Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 625-8

+2
Magload
mprince
6 posters

Go down

Model 625-8 Empty Model 625-8

Post by mprince 6/25/2017, 7:24 pm

Somebody pointed out that I could use a 45 revolver and ultradot in the Harry Reeves Match.  So I thought that would be a great reason to take my new 625-8 4" performance center revolver to the range.  Turns out that the single action pull is the most horrible that I have ever felt on a revolver.  It is pretty accurate, but the trigger has a notchy feel and when I got back from the range today, I used my trigger weight set on it and it picked up the entire 4-3/4 weight set without going off.  I have no idea what it actually takes to pull the trigger, I just know it is over 4-3/4.  For single action.

I bought this brand new at Smokey Mountain Knife Works sometime earlier in the year.  Does anyone else have one of these?  Is this what I should expect from this?  It cost in excess of $1K and I really wish I had found a model 25 before I bough this, but I am stuck with it now.  Should I send it back to S&W or just send it to a revolver smith to have it properly worked on.  I guess the performance center markings fooled me.

Any advice?

mprince

Back to top Go down

Model 625-8 Empty Re: Model 625-8

Post by Magload 6/25/2017, 7:37 pm

I really am glad you posted this as a 625 PC was next on my list.  It just might be that the gun is made for the action shoot crowd as I don't see a 625 mentioned much by the BE guys on here.  Have you called S&W CS they are normally helpful.  If they were to tell you that was in specs I will be removing the gun from my bucket list.  I have a safe full of M&Ps an will say their triggers do smooth out with use. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/25/2017, 7:39 pm

Don't shoot double action. That was a serious suggestion. I have no idea what the trigger pull on my 25-2 would be in double action. It pulls a tiny bit over 2.5 lbs single action and that works great. YMMV

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mprince 6/25/2017, 8:24 pm

LenV wrote:Don't shoot double action. That was a serious suggestion. I have no idea what the trigger pull on my 25-2 would be in double action. It pulls a tiny bit over 2.5 lbs single action and that works great. YMMV

Len

The post above is about single action, as was stated in the post.  I could care less what my DA pull is.  My single action is over 4-3/4 lbs, so my MMV a whole lot.

mprince

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/25/2017, 9:18 pm

Where are you located? In Michigan, Joe Lieninger does good revolver work.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/25/2017, 10:23 pm

Ok, I feel like a dummy for not noticing that your 5# trigger was in single action. The lbs threw my thinking off. However I have another suggestion. The only time I have ever seen one of the new models with a trigger pull that high was when the new lock system was part way engaged. They are a pia to start with and when they are half way on double so.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 6/26/2017, 7:18 am

S&W advertise that revolver to have a Performance Center tuned action. I would contact S&W first. They may send you a shipping label to have the revolver sent back for action work. That being said, a 5# single action trigger pull may be within their spec. If that is the case, you'll need to get a gunsmith to really give you a buttery smooth action. I'm afraid that long gone are the days when gun manufacturers produce out-of-the-box handguns that are really good. One other thing though, as a long time S&W revolver guy, I always remove the side plate and clean (flush out) the action parts and look for any metal shavings etc. I then load up the action with a good lubricant and dry fire the heck out of the revolver before it goes to the range. I used to do this as far back as the 70's with new S&W revolvers. This would let the action parts wear in together and take out any roughness.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/26/2017, 7:52 am

The lock probably makes sense.ive never found a s&w sa over 3.5#
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mprince 6/26/2017, 8:49 am

LenV wrote:Ok, I feel like a dummy for not noticing that your 5# trigger was in single action. The lbs threw my thinking off. However I have another suggestion. The only time I have ever seen one of the new models with a trigger pull that high was when the new lock system was part way engaged. They are a pia to start with and when they are half way on double so.

Had my hopes up, but I checked it and it is all the way off.  It may be that it is not fitted properly though.  I will give S&W a call and see what they say.  Looks like this one won't be making the HR match this year.

Update:  Their customer service is excellent.  I called them and told them the problem and they are sending me a FedEx label to send in to be fixed.  While it is there, I may have some work done on it as well.

mprince

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 6/26/2017, 9:11 am

I purchased a new 625PC a couple months ago. Trigger seemed a bit rough, and, of course, heavy. Had the LGS do a trigger job, now has a 8 1/2 pound, very smooth trigger pull.  SA is probably 2 1/2 -3 or so.  I shoot DA only, and really like the gun.  I load extremely light 200 Gr SWCs.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down