Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Numbering revolver chambers

+5
LenV
Rob Kovach
Jon Math
james r chapman
Magload
9 posters

Go down

Numbering revolver chambers Empty Numbering revolver chambers

Post by Magload Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 am

I been reading a lot of old DR post and ammo for the same.  There is many mentions of certain chambers in their guns shoot better.  Being petty new to revolvers at least to the point of accuracy, I have own them for years, how are you all marking the cylinder so you can use just one for slow fire?  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Numbering revolver chambers Empty Re: Numbering revolver chambers

Post by james r chapman Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:28 am

Number stamp, punch spot, sharpie, scratch mark,
Some say it's needed, some say it's not.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:18 am

I have a hunting revolver that has one cylinder that is head and shoulder above the rest more accurate, and because I have the option assuming a solid rest and using a scope when I hunt I do prefer to use that one cylinder for my first shot, so I marked it.  I also have to judge distance in the field, unlike a known distance target course, so I take every  advantage available when taking a life.

Target revolvers are shot 5 shots at a time.  Unless I had a cylinder that was especially bad and did not want to use that one I don’t see the need to mark them.  Am I missing something?
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Jon Math wrote:I have a hunting revolver that has one cylinder that is head and shoulder above the rest more accurate, and because I have the option assuming a solid rest and using a scope when I hunt I do prefer to use that one cylinder for my first shot, so I marked it.  I also have to judge distance in the field, unlike a known distance target course, so I take every  advantage available when taking a life.

Target revolvers are shot 5 shots at a time.  Unless I had a cylinder that was especially bad and did not want to use that one I don’t see the need to mark them.  Am I missing something?

Jon yes I think you are missing something that being said in a friendly way.  I am sure you shoot fine no matter what cylinder you fire, me not so much.  When you are shooting as bad as I am every little bit helps, but maybe not.  As I could pull a shot and have the flyer hit the X but that isn't to be considered a good shot and one sure wouldn't want his score to count on that.   I am more concerned with knowing that #? shoots the tightest group for testing loads.  I will use a center punch a deface this fine 25-2 because a Sharpie mark doesn't last.  I am not going to be here when she gets sold anyway.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pm

I was able to do thorough testing of my K-38 with my Lee machine rest and I was able to find that I had 2 really accurate 50 yard cylinders, but they didn't go through the same hole. I just identified my #1 cylinder and found that #1 is best for 50 yards and all but #2 work consistently for the short line.

If I shoot the #2 cylinder, those shots go about an inch up and left from my called point of aim.

The mark I made was a simple line scratch lightly through the bluing.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:I was able to do thorough testing of my K-38 with my Lee machine rest and I was able to find that I had 2 really accurate 50 yard cylinders, but they didn't go through the same hole.  I just identified my #1 cylinder and found that #1 is best for 50 yards and all but #2 work consistently for the short line.

If I shoot the #2 cylinder, those shots go about an inch up and left from my called point of aim.

The mark I made was a simple line scratch lightly through the bluing.

Rob that what I think I will do as a scratch can be touched up a punch mark is forever.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm

No need to punch that 25-2. The shell ejector has a pin in only one spot. Empty hole in the other side. Small but easy to see if your looking for it.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

LenV wrote:No need to punch that 25-2. The shell ejector has a pin in only one spot. Empty hole in the other side. Small but easy to see if your looking for it.
Len I see the holes but on my gun both are open as they fit down over pins on the cylinder.  If I was to remove the bluing on the ejector on the cylinder that I want as #1 it would be hardly noticable.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 pm

I only have 1 pin on my 25-2 and my 17 no dash. Makes it easy to call it number 1. But a small scratch works also. My 19 has a 2 marked on one of its cylinders. Never have figured that stamp.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 am

Marking a chamber seems to be the poor man's method of getting accuracy from a revolver.  A time tested accurizing technique is to have a gunsmith ream all of the chambers throats to the same diameter. Generally .001-.002 over bore diameter works best.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am

Generally it is impossible to get a 6 holes to line up exactly the same with the barrel. There will always be a variance. Therefore for a long time the cylinders were numbered or otherwise marked. If anything not using the one that shoots the worst makes sense! Of if one seems to be outstanding then using it for slow fire. Most accuracy jobs on revolvers include numbering the cylinders.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:44 am

Froneck, I agree about the alignment issue.  Nothing you can do about that.  But reaming throats does work, and it works well.  Even just polishing the throats with a dremel tool helps. Most people don't realize how much difference there can be between individual throats. It can also help alleviate a slight misalignment.  Not a cure-all, but it helps.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Not that I'm an expert on gunsmithing revolvers or anything, but when Jerry Keefer tuned up my .38 years ago, among other things I got back was a test target with individual groups from each of the six cylinders and a group using all cylinders.  All the cylinders were numbered and one was marked for slow fire.  I shot it just like Jerry marked it, using the marked cylinder for slow fire and used the other 5 for timed and rapid.  I figured if Jerry did it, there must be a good reason.  Yea, I did eventually get DR.

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:09 am

I've spent many, many 9mm rounds characterizing each chamber of my 986 last fall and winter.   After about 60 rounds through each chamber with dummies in each of the other 6 clip positions and single shot mode, each chamber seems to have equivalent accuracy at 25 yds. from a manual benchrest.  I chose chamber #1 at random and kept that choice throughout the tests.  My range rod says chambers 6 and 7 to be slightly skewed to the right, just kissing the left side with the hammer cocked.  I did have the cone and barrel throat polished before the testing.
I fired one round in each of 7 targets, repeating 9 times in each range session, then transferred each bullet hole from each session to 7 master sheets.   I did have a few flyers in each chamber that I attribute to my aged eyes or just plain lack of personal consistency.  I use a Sharpie to mark the chamber id after every cleaning.

Last edited by Bigtrout on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 am

You could also use a Dykem white metal marking pen for a semi-permanent marking.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Update on my cylinders.  I received my ball gage set today and checked the throats and all 6 measured .457 so I can stop worrying about that.  I have Federal Match ammo on order and will then check each cylinder for groups at 50yds as I also ordered a insert for this revolver so I can use the RR.  I also have paint pens coming so I think I am good.   When I finish with this gun I got the 17-5 I got the other day to do.  Good thing I love testing.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Grouped tested all cylinders today at 50yds with the RR and Federal Premium Gold Medal 185 FMJ-SW.  I just random picked one cylinder as #1 and marked it with a white paint pen.  Cylinder #3 was the best with a nice round group of 3 1/8" but had a flyer out to 4 1/4 from the center of the group.  all cylinders had 1 or 2 flyers out of a 10 shot group.  I would have expected better then this off a RR but the wooden bench is 10 shooting positions long and had other shoots using it.  It is just 3/4" boards and is a really nice covered shooting line but not a good Ransom Rest mounting platform.  I still was able to get the data I needed and now know cylinder #2 sucks and #3 is best.  If you over look flyerws they all except #2 and ok and better then I can shoot.  #2 is now marked red and #3 gold.  Other then being 90 degrees and high humidity it was a nice morning at the range.  Don BTW my Zero 185 JHPs with 4.2 BE shot as good as the Federals.
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down