Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SL loads for 25-2

3 posters

Go down

SL loads for 25-2 Empty SL loads for 25-2

Post by Magload Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 am

I been trying to shoot my SL loads that are for my Les Baer and at 20yds from a bench rest they are all over the paper.  I have been shooting them at 20yds practice and lucky if I could keep them on a 25yd FT/RF target.  So today I took the rest and could hardly keep them on a repair center.  These loads are Zero 185gr SWCHPs over 3.8gr of BE seated to 1.240 with just enough crimp that the edge of the brass doesn't catch dropping the moon clips in.   I happened to have my LL loads with me so tried them. They are 185gr Zero JHPs over 4.2gr of BE.  They grouped as good as I was able to sight the iron sights so I don't think it is the gun.  I haven't slugged the barrel and not quite sure how to do it with a revolver.  Do I need to change bullets?  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

SL loads for 25-2 Empty Re: SL loads for 25-2

Post by james r chapman Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 am

Start with more crimp.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:36 am

Magload wrote:I been trying to shoot my SL loads that are for my Les Baer and at 20yds from a bench rest they are all over the paper.  I have been shooting them at 20yds practice and lucky if I could keep them on a 25yd FT/RF target.  So today I took the rest and could hardly keep them on a repair center.  These loads are Zero 185gr SWCHPs over 3.8gr of BE seated to 1.240 with just enough crimp that the edge of the brass doesn't catch dropping the moon clips in.   I happened to have my LL loads with me so tried them. They are 185gr Zero JHPs over 4.2gr of BE.  They grouped as good as I was able to sight the iron sights so I don't think it is the gun.  I haven't slugged the barrel and not quite sure how to do it with a revolver.  Do I need to change bullets?  Don
Some 25-2's seem to prefer jacketed bullets to lead. I use a .470" taper crimp. An old standby .45 ACP revolver load was 3.5 grains of Bullseye with a 200 gr. LSWC. It could be that the gun likes hard cast bullets rather than the swaged Zeros. It might be worth first trying different powder loads though, then different lead bullets and those which are sized differently. At least you have a good load you can always fall back on!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Guess I better buy a grip mount for my RR if I got to do a lot of load testing.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down