Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching from right hand to left hand?

+10
BE Mike
mikemyers
Jon Eulette
Jon Math
davekp
TampaTim
Russ OR
xmastershooter
zanemoseley
Bruce in WV
14 posters

Go down

Switching from right hand to left hand? Empty Switching from right hand to left hand?

Post by Bruce in WV 6/6/2017, 4:11 pm

Tear in right eye retina has left a pucker that can't be corrected and significantly interferes with shooting, so only acceptable choice is to switch to left hand. Is it really as simple as it sounds - just relearn to shoot with the left hand (only this time pay better attention to the basics than I did in my 20's)? FWIW, I'm left handed with left master eye but have been shooting right handed all my life because that's what was done in the 50's and 60's. Also, left eye is clear and correctable to 20/20.
Bruce in WV
Bruce in WV

Back to top Go down

Switching from right hand to left hand? Empty Re: Switching from right hand to left hand?

Post by zanemoseley 6/6/2017, 5:00 pm

Well in theory you should be better off in the long run since you'll be using your dominant eye and strong arm. Just gotta be patient and make small goals so you don't get frustrated trying to shoot your RH scores.

If you don't already have one now might be a good time to get a quality air pistol so you can practice some each day at home.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Switching from right hand to left hand? Empty Re: Switching from right hand to left hand?

Post by xmastershooter 6/6/2017, 5:02 pm

In a past study, 62% of over 5,500 subjects were found to be right eyed-right hand dominant and 4.2% were left eyed-left hand dominant.  The others were cross dominant with 28.6% being left eyed-right hand dominant.  So although in the minority, you have the innate advantage of shooting with your left eye with your left hand.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 6/6/2017, 7:58 pm

I'm a righty. 
Several years ago my right shoulder was really bothering me. On the off-chance I might have to switch someday I started practice sessions shooting 50 rounds of 22 lefty (cheap HV ammo in my old Ruger). -  -Then I'd do my regular practice: Buckmark, SV ammo, right hand/eye.
The left hand shooting was gradually improving -- .

After that awkward left hand/eye shooting, when I went to my normal right hand/eye, I felt like a Hi-Master & the shooting went extremely well. - The hold was solid, trigger pull easy. A good training technique?

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by TampaTim 6/6/2017, 10:32 pm

Go for it. I hurt my arm and had to use the other for 2 years until it healed. I broke 2600 with both. It was a much faster learning curve with my other arm than my first. It took me a year to make master the first time but shot master scores in 4 months with other arm. There is a shooter, and great guy, that has shot 2650 with both. Give it a couple of months of a lot of dry firing  and a little live firing to build up your stamina and control.

TampaTim

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 6/7/2017, 6:33 am

I am right handed right eye dominant. A few years ago, I got a macular hole in my right eye. I switched to right hand left eye without too much problem. Later I got a severe essential tremor in my right hand, and had to switch to left handed. My scores suffered badly and, at age 71, will probably never come back. A younger shooter might be OK, but I'm fighting declining muscle strength and rotator cuff surgery recovery. 
Give right hand left eye a fair try.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce in WV 6/7/2017, 12:57 pm

My profile in the first post shows we're the same age, 71, and I also have some other health issues that impact my continued participation in the sport, but I want to stay in the game as long as possible, at least at the club-shoot level. I have realistic expectations about scores, etc., but want to do the best I can for as long as I can.
I met an older shooter on the line this morning with Parkinsons, at his last shoot because the tremors have finally gotten so bad he has to give up and become an observer and shoot volunteer. His grit reminded me that I can get a lot worse for wear and still have fun for a while. Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.
Bruce in WV
Bruce in WV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/7/2017, 1:44 pm

The other option is to continue shooting right handed and get a set of grips made with an offset so you can shoot left eyed.  It’s a common grip for European pistols, I don’t know about 1911 styled pistols without going to an ortho style however.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 6/7/2017, 1:58 pm

I'm right eye dominant. I've shot BE both right and left handed. Typically 99% righty. I have shot left handed and used my right dominant eye and broke 2600. I wasn't bothered at all using right eye left hand.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/24/2017, 10:10 pm

Bruce, not sure what treatment you've had, and how many people you've asked, but I do volunteer work at Aravind Eye Hospital in India, and my good friend Dr. Kim is the head of the retina department.  From what he has told me, if a patient gets to see a doctor quickly enough, the retina can be "riveted" back in place quite well.  Unless you've already done so, you might want to check with a hospital that specializes in eye surgery, and find out if anything can still be done to improve your sight in that eye.

Also - if you're naturally right handed now for shooting, and your left eye is your dominant eye, what happens if you shoot as you're used to, but move your gun to the left so you're using your left eye?  When my right eye still had a cataract, I was going to shoot that way for a few weeks, but never got to do it.  I did dry-fire that way a little, and the worst thing for me is that I wasn't that comfortable having to use my non-dominay eye.

You guys are talking about 71 as if it means "old".  I'll be 74 in December.  I'd like to think I still have another five to ten years of shooting left in me.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/25/2017, 7:56 am

I personally know one shooter who made the 2600 Club with both hands, so it can be done. I had problems with my right shoulder and side and tried it. The toughest part for me was accepting that I had to start over again. I kept telling my left arm and hand to apply the fundamentals, but they refused. I was just not tenacious enough and that is all on me.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 7/25/2017, 10:38 am

Read this for a little encouragement Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Károly_Takács

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 7/25/2017, 5:10 pm

I believe Nill makes a grip for people that are right hand / left eye dominate.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 7/25/2017, 5:14 pm

If your switching hands why not switch eyes?

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 8/20/2017, 7:51 am

I posted this a while ago but here it is again.
https://armyreservemarksman.info/category/service-pistol/page/2/
It's a detailed way my son Adam switched hands and broke 2650 shooting left handed.
 He is back shooting right handed now.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down