Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question

+5
noylj
243winxb
davekp
Wobbley
Aprilian
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

crimp - Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question - Page 2 Empty Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question

Post by Aprilian Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Over on FB, KC made a post about his custom expander for CF that he made in order to not have the case resize the WC bullets.   I wondered if that applied to .45 and so took measurements of my two expanders - which are .450 and .451 (Redding and Lyman M, respectively).   I loaded and pulled various bullets and the .451 is fine for hard cast but for swaged, I was sizing the bullets by one thousandth diameter.   Another post on that conversation was linked to Noe Bullets' larger expander mandrels so I ordered a few in the larger sizes to play with for the swaged bullets I already own.  Those swaged bullets are on the shelf because they were inaccurate (and I now think I know part of the reason).

If I understand correctly, crimp and case mouth tension together are what stops setback and controls the pressure at which the bullet releases (both impacting accuracy).  The swaged bullets (pre-crimping) came out with one hammer blow vs. the hard cast taking 4-5 to dislodge the bullet.  If the case mouth tension is less (because of both the wider expansion and the softer bullet) do I need to crimp swaged more than my current .469" for hard cast?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aprilian on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

crimp - Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question - Page 2 Empty Re: Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question

Post by Gary Wells Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Optical comparator would be the correct definition/name.
Often found in manufacturing, machine shops, aerospace & inspection labs/facilities.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

crimp - Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question - Page 2 Empty Re: Expander diameter vs. crimp - a question

Post by Gary Wells Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Optical comparator would be the would be the correct definition/name.
Often found in manufacturing, machine shops, aerospace & inspection labs/facilities.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2