Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MatchDot II scope rings

+3
LenV
jglenn21
Magload
7 posters

Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Magload Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am

I would like to get my MatchDot IIs lower.  Can anyone recommend a set of scope rings that are not as tall as the ones that come with the MatchDot II in 30mm.  I need 3 sets and at the price some of them are I don't want to just start buying and trying.  I see mounts that appear to be lower but then some are not worth the price you pay.  Berrer to buy something that other BE shooters found that works well.  Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by jglenn21 Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 am

the B-Square 30mm are inexpensive and work very well... Brownells carries them
jglenn21
jglenn21

Posts : 2588
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 76
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by LenV Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 am

I buy mostly the Simmons now. The Leupold Rifleman is another good choice. At 13.48 a set they won't break the bank and are strong enough for Bullseye loads. I have dealt with E-cop a lot and recommend them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-49174-SSimmons-See-Thru-Rings-30mm-Matte-Black-/311890096510?hash=item489e19317e
MatchDot II scope rings S-l500
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4708
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by gregbenner Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:58 am

I just ordered these on Amazon for $33. Arriving today.  I'll let you know how they work.

Jon had the same observation on my Matchdot 2 when he did the trigger adjustment on my AW93....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00719S6JU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Edit, they just arrived.  Much lower, look nice.  get the gun tomorrow, will road test it then,

gregbenner

Posts : 738
Join date : 2016-10-29
Location : San Diego area

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Magload Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Being Aim Point I suspect they will be good.  I needed 3 sets so I bought the B Squared for $7.99 ea.  They were a Add On item so I had to buy something worth $25 so I ordered a Millet 1X24 red dot for $75 to try on the 25-2 when the mount gets here next week.  It it don't work I got several 22 rifles that need a optic better yet my grandson just got a AR15 and needs a optic. Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by davekp Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:40 am

B-squares don't work on a 45acp. Probably OK on a 22.

davekp

Posts : 315
Join date : 2011-06-11

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Jack H Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 pm

gregbenner wrote:I just ordered these on Amazon for $33. Arriving today.  I'll let you know how they work.

Jon had the same observation on my Matchdot 2 when he did the trigger adjustment on my AW93....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00719S6JU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Edit, they just arrived.  Much lower, look nice.  get the gun tomorrow, will road test it then,

Add a small washer under the head of the crossbolt.  It wears the aluminum real easy.  I think it is a #6 lock washer that works.  use two pliers to bend out the locking unevenness.
Jack H
Jack H

Posts : 2660
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Magload Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:54 pm

davekp wrote:B-squares don't work on a 45acp. Probably OK on a 22.

Why is this?  I would think the two screws should keep the mount from moving.  I would think the mount would want to move forward as the gun recoils and it can't as there is a lip that hangs down in the very back.  I am going to give it a try anyway.  Went to B Squares site and they only list two rails now and this one is not listed.  Also searched E Bay and a Google search.  Not sure what the part number is.  Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by LenV Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Magload wrote:
davekp wrote:B-squares don't work on a 45acp. Probably OK on a 22.

Why is this?  I would think the two screws should keep the mount from moving.  I would think the mount would want to move forward as the gun recoils and it can't as there is a lip that hangs down in the very back.  I am going to give it a try anyway.  Went to B Squares site and they only list two rails now and this one is not listed.  Also searched E Bay and a Google search.  Not sure what the part number is.  Don
 They have two screws to hold the scope on each ring but they have a single screw to hold rings to mount. You can only tighten so far before A. the aluminum threads strip or B. You bend the bolt or C. You strip the allen screw. I have done all 3.

Len
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4708
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Jack H Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:12 pm

In aluminum rings, whenever possible, I deepen the threads and swap as long a screw as possible.  I clean the threads and lightly oil them.  Yes oil.
Jack H
Jack H

Posts : 2660
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Magload Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Ok I am back with the program I was think we were talking about the B Squared rail I put on the 25-2.  I shouldn't be trying to do 3 different post at one time.  I will see how it goes I got 5 target 22s so I can find a home for the three I ordered.  Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by jglenn21 Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:34 pm

these are the style Bsquare I have used for quite a while without issue on 45 or whatever..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Square-30-mm-Sport-Utility-Rings-Standard-Dovetail-Low-Rise-Matte-Black-Fini-/401308163422?hash=item5d6fd49d5e:g:fk8AAOSwCWFY8HNt

yes you can't tighten the rail screw Farmer tight but.... never had them come loose.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Posts : 2588
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 76
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Magload Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:55 pm

jglenn21 wrote:these are the style Bsquare I have used for quite a while without issue on 45 or whatever..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Square-30-mm-Sport-Utility-Rings-Standard-Dovetail-Low-Rise-Matte-Black-Fini-/401308163422?hash=item5d6fd49d5e:g:fk8AAOSwCWFY8HNt

yes you can't tighten the rail screw Farmer tight but.... never had them come loose.
Those are the ones I ordered from Amazon but got them for $8 each no shipping.  I learned long ago not to tighten the screws till they wouldn't move anymore.  Don
Magload
Magload

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2016-11-18
Age : 77
Location : NE Florida

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by davekp Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 am

The problem I had with B-Square rings is that the cross bolt is round in cross section, and only sits down into a base for half it's diameter. 
                                    l
                                    )
                                    l
A weaver's cross bolt is square in cross section.
                                                                   
                                   l_
                                    _l
                                   l
Better bearing area.

davekp

Posts : 315
Join date : 2011-06-11

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Wobbley Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:43 am

Some Weaver bolts are round.  The early Weaver mounts had round grooves and they changed in the early days to square with a corresponding change in the bolts.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Posts : 4650
Join date : 2015-02-13

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by gregbenner Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Magload wrote:Being Aim Point I suspect they will be good.  I needed 3 sets so I bought the B Squared for $7.99 ea.  They were a Add On item so I had to buy something worth $25 so I ordered a Millet 1X24 red dot for $75 to try on the 25-2 when the mount gets here next week.  It it don't work I got several 22 rifles that need a optic better yet my grandson just got a AR15 and needs a optic. Don


Work perfect on my AW93.  Lowered the sight approximately 1/4" (.86" to .65" in the location I measured).  Plus they split horizontally, vs vertically which I like.

gregbenner

Posts : 738
Join date : 2016-10-29
Location : San Diego area

Back to top Go down

MatchDot II scope rings Empty Re: MatchDot II scope rings

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum