol/home.php
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 am

I have the ones from CC and also a set of plugs just wish we could use the plugs they are so much better I think.  I use them when not in a match.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:55 am

I got my first overlay from another shooter in one of my first outdoor matches. I have since been able to pay it forward at a later date. Always a nice way to welcome a new shooter

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:12 am

Magload wrote:I have the ones from CC and also a set of plugs just wish we could use the plugs they are so much better I think.  I use them when not in a match.  Don
Just call for a plug every time Smile worst case is you become that guy

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:26 am

the ones I have came from the NRA years ago.. I simply copy them on to transparency paper on my printer along with the 9 ring and 10 ring overlays from  the California pistol matches site.

makes a good set
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Good to know Chris thanks

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down